Heathrow or Gatwick?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Re: Heathrow or Gatwick?

Post by Woodtourer »

Hadn't thought about that. I will contact Iceland Air and ask.
Thanks!
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I just Messaged Iceland Air. Nope. Only 3 hours before a flight.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Gatwick is far better to the NR network - you can get to Victoria, Thameslink up to Bedford, Reading, Brighton and I think a couple of other south coast destinations like Littlehampton and Bognor direct. Heathrow has a very expensive train into Paddington then various buses to local destinations and of course the National Express. I've found that bus drivers are usually very reluctant to carry my bike boxes - even the Railair (a coach) to where I live in Reading.

If you want to unpack and flytip your box somewhere around the airport the roads around both are very nice.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Spoke with Iceland Air and I can only check bags 3 hours before a flight.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

willswitchengage wrote:
If you want to unpack and flytip your box somewhere around the airport the roads around both are very nice.

Mm, hardly a great advert for cyclists.
Sweep
hufty

Post by hufty »

I thought that at first but then I thought no he/she must mean leave the box in the airport, the roads in the environs are nice. I usually get the box open straight away in the luggage claim area, get the bike wheelable at the very least, rideable if some jobsworth isn't in my face, then leave the flattened box somewhere appropriate eg with all the other luggage detritus.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Sweep wrote:
willswitchengage wrote:

Indeed. Not sure recommending flytipping on the surrounding roads is a great advert.

Shame there couldn't be a place to leave the boxes, as presumably they're pretty generic and could be of use to another cycle tourist.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

hufty wrote:I thought that at first but then I thought no he/she must mean leave the box in the airport, the roads in the environs are nice. I usually get the box open straight away in the luggage claim area, get the bike wheelable at the very least, rideable if some jobsworth isn't in my face, then leave the flattened box somewhere appropriate eg with all the other luggage detritus.

My only return trip avec velo was into Heathrow, bike in CTC clear bag.

I took so long reassembling it (lack of practice mainly. Plus fat fingers.), that the airport wombles took the bag away as rubbish without me noticing. I was £30 down!!! :P

So I wouldn't feel bad about leaving a complete cardboard (i.e. recyclable) box there.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Sweep wrote:
willswitchengage wrote:

I thought I was suitably sarcastic. Apparently not. I apologise.

For other readers: I've unpacked my bike from boxes before in the arrivals lounge on many occasions and found helpful airport staff members have always offered onward and responsible disposal of my large pieces of cardboard and foam.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Last year when we flew into Helsinki I contacted the airport ahead of time and made sure I could leave our boxes. Got the okay. Just pushed them off in a corner and off we went!