Locking Old Posts

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Vorpal

Re: Locking Old Posts

Post by Vorpal »

simonhill wrote:
richardfm wrote:I quite like reading threads resurrected from the dead. I wouldn't like to see old threads locked

Richard you will still be able to see all the old posts. I am only advocating locking them. On your "most favourite forum", the Tea Shop, there are 158 pages with 50 topics per page. Plenty to choose from there.

PH: Highlighting the age might be a workable compromise. although, I still prefer a (openable) lock.

Remember, I not saying lock away forever. The last reply could say something like:

This topic has been locked due to inactivity. To reopen, click here (reply box opens) and briefly explain why to a moderator.

Would you like to volunteer to screen these unlocking posts?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One may subscribe to threads that interest one, or bookmark them
Or unsubscribe
I clicked 'notify me when a reply is posted', so I get a Noti for any replies on a thread where I posted

Simples :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've seen a fair number of discussions revived to very good effect, and not noticed any problems with out of date information. In fact (admittedly on a different cycling forum), I've just contributed to a thread that has been revived several times over a decade. Far better than starting again.

So another vote against the motion, I'm afraid.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are more than a million posts here, comparable to a library with a million books

Wikipedia has a 'random' function that enables one to learn something one never wanted to learn, Plus One!
Thread resurrection has a similar effect
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

All finished?

Given the unpopularity of my suggestion and that there is no technical mechanism to do it, I am happy to withdraw it.

I would just like to add that some posters (seem to?) think or imply that the posts would be permanently closed. This was never my intention and I did say that they could easily be reopened.

Also, somewhat amused to be told to concentrate on my cycling by one of the most prolific and argumentative posters on the forum. Nonetheless, I will take the advice as I am off on a 2 month tour on Monday.

Tam biet
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote:All finished?

Maybe ..... don't you dare close this topic!!!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Tee hee.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonhill wrote:..
somewhat amused to be told to concentrate on my cycling by one of the most prolific and argumentative posters on the forum. Nonetheless, I will take the advice as I am off on a 2 month tour on Monday.

Tam biet

'Go and ride your bikeS' [plural] he wrote, +1
Many of us including I spend too much time on these fora and too little cycling :wink:
Did walk 10 km today, mind