Double ended inner tubes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Double ended inner tubes

Post by iandriver »

I've never heard of them but stumbled across these.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/inner-tubes-double-ended/

I've got a couple of bikes where removing the rear wheel isn't so simple, coaster brake on the tandem and an IHG on another.

Any experience of them here? Easy to fit? Work Ok?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Re: Double ended inner tubes

Post by mercalia »

Now I have seen it all :lol:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Nothing new under the sun, many years ago out for a ride with my Dad he punctured, a largish hole in the tyre and a split in the tube. Tyre was patched with the piece of canvas that repair outfits included back then. No spare inner tube, not unusual back then, tube was cut either side of the hole string tied tightly round each end and the two end connected with a piece of string, inner tube replaced and ride continued. My first lesson in road side mechanics.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Never tried one but my understanding is while they do make replacing the inner tube easy.
But because you cannot remove the tyre they can make finding the exact cause of the puncture a lot harder if it's only something like a small shard of glass/flint.
So the risk of a repuncture is also higher.
So you need to balance the ease against the risk.

Luck ............. :D
PH

Post by PH »

As an alternative - When I had a IGH folder with an awkward wheel removal, I kept a spare tube already threaded through the frame and taped to it. I never had cause to use it, the bike only ever rode the couple of miles to the station and the only puncture in the couple of years I used it was in sight of home.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Good old Gaadi tubes. They are quite handy if you really can’t get the rear wheel off easily. I’ve used them a couple of times, and they have saved my bacon, however they really are a last resort / get you home fix, where you may have more time / the tools to get a proper repair done.
Marcus Aurelius

In order to eliminate any possibility of punctures, I’ve been using Tannus airless tyres on one of my winter road bikes for a few years, and I actually quite like them, but they aren’t to everyone’s taste. However, Tannus have come up with this as another bulletproofing idea.

https://tannus.com/armour/

I may give them a go, on one of my bikes.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Interesting. To be honest, I've never found fixing a puncture without removing a wheel that much of a problem. Though the old Schwalbe Dureme Tandem tyres (no longer made I don't think :( ) make Marathon pluses look like they are made out of paper, so not really a problem.

Might shove one on my next order just to take a look, real emergency thing.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

iandriver wrote:I've never found fixing a puncture without removing a wheel that much of a problem.

Neither did I when my eyesight was better, but I struggle to find the puncture without taking the tube out these days.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the ends of the double ended tube can be problem areas because there are more joints in the tube and more chance that something is going to rub and chafe in service.

But they have a place for sure. One of the side effects of using one is that most probably, you are going to destroy the old (conventional) tube by removing it by cutting it, whether it was fixable or not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

where is this need to remove the wheel to repair a puncture; I must be doing some thing wrong?
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote:
iandriver wrote:I've never found fixing a puncture without removing a wheel that much of a problem.

Neither did I when my eyesight was better, but I struggle to find the puncture without taking the tube out these days.

I find my hearing is more useful than my eyesight for finding where the hiss is coming from. In noisy places, I sometimes spray water onto the tyre to see some bubbles.

I carry a sealant canister in winter to deal with those times when it is just too cold to stop 5-10 minutes and do it properly. That nearly always works for small stabs, but is messy and effectively destroys the tube.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:In order to eliminate any possibility of punctures, I’ve been using Tannus airless tyres on one of my winter road bikes for a few years, and I actually quite like them, but they aren’t to everyone’s taste. However, Tannus have come up with this as another bulletproofing idea.

Just use (most of) the carcase off an old tubular?
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Might be stating the blindingly obvious, you actually need 2, one on the bike and the spare.
Few years ago one if my CTC group punctured and was quite chuffed because he had one if these tubes as a spare until someone pointed out (we thought it unlikely he had bought 2!) if he had a standard tube on the bike then the wheel gad to come out anyway. He was quite deflated !
Marcus Aurelius

fastpedaller wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:In order to eliminate any possibility of punctures, I’ve been using Tannus airless tyres on one of my winter road bikes for a few years, and I actually quite like them, but they aren’t to everyone’s taste. However, Tannus have come up with this as another bulletproofing idea.

Just use (most of) the carcase off an old tubular?

They have a tendency to pinch puncture the tube, and they still don’t stop big pointy objects. Most of the time I just get on and sort the punctures out, it’s just when I’m on a super tight schedule ( commute to work at 04:50 in the morning for example ) that I really don’t want to be getting any punctures.