Garmin insert mount screws.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vetus Ossa

Garmin insert mount screws.

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Does anyone know that thread and head type are on these screws please.
Looking to buy some for a bodge I have in mind.

EDIT

I think this not an actual Garmin fitting but those are the screws I want.
Beauty will save the world.
andrew_s

Re: Garmin insert mount screws.

Post by andrew_s »

M3 x 6mm, 2mm allen countersunk head for the K-edge version
other versions of the Garmin mount might use one of the smaller torx keys (small allen round off easily)
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thanks Andrew.
I know from experience the small allen screw ones round off far too easily :cry:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only round off easily with inaccurate Allen keys.
Most DIY are inaccurate, but good quality ones are fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I suppose as an ex pipe fitter I am more used to handling 48" Stilsons, and using a small allen key properly is probably beyond me :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Love it!

Talking of "big spanners" there was a big ring spanner specially designed for the nuts that held the propellors on Leander Class frigates.
Each ship in those days had one bolted on an internal bulkhead down aft.

These spanners were maybe 2ft across the flats and maybe six or eight feet long. They were lifted with chain hoists into position and hit with sledge hammers to loosen to remove the propellors when in dry dock, and then to fit new ones.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have seen a propeller being fitted on a frigate, forget which one and it was certainly interesting.
Some of the yard's slingers were very talented in their own way and at times brave.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Absolutely!

I was an electronics engineer involved in weapon systems and radars plus external communications.
I still knew about "whole ship" issues and in dry dock for maintenance and refits, we all took an interest in what was going on down at the bottom.

Propellors - or correctly known as screws - were held in the dockyard as spares. They were dressed up and sharpened ready for the next ship of the class. When they were fitted, they went onto a keyed taper and they had to be lapped on using blue to check on the taper mating. This meant the screws were on and off for days on end, and when the men hit the spanners with the sledge hammers, the whole ship would reverberate with every single blow.

Not only was it a skilled job, but the men were tough and very strong too.
They had muscles on their muscles! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:Only round off easily with inaccurate Allen keys.
Most DIY are inaccurate, but good quality ones are fine.

That does assume the screw sockets are accurate.
They often aren't; for example, the screws that stop the brake blocks falling of Shimano Dura-type holders. When I used those, vice grips were often the tool of choice, rather than the 1.5 or 2 mm allen that was the official tool.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have Shimano 105 on Moulton.
Just checked to make sure of what I say ......................... and the 1.5mm Allen key fits perfectly.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just wait until you try those pretty alloy combined Garmin/light mounts from China. 6 bolts arrived. 4 had incomplete threads. 4, not all the same, had off centre sockets. 2 out of 4 internal threads were useless and one out of 2 plastic Garmin inserts snapped the first time it was used. As I hadn't expected any of these bits in the bag I wasn't complaining and the actual bracket is great. Bit of work with a tap and some better bolts and job's a good 'un.
The allen key had more "chrome" than underlying metal and one end had 5 sides as well. It has filed up into a nice seal pick though.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Yes, you’re quite right, I know because I have one, it’s the one I mangled the heads on.
Mine is actually quite well made, at least everything lined up and the thread were good, just that the screws were made of cheese. I have read that the small screws often work loose so put a dab of loctite on mine so I am never going to be able to remove them but as everything is working well at the moment, I am quite happy with it especially as it only cost £7.
I want a similar setup for another bike but may use a K – Edge one if I can talk myself into spending that much money on a bracket.
I like to think I know how tight, tight is and do have decent allen keys by the way.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On the other hand ......... if you pardon the pun?
Buy one of these, and your Garmin will sit on your wrist.

viewtopic.php?t=134310
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Did you send it back?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote::D :D
Love it!

Talking of "big spanners" there was a big ring spanner specially designed for the nuts that held the propellors on Leander Class frigates.
Each ship in those days had one bolted on an internal bulkhead down aft.

These spanners were maybe 2ft across the flats and maybe six or eight feet long. They were lifted with chain hoists into position and hit with sledge hammers to loosen to remove the propellors when in dry dock, and then to fit new ones.

I can think of a couple of occasions trying to remove bottom brackets when one of those might have come in handy!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.