** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:
Division, bitterness, anger and in time probably violence are here to stay

Well, it certainly aint coming from people who voted leave because things are all going the way they voted, theres no reason for it whatsoever. It all seems to be coming from Arch Remainers... as evidenced right here :lol: Hyperbole...

The nutter in the tower block will be abhored by all decent people whichever way they voted.

Al

Abhorring the nutter in the tower block, and the many more like them now feeling encouraged to behave in such ways, does not absolve us all from facilitating the culture which has resulted in such.
661-Pete

Re: Happy Brexit Day.

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:
A racist ‘Brexit Day’ poster demanding that residents speak the “Queen’s English” has been posted on “every floor” of a Norwich tower block.

The poster celebrates the return of “our great country”, and goes onto explain “one rule that needs to be made clear” – speaking English within the tower.
The anonymous author adds: “If you do want to speak whatever is the mother tongue of the country you came from then we suggest you return to that place and return your flat to the council so they can let British people live here and we can return to what was once normality before you infected this once great country.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/norwich-tower-block-norfolk-brexit-racism_uk_5e3573bcc5b611ac94d541f5
Just seen that news story for myself, here. Of course I'm not asserting that all Brex**iteers, on this forum or elsewhere, are of that mindset. But the poster is obviously a direct consequence of the whole Brex**it shenanigan. And the electorate have just voted in a party that contains members supportive of those views.

Whatever next? I don't suppose the voters in Smethwick, 1964, who voted in an openly racist tory, were all, to a man or woman, prompted to do so by the slogan "If you want a ni**er for a neighbour, vote Labour". But a fair number, were.... :evil: Will we be seeing slogans like that once again? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wouldn't suggest that the remainers on these fora would countenance the racism of this post for a nano second. Neither would I make the rather absurd suggestion that arch remainers did this.

Regrettably, many at the head of the Brexit cause have made statement which have encouraged or given succour to such madness. Remember Farage's immigration poster? Johnson's water melon smiles? Refugee cockroaches? Jo Cox's murder in broad daylight on an Engkish street?
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, I think the PWE may never have been dismantled after WW2? That is the Political Warfare Executive, initially just reverse spinning the Propaganda coming from the Third Reich, but moving on to create what Trump the Chump calls "Fake News"!
The dissident group that refuses to accept that the die is cast look to be well established in that area! Sefton Delmer will be smiling in his grave.
The BBC suffered heavy pressure from the government of the day over using the term "Quisling", which was a correct naming of a man who endangered his country's future, seems to me the constant reference to "supporters of brexit" is a slur to cause civil unrest!
Move on, for the sake not only of the country, but also for personal mental health welfare, sounds like paranoia? TTFN MM
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The EU has been the big beast that has been blamed for the UK's problems, and they will all be solved this week as we are now out.

WIthoutthe EU to blame for their mismanagement and problems, the Tories and supporters of brexit will need a new scapegoat to blame.

What worries me is that for the last few years the Right Wing, Tories and the Brexit campaigns have effectively demonised immigrants for political purposes, and I can see this continuing with immigrants becoming the new "Bete Noir" and scapegoat

We have not seen the last of the racist elements of Brexit
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Morning, I think the PWE may never have been dismantled after WW2? That is the Political Warfare Executive, initially just reverse spinning the Propaganda coming from the Third Reich, but moving on to create what Trump the Chump calls "Fake News"!
The dissident group that refuses to accept that the die is cast look to be well established in that area! Sefton Delmer will be smiling in his grave.
The BBC suffered heavy pressure from the government of the day over using the term "Quisling", which was a correct naming of a man who endangered his country's future, seems to me the constant reference to "supporters of brexit" is a slur to cause civil unrest!
Move on, for the sake not only of the country, but also for personal mental health welfare, sounds like paranoia? TTFN MM

Yet according to you, all civil unrest was the fault of the EU, not internal failures and policies!

Secondly, the challenging of lies and untruths is extremely important. In the present dishonest Government, we have a corrupt and dishonest Government negotiating underhand deals with an even more corrupt and dishonest US Government. Challenging untruths such as "The EU is to blame for civil unrest", "EU immigration and the rest of the world is about 50/50" is essential.

Here is an example. IN one week CNN exposed 81 lies by Trump in one week. We need the same sort of scrutiny her of Johnson's lies

The "Leave campaign love the "insult" remainer and regularly bleat this to avoid any sensible, coherent or constructive discussion, Brex$hiteers was bandied around, but never took off in the same way

Leavers and Remainers is a reference to an old vote, and there are some 50 million to whom that name does not apply

Supporters of Brexit is perfectly descriptive, appropriate and neutral

As for "uniting" the problem is that there are still lots of concerns, questions, problems and pitfalls to come. Unfortunately, the concept of "Uniting" is toeing the line and dreaming of Unicorns grazing in an Elysian field connected by roads paved with gold, and is inappropriate.

UNiting means having a sensible conversation for the good of the country, listening to the real issues and problems, and coming to the best position possible given the terms.

The thing preventing this is the dismissal of anything that is not rabidly pro-Brexit is dismissed out of hand as "Project Fear", "remainers" etc.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

+1
To Cunobelin's 2 above posts.
Well put.

Edit and PS.
One can see this in todays's BBC headline stating from Johnson :-
"Brexit: We won't take your rules, PM to tell Brussels"

This presumably means even good rules? :shock:

It is a soundbite designed to inflame division and petty nationalism.
And will be furthered and milked by this charlatan Govt until the cow is dry.
For they have nothing else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51345776
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Been watching and listening,what I see is Brexit arrogance from leavers,the worst of which is the present PM and his government.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Did you see the sneering, dismissive, unelected Dominic C belittling a journalist yesterday? Utterly appalling.

ETA here - and it continued a little after this, too.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... orter.html
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Did you see the sneering, dismissive, unelected Dominic C belittling a journalist yesterday? Utterly appalling.

No I didn't,but thanks for the link,nothing will surprise me with this government and it's cohorts,Cummings being the least surprising of them all.
Cart blanche has been given for the present bunch to do whatever they please for the coming four or five years,what state the country and by country I mean the ordinary wo/man,will be in after that time is anyone's guess,but my bet is it won't be good,and the Tories(like most politricians)will do their utmost to put the blame anywhere but on themselves,the favourite target will be the EU for not letting them have their own way in any leave negotiations.
The people will suffer as a result and the extremists who swallow the Tory guff hook line and sinker will turn their anxt and anger toward anyone with the wrong skin colour or the wrong accent.
The Tories will throw their hands up in mock horror at what they have created,the masses will do what they always do,put their hands to their mouths in shock whilst burying their heads in their smart phones on unsocial media and slip back into slumber thanking god it's not them,and so the degredation goes........

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other irony about "civil unrest" is that it is possible.

We have seen the disdain with which the Tories treat the workforce, and there is some evidence that there will be changes.

A particular target is the Working Time Directive.

Things like paid sick leave and overtime are seen by the "employers" as unhelpful and expensive. The Tories with their big business links and Boris' cronies would like nothing more than to restrict paid holiday, lunch breaks, sick leave, extend hours without overtime payment etc. as this gives the employers "flexibility" and enables them to cut costs and become "competitive"

As workers see these most basic of rights removed, there will be unhappiness and discontent. whether that leads to "civil unrest" is something that cannot be predicted
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Did you see the sneering, dismissive, unelected Dominic C belittling a journalist yesterday? Utterly appalling.

I did, on C4 news. Cummings is a vile individual and his appointment underlines all that is mediocre/bad/corrupt about the current government.

John.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Sorry Mercalia, Sidney Silverman, M.P. for Liverpool Edge Hill put an end to that job! Too many mistakes to cover up?
Can't even play Battleships? More Captains than ships in the modern navy. But like the try at humour though :D MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Hobbs1951 wrote:

I did, on C4 news. Cummings is a vile individual and his appointment underlines all that is mediocre/bad/corrupt about the current government.

John.

well he has one merit - he thinks HS2 should be called off
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today in Halfords I bought a small GB car sticker. I have no intention of driving to Europe but the sticker is blue with yellow EU stars around it. My car number plate has a saltire with EU stars.

My little rebellion.
John