** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Oldjohnw »

Isn't it wonderful to be back in control. No unelected European bureaucrats now. Just Mr Cummings, elected MP for where was it? And billionaire newspaper owners, and old Etonians, as one against the elite.

No more immigrants. Suddenly, hospital waiting lists have gone, our trains run on time, no more homelessness. The climate has been sorted. Ah, the fresh air of freedom.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I couldn't agree more. Deffo a price worth paying, innit. My 9 year old now has a future again. The sun has already begun to rise - I see it too has freed itself from the shackles of Brussels. Truly a memorable day, and I've already had a poo, which of course under the old Directive I couldn't have done until Wednesday. Truly the sweetest smell of freedom :D
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Now that we have finally left the EU and it appears there's no going back, it's about time we took stock of the idiocy of it all.

1. Brexiters have been hoodwinked. Faced with a binary question, they chose the wrong answer. But these are the kind of people who don't like to think too hard, nor consider the outcome about anything. So that worked for them.

2. In the next 12-24 months we will see what kind of negotiating hand and skill Boris has. I'm thinking 'poor' and ditto. Very.

3. The sword the EU has over Britain is financial passporting for the City of London. Take that away and Britain is broken overnight. Fact. 15% hole in GDP. Utter disaster.

4. There's no going back. Buyers remorse will kick in strongly in the next few months, when we see exactly how little the UK has to bargain with and the pound of flesh Europe wants in return for even the smallest of concessions.

In a nutshell no country in the history of history has ever been so stupid as to impose sanctions upon itself. Expect the blame to fall fiercely at the feet of Brexiters. This blame could easily escalate into action and reprisals. If the economic apocalypse of recinding of passporting occurs, expect a recession the likes of which and the length no one can even begin to imagine. Apocalypse is not too strong a word. Neither is stupidity. The wounds and division will not heal easily, in fact i see division escalating as the reality of the situation become daily more apparent.

Well done that Yes man. Take a bow.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boney,John
Don't forget the friendly embrace of Mr Trump waiting to help us in that freedom,the world is indeed a better place........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: .......... And:

It was leavers who got fined for breaking electoral law, taking dodgy money, Russian interference. And not a single leave MP was murdered on our streets.
I'm a leaver, and I know many many leavers too, and not one of them has been fined for breaking electoral law.

Don't tar all us leavers with the same brush please.

You are referring to the politicians. As far as I'm concerned - and I've said this before on here - sack the lot of them. Anyone who wants to be a career politician should be barred from ever standing for parliament.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:

It was leavers who got fined for breaking electoral law, taking dodgy money, Russian interference. And not a single leave MP was murdered on our streets.
I'm a leaver, and I know many many leavers too, and not one of them has been fined for breaking electoral law.

You are referring to the politicians. As far as I'm concerned - and I've said this before on here - sack the lot of them. Anyone who wants to be a career politician should be barred from ever standing for parliament.

Whilst I'm a remainer I agree with you that many of the MP's aren't fit for the job. Just a career for too many of them which could possibly lead to them having their own TV show when they lose their seat.
At least you won't be watching it. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Watching what? :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BrightonRock wrote: ............ Brexiters have been hoodwinked. ...........
You're at it too.
Tarring all the leavers with the same brush.

No hoodwinking going on in my experience.
As I've said, I know many many leavers, and not one single one has been hoodwinked.

Every single one of those people are like me.
We shouldn't have joined in the first place and have always said so.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Franco, You have set up a chain of thought there? Name all of the reject/defective former M.P.'s who have gone on to treading the "Media/4th Estate" route after their Damascine Conversion!
Recent pedlars of pap that I call to mind - Michael Portillo, Ed Balls, Kilroy Silk, Brian Walden, Harold Wilson, Alan Clarke, A.P. Herbert, ?
Add your own pick to the Roll of Change.
My head is hurting now!
As the clock ticked over to "Freedom Time" I was in the Man Cave, putting pieces into the Wallace & Grommit jig saw, drinking my hot Bovril, then turned to reading "Auntie at War", Edward Stourton's relating of how the BBC coped with all of the events of WW2. With the DeGaulle influence trying to show himself as the saviour of France then ultimately enjoying himself keeping the U.K. out of the E.E.C. for as long as he could.
Of course he never was quite the Hero of the Republic hat he perceived himself, no one can discover quite how he went from a Colonel in the army to become "Le General Grande"? The idea of the U.K. having a greater or more effective voice in the affairs of Europe than his country, which had twice within 30 years had to be rescued from the clutches of the aspiring German Empire, he didn't want to be put back in his place as a nobody!
So, no fireworks, no overflowing glass of bubbly, just sitting there trying to live with the various forms of pain and suffering that my ailing body puts me through, no time for recriminations against the folk who have condemned us to constant squabbling since the Referendum, I just want to see joy in each of the days I hopefully get to see!
Travel outside the U.K. is not a possibility for me, but I don't wish others to be as limited as I am, indeed our daughter is booked to do a number of raids over La Manche. One includes visiting Auschwitz, where 75 years ago the few survivors enjoyed freedom for the first time after the death of the evil despot! That the inhabitants of Germany knew at least something of the affairs happening there, it was known even in the USA & through occupied Europe since 1943, so it must surely be a case of not wishing to accept what was happening.
Since 1945 how many cases of ethnic cleansing & genocide have taken place? Far too many, so the E.U. have not been the great saviour of personal freedom that some folk would have us believe.
In truth all power hungry people who would put themselves forward as the saviour of the poor people on this planet should be incarcerated to save us from the touch! View your fellow man as a potential friend, but ensure that we can survive to give life not existence.
We're screwing up the planet, so will a mass transfer of population from one part of the planet to another part bring about sanity? I think not. Do your bit to save the bits we can have influence over. I don't view unlimited housing expansion in the South East to be either right or sustainable, there will be no green grass for anyone to be envious of. MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:

Agree but I was talking in my original post about those who orchestrated and lead the brexit movement, as you know. I mentioned several by name, one of whom is still in contempt of Parliament for not coming to a select committee to answer questions on funding. And the PM has so far supressed the Russia report.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:Agree but I was talking in my original post about those who orchestrated and lead the brexit movement, as you know.

Sorry.

I picked up on your generalisations of the post itself.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Franco, You have set up a chain of thought there? Name all of the reject/defective former M.P.'s who have gone on to treading the "Media/4th Estate" route after their Damascine Conversion!
Recent pedlars of pap that I call to mind - Michael Portillo, Ed Balls, Kilroy Silk, Brian Walden, Harold Wilson, Alan Clarke, A.P. Herbert, ?
Add your own pick to the Roll of Change.
My head is hurting now!
As the clock ticked over to "Freedom Time" I was in the Man Cave, putting pieces into the Wallace & Grommit jig saw, drinking my hot Bovril, then turned to reading "Auntie at War", Edward Stourton's relating of how the BBC coped with all of the events of WW2. With the DeGaulle influence trying to show himself as the saviour of France then ultimately enjoying himself keeping the U.K. out of the E.E.C. for as long as he could.
Of course he never was quite the Hero of the Republic hat he perceived himself, no one can discover quite how he went from a Colonel in the army to become "Le General Grande"? The idea of the U.K. having a greater or more effective voice in the affairs of Europe than his country, which had twice within 30 years had to be rescued from the clutches of the aspiring German Empire, he didn't want to be put back in his place as a nobody!
So, no fireworks, no overflowing glass of bubbly, just sitting there trying to live with the various forms of pain and suffering that my ailing body puts me through, no time for recriminations against the folk who have condemned us to constant squabbling since the Referendum, I just want to see joy in each of the days I hopefully get to see!
Travel outside the U.K. is not a possibility for me, but I don't wish others to be as limited as I am, indeed our daughter is booked to do a number of raids over La Manche. One includes visiting Auschwitz, where 75 years ago the few survivors enjoyed freedom for the first time after the death of the evil despot! That the inhabitants of Germany knew at least something of the affairs happening there, it was known even in the USA & through occupied Europe since 1943, so it must surely be a case of not wishing to accept what was happening.
Since 1945 how many cases of ethnic cleansing & genocide have taken place? Far too many, so the E.U. have not been the great saviour of personal freedom that some folk would have us believe.
In truth all power hungry people who would put themselves forward as the saviour of the poor people on this planet should be incarcerated to save us from the touch! View your fellow man as a potential friend, but ensure that we can survive to give life not existence.
We're screwing up the planet, so will a mass transfer of population from one part of the planet to another part bring about sanity? I think not. Do your bit to save the bits we can have influence over. I don't view unlimited housing expansion in the South East to be either right or sustainable, there will be no green grass for anyone to be envious of. MM

Most of which was pioneered by the British!

There was unrest in Tomor as well... the EU totally failed there along with Rwanda. But then again so did the UK, US and the Marshall Islands

Of course, the more intelligent would realise that as these were not member countries the EU had no jurisdiction or responsibility
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Agree but I was talking in my original post about those who orchestrated and lead the brexit movement, as you know.

Sorry.

I picked up on your generalisations of the post itself.

I agree with you about generalisations and try to avoid them.
John
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

At least when I go to fill up the car this morning(I've been holding off for today) the ruthless EU imposed minimum Duty on fuel should have disappeared so I'm assuming my Diesel will be about 20p a litre cheaper?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

100%JR wrote:At least when I go to fill up the car this morning(I've been holding off for today) the ruthless EU imposed minimum Duty on fuel should have disappeared so I'm assuming my Diesel will be about 20p a litre cheaper?

I heard one guy claiming we'd now get our infrastructure back.
John