** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cunobelin »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:Oh yeah Farage and Johnson's tired old "they need us more than we need them" mantra trotted out once again.

I haven't trotted anything out, I've offered you the facts from the European Automobile Manufacturing Association.

Really rather irrelevant though?

Whether we import more or less cars has no connection to reality. We could import more packets of birdseed, shoelaces or even lentils than we export, but as single solitary items, it has no relevance whatsoever on the wider picture

It is all the other factors that will make a difference.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Well I’m relieved the ‘Brexit’ process is over. Now we can get on with business without the mountains of horse poo red tape, and general nonsense which has been imposed upon us by Brussels. I’m presuming eventually we won’t be bound by the current VAT levy regs, and we can move to a system of local business taxation, like in the U S of A, and we won’t have free loaders from any third world nations who join the E.U. In future, being able to take advantage of our overly generous benefits systems. Well that’s a relief. Let’s get on with it.

In keeping with the spirit of the times, I have no idea if these are your actual views, or a parody of the views of supporters of Brexit. Impossible to tell!

He certainly seems to have swallowed all of the brexiter bullsh1t, that's for sure. And there's a very good reason why 'third world' nations won't be joining the EU. Something to do with 'not being within the continent of Europe', I think...
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on 31 Jan 2020, 9:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: As for the other things I mentioned its a matter of public record reported many times in the press and TV news.

And yet strangely appear on no websites that you can link(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Well can that last word be "Goodbye"?

Certainly. Just make sure the free trade deal also includes freedom of movement.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mjr wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: As for the other things I mentioned its a matter of public record reported many times in the press and TV news.

40% youth unemployment in Club Med countries? Well known fact.. who needs links...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:You will find a similar story in other car manufacturing countries. A big drop off in car manufacturing which has particularly hit diesel car production, which the UK has been particularly big in. Think about the VW scandal, recent concerns about diesel emissions, and uncertainty over future government policies on diesel cars (not just in the UK), all more or less coinciding with the run up to Brexit. Jaguar Landrover is finding it harder to sell cars in places like China, where Brexit has no impact.

Another cycling forum has a running gag where every piece of negative Brexit impact news is dismissed as in some way linked to the change of policy on diesel.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:
mjr wrote:

40% youth unemployment in Club Med countries? Well known fact.. who needs links...

33% in Spain, 29% in Italy, according to https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL ... S?view=map which is not good but not 40%.

We need links because what you claim so often seems untrue if we ever search it ourselves.
PH

Post by PH »

Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:Oh yeah Farage and Johnson's tired old "they need us more than we need them" mantra trotted out once again.

I haven't trotted anything out, I've offered you the facts from the European Automobile Manufacturing Association.

Whether we import more or less cars has no connection to reality. We could import more packets of birdseed, shoelaces or even lentils than we export, but as single solitary items, it has no relevance whatsoever on the wider picture

Of course it's relevant, I find the idea that it isn't absurd. Have you ever looked at a trade agreement? They're full of reciprocal trading terms for similar industries, that's what trade is. We want to sell you our cars, you want us to buy your cars, how are the numbers not going to be a factor in that conversation?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Fireworks set off here after 11pm. Leavers flouting the law yet again, triumphalist tits.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

PH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:I haven't trotted anything out, I've offered you the facts from the European Automobile Manufacturing Association.

Of course it's relevant, I find the idea that it isn't absurd. Have you ever looked at a trade agreement? They're full of reciprocal trading terms for similar industries, that's what trade is. We want to sell you our cars, you want us to buy your cars, how are the numbers not going to be a factor in that conversation?

Last time:

Trade in both directions benefits both parties, regardles of net deficit.

40% of our trade is with the EU, 10% of their trade is with us.

Ergo, we need them much more than they need us, therefore, they will dictate the terms.

It's really that simple.
PH

Post by PH »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
PH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Last time:

Trade in both directions benefits both parties, regardles of net deficit.

Ergo, we need them much more than they need us, therefore, they will dictate the terms.

It's really that simple.

Go and read some trade agreements and as I've asked before stop with the over simplifications, it really isn't that simple.
And please stop the patronising, if you want a proper economic debate with me we can have one. To start with you'd need to drop this nonsense

The EU is not, never has been and never will be a single economy.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:I haven't trotted anything out, I've offered you the facts from the European Automobile Manufacturing Association.

You still believe the ONLY trade will be in cars?

A single trade is not any form of marker for the whole picture.

If the UK exported twice as meant lentils as it imported, we could claim the opposite was true.

"We want to sell you our lentils, you want us to buy your lentils , how are the numbers not going to be a factor in that conversation?

Are lentils a more accurate or less accurate example?

You simply cannot simplify it to one convenient myth
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

From "The Brexit"

Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:For me, I wish the project well.
Me too.

Oldjohnw wrote:But my view that it was orchestrated and led by a seedy, unclassy bunch of lying, greedy, thieving, crooked, charmless, narcissistic charlatans will remain.
A more balanced point of view would be that the Leavers were motivated by the heart and by a desire for independence, whereas the remainers were motivated by the head and by money and security.

Many of us never heeded the seedy, unclassy bunch of lying, greedy, thieving, crooked, charmless, narcissistic charlatans on both sides and took little or no notice of them.

And:

It was leavers who got fined for breaking electoral law, taking dodgy money, Russian interference. And not a single leave MP was murdered on our streets.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:From "The Brexit"

:lol:

We will, to coin a phrase, be royally bent over.