Whether TF2 all weather lube is same as Triflon

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Whether TF2 all weather lube is same as Triflon

Post by fastpedaller »

As title...… Somewhere in the depths of all the containers in my garage is a small bottle of Triflon. This lubricant first came to my attention at a trade fair where an electric motor shaft was stopped by the friction of the application of a rigid lever - with a few drops of this miracle Teflon-inclusive product it was not possible to stop the motor (I know, I tried with all my youthful might!). Riding fixed gear I could feel the difference when using the fluid. Needless to say I'll find the elusive small bottle if I buy another, but of course it isn't available now.... So to the title question, does anyone know if TF2 all weather lube the same beast just marketed under a different name?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Whether TF2 all weather lube is same as Triflon

Post by Mick F »

Seems it's a 1980s thing. Just Googled it, but all the references to Triflon is from way back when.
Triflow comes up though.

Found this advert.
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 13.14.47.png
Mick F. Cornwall
meandros

Post by meandros »

That's a neat little find! Why not send it over to ProjectFarm over on youtube to test it out? He tested an old can of motor oil a few episodes back and was intriguing to watch for us #greasejunkies (shout out to Edd China! Luv to see him back at it! Brilliant lad!)...
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have begun to wonder whether I should still be using stuff with Teflon. Isn't it effectively releasing micro plastic into the environment?
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I have begun to wonder whether I should still be using stuff with Teflon. Isn't it effectively releasing micro plastic into the environment?

Yes, but at least PTFE is very unreactive IIRC. PTFE bottles are one of the few things you can store certain acids in.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mick F wrote:Seems it's a 1980s thing. Just Googled it, but all the references to Triflon is from way back when.
Triflow comes up though.

Found this advert.Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 13.14.47.png

Well done Mick - I did a G search and didn't get that. I'll try with the hyphen :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Maybe the nearest substance to Tri-Flon is Tri-Flow?
Thanks to Mick's lead I've now found Tri-Flow (also from the US of A) and here's the testing which includes the test I described earlier.
https://www.triflow.co.uk/resources/videos/

Maybe I'll just try some and see if I get the effect similar to 30 years ago! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get back to us on this.

Slightly different subject, but back in the 80s it was a time when I was experimenting with chain lubes and chain cleaning.
LPS3 was the best stuff I found for chain lube.
It was marketed in those days as a bicycle chain lube via bike shops and mail order ..................... but nowadays it's marketed as a rust-proofer, though it does mention chains ............. but not bicycle chains.
I often wonder if it's the same stuff.

https://www.techsil.co.uk/lps3-rust-inhibitor-380ml
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I remember LPS3 as being good also - Is the 'rust inhibitor' a different beast though? Difficult to tell. The danger is that once manufacturers have found a brand that works they sometimes use it for many products...… how many WD40 products are there now? makes for some careful scrutiny of the 'shelves of many products'
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

just found this comment online...…
When I owned a motorcycle shop we used to buy and use Tri-Flow by the case. It penetrates like crazy, and it's amazingly slippery. Originally it was called Tri-Flon, but I think they got into a trade name conflict and changed the name to Tri-Flow instead. Unless the formula has changed, it contains some micro-fine teflon particles that make it so slippery.
So it may well be the same product?
Once I have a bottle of the Tri-flow I may be able to compare it to the Tri-flon which will inevitably turn up from where it's hidden in my garage :lol:
ardeidae

Post by ardeidae »

Last edited by ardeidae on 12 Jun 2020, 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The Tri-Flow arrived toady, and the fluid looks exactly as I remember the Tri-Flon. I've put some on the chain of the Winter bike (single speed) and the turbo trainer bike, and (although it doesn't look 'thin') it flows into the chain nicely. The little bottle also has a tiny bore tube (1mm? - I didn't attempt to measure it) about 10cm long for precise application :D . I'll report back once I've ridden, but of course that will be subjective reporting :lol: There may be a placaebo effect! The real test will be on the geared bike, over several months to (try) to conclude if chain wear is less. I suspect this will so difficult to assess (unless the chain lasts for 2 years, in which case I'll be astonished). I note on the tech thread there's a 'chain test' :shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Keep us informed! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

American bike mechanics absolutely love tri-flow. Anything from sticky STIs to creaky gates, they will tell you to drizzle some Tri-Flow on it!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've using TF2 performance All Weather lube for a while now,review here:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=135010
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden