Prescription Sunglasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cunobelin

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Post by Cunobelin »

The Rudy Project RX was my solution.

The glasses and interchangeable lenses are fine, and then simply get the prescription fitted into the insert.

100%JR

Re: Pescription Sunglasses

Post by 100%JR »

Gizmo wrote:
100%JR wrote:Optilabs.
Been using them for 10+ years.
I now need variofocals and I got mine on offer for £199 IIRC.
I would not even consider wearing my day specs on the bike as they were over £600!
These are my current(will need to replace this year as they're 4 years old in June)

Photochromic/Variofocal.Never used the red strap no need as they've been on some serious MTB DHs and just don't budge 8)

Wow they do look perfect plus so cheap at £199! My varifocals day glasses were £600 last year so I was dreading that I'd have to fork out similar price hence the reason why I wanted one that I could use for both cycling and skiing. Which opticians supplies them and were you able to try the frames out before ordering? What does IIRC stands for?

https://www.optilabs.com/
IIRC-If I remember correctly.
If in Croyden you can call in to try if not they will send up to three frames to try before you buy 8)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cunobelin wrote:The Rudy Project RX was my solution.

The glasses and interchangeable lenses are fine, and then simply get the prescription fitted into the insert.

This is the route I am currently going down, have always used 2 for 1 offer to buy a second pair of varifocals for the bike... usually a bit deeper than every day, but still struggle with sun coming over the top or around the sides. With Tescos opticians now being Vision Express they have sports glasses, so am getting a pair of Salice cycling glasses with separate insert.... so hoping in future will only have to change the insert.... Have never paid anywhere in the region of £600 :shock:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

eileithyia wrote: Have never paid anywhere in the region of £600 :shock:

Quite easy really:-
Vision Express
Oakley frames £199-260
Ultra-thin varifocal lenses with all coatings....anything up to £400+.
My last pair were £639!!!!
So £199 for Varifocal/Transitions Sun/riding glasses is a no-brainer!
RickH

Post by RickH »

I had an email today from Planet X which includes a £20 glasses & inserts bundle. All you'd need is to get your prescription put in the insert.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Gizmo wrote:Hi,

I really do miss wearing a pair of wrap round sunglasses but sadly they're no longer suitable for my eyes as I need varifocals, which for some reason, cannot be done on a wrap round framed glasses.

Do you need varifocals for cycling? I've worn varifocals for decades, but the glasses I wear for cycling are bifocal, distance and reading, I don't need the bit in the middle.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PH wrote:

I really do miss wearing a pair of wrap round sunglasses but sadly they're no longer suitable for my eyes as I need varifocals, which for some reason, cannot be done on a wrap round framed glasses.

Do you need varifocals for cycling? I've worn varifocals for decades, but the glasses I wear for cycling are bifocal, distance and reading, I don't need the bit in the middle.

I can't get used to bi-focal so my riding glasses have to be the same as my day glasses!
PH

Post by PH »

100%JR wrote:
PH wrote:

I can't get used to bi-focal so my riding glasses have to be the same as my day glasses!

Fair enough, I have several pairs for different functions, sat here at the computer I have a pair optimised for it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

A slightly different topic, I know, but I have been looking for cheap cycling glasses (clear lens) with a lower section lens for reading, to make viewing my Garmin easier. Today I got these through the post:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s196p34 ... ess-Reader

Ignore the dark lenses, I immediately swapped them for the clear versions and the dark ones will probably never be used. And they look okay. With a brief off-the-bike test with the Garmin they certainly improve my view. They sit slightly away from the face, which is something I look for to minimise misting. The nose piece is adjustable and the whole thing is light and they feel okay when on. Doubtless I will need the washing up liquid treatment as usual.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I've just given up on prescription sunglasses - the cost of having to replace them every couple of years, when I hardly used them, was getting a bit expensive even with Specsavers "free pair" which has now disappeared for my glasses (I wear Varilux varifocals, some specsavers will give a disccunt on a seond pair of these, it depends on what arrangements they have with their supplier).

I've taken to wearing single-vision distance glasses for cycling, I can glance down at my bar-end mirror with these without tipping my head down for the right bit of lens!

So I've just bought myself one of these https://www.fostergrant.co.uk/catalogue/foster-grant-uk-solar-shields-fits-overs/. Cheap enough to try out and, indeed, to keep a spare, and use on either pair of glasses.

If you are on single-vision of course then it does get cheaper, I would recommend the cheapest frame you can fine and just have the tint, make sure its UV400 of course
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

pwa wrote:A slightly different topic, I know, but I have been looking for cheap cycling glasses (clear lens) with a lower section lens for reading, to make viewing my Garmin easier. Today I got these through the post:

Ignore the dark lenses, I immediately swapped them for the clear versions and the dark ones will probably never be used. And they look okay. With a brief off-the-bike test with the Garmin they certainly improve my view. They sit slightly away from the face, which is something I look for to minimise misting. The nose piece is adjustable and the whole thing is light and they feel okay when on. Doubtless I will need the washing up liquid treatment as usual.

I think these would only work if both of your eyes have the same prescription.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pwa

Post by pwa »

rmurphy195 wrote:
pwa wrote:A slightly different topic, I know, but I have been looking for cheap cycling glasses (clear lens) with a lower section lens for reading, to make viewing my Garmin easier. Today I got these through the post:

I think these would only work if both of your eyes have the same prescription.

Or, as in my case, you have a dominant eye that does all the reading.My glasses are 2+, which suits my dominant eye but helps my weaker eye that would actually require 3+ for perfection.

I reckon that on the bike (drop bar) the reading lens will put my hands and everything closer in focus but everything further forward, such as the front of the wheel, will be safely in the normal part of the lens, so no tilting of the head will be needed to see what I want to see.

For less than thirty quid (inc postage) these glasses give me better vision than with the ordinary clear Tifosi glasses they replace. I can't think why I would buy plain clear glasses again.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Slightly off-topic but do others wear glass lend sunglasses cycling. I've always sought plastic lenses as I don't like the idea of a glass lens in front of my eye (cycling) in case of an accident and he lens broke ... Am I being totally paranoid?

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm not sure about the danger of glass in lenses, but I prefer polycarb because of the lower weight on the nose. Heavy glasses feel uncomfortable there.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1 for Optilabs.
Have a pair of varifocal "Drivewear" cyling glasses for many years.

The prescription is well out of date, and the frames are getting tired (like me!) so I went for an eye test at Specsavers a couple of years ago. I asked about varifocal cycle-specific wrap-round glasses and showed them my Optilabs pair. They couldn't do it.

Mrs Mick F went for an eye test at Vision Express. I was there and took my Optilabs glasses. They said that they could do them but they would be Oakely and expensive. They looked up varifocal photochromic, and they would have cost £500 or so. :shock:

I'll be sticking with my Optilabs, and when I REALLY need them renewing, I'll be paying £300odd to them.
Excellent service too.
Mick F. Cornwall