Jardin de Tuileries

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IanCh

Jardin de Tuileries

Post by IanCh »

Does anyone know if it is permissible to ride a bike through the gardens (Jardin de Tuileries) between the Place de Concorde and the Louvre gallery in Paris?
DevonDamo

Re: Jardin de Tuileries

Post by DevonDamo »

I was about to jump in and say 'yes' because my experience of cycling across Paris was that you could pretty much go anywhere and do anything so long as you were confident/assertive at fighting your way through the traffic. However, I just looked on Google StreetView and that crunchy gravelly surface looks suspiciously devoid of any tyre marks, which makes me think it's a no-go zone for bikes.

Update: Found it! Take a look here and see if you can spot the sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/J4D4dJUDLj5F6c5q6
Graham

Post by Graham »

Confirmed : Cycling is prohibited there . . . . .

This sign, at the Louvre end, shows a person-on-bike symbol with strikethrough.
https://goo.gl/maps/6n85GkgxWMwC2tKEA
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe you could get away with telling any cops your dont speak French :wink:
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

In Paris these days you're more likely to be telling the heavily armed anti-terrorist soldiers that you don't speak French :wink:

I think you'd be fine pushing the bike through the Tuileries. It wouldn't be much fun cycling anyway, with all the gravel, cobbles and tourists.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No cycling in the garden. There are cycle lanes on the road to the northeast (Rivoli?) if I remember correctly, maybe something on the riverside too, plus the quai roads get closed to motorists each summer. The difficulty in Paris is stringing the cycleways together, more so than London now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:maybe you could get away with telling any cops your dont speak French :wink:

How does not speaking a country's language excuse you from breaking it's laws?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:maybe you could get away with telling any cops your dont speak French :wink:

How does not speaking a country's language excuse you from breaking it's laws?

jeeeeeeeze
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mercalia wrote:jeeeeeeeze

Tough crowd.