1000 bed hospital in 10 days

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

1000 bed hospital in 10 days

Post by francovendee »

The Chinese are building their second 1000 bed hospital in response to the flu outbreak.
Prefabricated off site, fully plumbed and wired. Even allowing for this it's amazing what can be done.

Perhaps Boris should forget Huawei and get his 40 hospitals built by the Chinese.
reohn2

Re: 1000 bed hospital in 10 days

Post by reohn2 »

Where there's a will there's a way or if needs must.
There's definitely a need in the UK and not just for the buildings but the staff too.

I'been saying for years that prefab off site build in warehouses would mean quicker build and cheaper,we have problems with housing,hospitals,nursing homes,etc.It seems the powers that be aren't thinking outside the box.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, The Royal Liverpool University Hospital that has yet to be completed, will we're told be finished and operational sometime in 2023? Wow, just seen a pig fly past the window!
Public Private Finance Initiatives suck, they are an accountants wet dream! A Panacea for all aspirational aims. The impossible case of both having your cake and eating it! Or even your cake and ha'penny!!
To sort the mess out I must get my optician to give my lenses a good old rose pink coating :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
A Pre-Fab Hospital is way better than no hospital. I see an excessive number of hospitals these days, so I see much. IGICB MM
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

francovendee wrote:The Chinese are building their second 1000 bed hospital in response to the flu outbreak.
Prefabricated off site, fully plumbed and wired. Even allowing for this it's amazing what can be done.

It is truly amazing what the Chinese can do and are doing. Whilst I don’t like their one party system it does allow their Government to do somethings that ours do not: the Chinese plan years ahead and when they hit a problem there is functional solution and little questioning - the job just gets done and at a pace.

Personally I don’t have any issues with old Hospitals and Pre-fab Hospitals but I do think PFI was a disaster. Mostly the buildings are of very secondary importance compared to the quality and quantity of staff within them.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, In the case of the RLUH the building isn't even third rate, more like fifth rate at best. Maybe erected by Polish Builders, but is truely Jerry Built!
The Victorian building that was closed in the 1960's is in far better shape. MM
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The Chinese are pretty good at publicity stunts when they know the world's focus is upon them.

Be careful who you envy.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

iandriver wrote:The Chinese are pretty good at publicity stunts when they know the world's focus is upon them.

Be careful who you envy.

Quite a stunt! Could it be done in the UK?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

francovendee wrote:
iandriver wrote:The Chinese are pretty good at publicity stunts when they know the world's focus is upon them.

Be careful who you envy.

Probably not. But I doubt the Chinese don't care too much for whoever may be on the land already or due planning process. I suspect this is a very temporary venture that will be abandoned quickly after the outbreak. Still impressive that they can respond so quickly, but I doubt I'd want their methods employed anywhere near where I live. Wouldn't want to be one of the builders either.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

francovendee wrote:

Be careful who you envy.

Please can we have some stunts as opposed to the, well never mind, people we have.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I'm sure the buildings could go up quickly enough - I saw some impressive hospital operating theatres put in as prefabs in the 90s.
But hospitals aren't just buildings they are people too. And there's a shortage of every type of healthcare professional at the moment (and it's going to get worse).
So we can build hospitals, but we can't staff them.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Ha Ruddy Ha, In Liverpool we have the staff, but crepe Carillion screwed everything up! Great staff, lousy political judgement that took us down the PPI route, yes that includes all of the M.P.'s. IGICB MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How's alder hey? Do they still have cockroaches and rats coming out of surgical wards these days?

Oh and the staff in the old alder hey were distinctly patchy in terms of quality. Night shift were generally a bunch of heartless nurses more concerned with skiving than giving out pain meds to kids needing it. Still, no point complaining because it was highly active with unions. You can't touch me I'm part of the union!

Which is best? Good hospital with carp staff or carp hospital with good staff?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi TM, Good job I don't employ computer technology to translate your post?
Alder Hey, you talk about a long gone building. The current hospital is a top rate facility, which is much needed.
The hospital employs top class human staff, wouldn't think of employing "Fish"! :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe you were "Codding" me?
My experience of hospitals in this area isn't just historic, I currently visit hospitals on a more frequent basis than the Health Secretary!
I always make sure that I thank my medical practitioners for the most excellent service which I have and continue to have. I'm a "Living Testimony" for the NHS. MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From what I can see capitalism in it's present is ruining the country,e've become a can't do country unless there's enough profit in it,IMHO it's what happens when you run a country like you run a business.
The country isn't a business and it's people aren't comodities to make profit out of.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:From what I can see capitalism in it's present is ruining the country,e've become a can't do country unless there's enough profit in it,IMHO it's what happens when you run a country like you run a business.
The country isn't a business and it's people aren't comodities to make profit out of.

I'm coming round to this point of view. We have to achieve a better balance - not everything is wrong with capitalism as a concept, but as-is, then I think not.