Helmet sizing?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tykeboy2003

Helmet sizing?

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I've never worn a helmet but following my accident on 13th Jan (cracked skull, broken shoulder blade and several cracked ribs) my other half says she will leave me if I don't wear one in future...

I've seen one on ebay with 3 sizes, small (53 to 55cm), medium (55 to 57cm) and large (57 to 59cm). Exactly where should the measurement be taken.
thatsnotmyname

Re: Helmet sizing?

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Around the circumference of your head - across the forehead and above the ears.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Beat me to it!
Yes, it's circumference for (modern metric) hat sizing.

I prefer the Imperial way of diameter. I've a small head ind it's size 63/4", where most men have 67/8".
Mick F. Cornwall
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

My advice would be to go to a bike shop and try some on. I found that whatever the size was listed as, some fit better than others and you also have to factor in comfort. I really fancied a Giro one but having tried it on in Halfords, the size I needed (and the biggest they had) was a bit tight, and I found it very uncomfortable around the pads. Others had the pads held on with plastic clips that dig into your head (seriously? Why would they design it like that?? :? ) Ended up with a cheapy Ridge one, which was the "same size" but a far better fit and more comfortable than any others they had.

I have a Specialized one now, because... you know... fanboy. :mrgreen:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Darkman wrote:My advice would be to go to a bike shop and try some on.

+1 on that. I was given a very expensive helmet a couple of years back, and although the size matches my hat size it's made for brachycephalics (squareheads, so to speak) as opposed to dolicocephalics (longer front to back than side to side). I'm the latter so I can't wear the thing.

That said, a few months back I took a flyer on a 30€ Chinese job from Amazon. It comes with a magnetic visor, it's a perfect fit and I can use visor and rain cover at once, which I couldn't with the pricey one.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote:Beat me to it!

I prefer the Imperial way of diameter. I've a small head ind it's size 63/4", where most men have 67/8".

Yebbut the UK measurement assumes that your head is perfectly circular. This is daft because UKsians are predominantly long-headed front to back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalic_ ... ex_map.jpg
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

tykeboy2003 wrote:I've never worn a helmet but following my accident on 13th Jan (cracked skull, broken shoulder blade and several cracked ribs) my other half says she will leave me if I don't wear one in future...

I think you've got more serious problems than the fit of a hat, then. Does she know they don't work overall? I mean, they offer undeniable impact protection, but do not significantly improve cyclist outcomes for reasons only suspected but not yet fully known.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Audax67 wrote:

Yebbut the UK measurement assumes that your head is perfectly circular.
So does the metric system.

All it needs is Pi and a conversion to metric. Same thing in the end, but the numbers of the Imperial system are smaller.

63/4" = 17.145cm x Pi = 53.86cm

Whilst we're on the subject, my glove size is Size 10 and I take Size 9 shoes. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

Yebbut the UK measurement assumes that your head is perfectly circular.
So does the metric system.

All it needs is Pi and a conversion to metric. Same thing in the end, but the numbers of the Imperial system are smaller.

63/4" = 17.145cm x Pi = 53.86cm

Whilst we're on the subject, my glove size is Size 10 and I take Size 9 shoes. :wink:

And whilst on the subject of size...

No, I won't.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

mjr wrote:I think you've got more serious problems than the fit of a hat, then. Does she know they don't work overall? I mean, they offer undeniable impact protection, but do not significantly improve cyclist outcomes for reasons only suspected but not yet fully known.

I've previously explained all the reasons why I've never worn one and she admits that one would probably have made no difference 2 weeks ago but to be honest I can't bothered with the argument any more. All my kids have said they want me to wear one and virtually everyone else I've spoken to has said the same. Logic and evidence are all out the window....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you and I see your issue.

I started wearing one because of "wife pressure" and "daughter pressure" back in 2005.
Put my foot down and stopped wearing one in 2015.
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

Audax67 wrote:Yebbut the UK measurement assumes that your head is perfectly circular. This is daft because UKsians are predominantly long-headed front to back.

+1. I've got the particular problem of a 66cm head, when most manufacturers consider 64cm to be XXL, and even then some don't make helmets that big. The few that make 66cm ones tend to make them round, so even they may not fit. My LBS spent ten years looking for one to fit me. Every now and then I'd go in for some brake blocks, they'd proudly offer me a new make of helmet, and then they'd look crest-fallen when it didn't fit. Finally they managed it, just about. Dunno whether I'd ever get another. Fortunately I only use it where it's a requirement, but that's a different discussion. Rest of the time it lives in a helmet case in a dark place, in the hope that it won't deteriorate or get damaged.

So yes, try before buy.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The evidence is that an ill-fitting helmet will actually INCREASE injury so let's start with basics.

If you buy shoes, they are all different. In one style and make you will wear a size 11, in another a 12, one will fit because it is wider then the other, and helmets are the same. The more space between you and the helmet the less efficient. Adjusting the webbing inside, or fitting pads is NOT a fix for a basically poor-fitting helmet

For example, I found Met helmets short and wide, and Giro helmets long, but narrow. Specialized fit me fine.

Also, E-Bay helmets (if genuine- there are fakes) will also only comply to the inferior EN1078 standard. A Snell B90 standard helmet has been proven to withstand greater and more diverse impacts.

Forget E-Bay, get yourself down to a good bike shop and discuss what you need, make sure that it fits well, and is comfortable. Then buy one
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

drossall wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Yebbut the UK measurement assumes that your head is perfectly circular. This is daft because UKsians are predominantly long-headed front to back.

+1. I've got the particular problem of a 66cm head, when most manufacturers consider 64cm to be XXL, and even then some don't make helmets that big. The few that make 66cm ones tend to make them round, so even they may not fit. My LBS spent ten years looking for one to fit me. Every now and then I'd go in for some brake blocks, they'd proudly offer me a new make of helmet, and then they'd look crest-fallen when it didn't fit. Finally they managed it, just about. Dunno whether I'd ever get another. Fortunately I only use it where it's a requirement, but that's a different discussion. Rest of the time it lives in a helmet case in a dark place, in the hope that it won't deteriorate or get damaged.

So yes, try before buy.

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is based in the US, and whilst helmet advocates they do recognise there are issues they do a list of helmets for lare heads. US-based, so they may or may not be available in the UK, but gives you an idea of the options

BHSI _ Helmets for large heads