Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

Re: Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Post by ANTONISH »

There are a number of online mapping resources.
Garmin,s "Basecamp" is a bit difficult to get used to but you can plot a route with it.
I usually use it's facility of converting a route to a track. The Garmin 30 has a limited points capacity ( very knowledgeable persons can possibly get over this but I find a track adequate for my purposes ). I don't know if the 32x is better in this respect.

One drawback I found with the TOPO maps is sometimes the mapping quality is suspect - I was once working on a GPX for an audax and for some reason it wouldn't allow me to plot a right turn and instead gave a very convoluted diversion. On zooming in to the junction I found that the map had been drawn with a line across the junction. I found another instance and instead used a track recorded from a route check.

"Ride with GPS" is an excellent resource but not free.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote:I usually use it's facility of converting a route to a track. The Garmin 30 has a limited points capacity ( very knowledgeable persons can possibly get over this but I find a track adequate for my purposes ). I don't know if the 32x is better in this respect.
e.

I have always used point to point routes.

To clarify, is a track essentially a coloured line "breadcrumb" trail on the map? Ie, no instructions as such or readout of distance to next point, you just follow a coloured line?

For limits of various bits of data, here:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=S ... j6MoP8AeH8
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

With my very thin knowledge I am taking it that a "track" is indeed just a coloured line that you follow with no prompts, and is a way of getting around the limited waypoint capacity of a device. I am hoping to have about 450 miles of touring in the device, so having that as "tracks" is a compromise I can live with.
dim

Post by dim »

get a Garmin Edge 830 or 520 and a powerbank

way way better than an E Trex
pwa

Post by pwa »

dim wrote:get a Garmin Edge 830 or 520 and a powerbank

Too late. Got the e trex 32x. The AA battery thing was important to me. I don't want to be thinking about where my next charge is coming from or relying on fragile USB connections. If I can recharge my NiMH AAs at the end of a day I will, but if I have to I will resort to disposables. I'm also not a fan of touchscreen on outdoor equipment. I'm pretty sure the 32x is as much tech as I need.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

You don't say in what way they are better.

So not terribly educational for folk.

Or is this just one of those posts where folk shine a spotlight on - drumroll on - what they have?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote:With my very thin knowledge I am taking it that a "track" is indeed just a coloured line that you follow with no prompts, and is a way of getting around the limited waypoint capacity of a device. I am hoping to have about 450 miles of touring in the device, so having that as "tracks" is a compromise I can live with.

Thanks for the reply - you are ahead of me as though I have used Etrexs for a fair few years I have never used tracks.

Bizzarely to some (they do take some preparation) have until now used point to point routes.

I may start using tracks for situations where I just need something quick and dirty, particularly round town, or where I can't do any tinkering.

The limitations of the Etrex are not as tight as you might imagine.

I think the limit for routes is 250 but if you just mark turns with some shaping points that will take you a long way.

I have ridden 160 miles within that "limit".

When you hit it there is nothing to stop you creating another route.

And this in any case is a good idea I think. It keeps things simple and is more flexible.

By the by, I share your views on touchscreens, built in batteries, and external powerbanks plugged into tech usb ports on moving bikes.

The Etrexs are also very handy if you get off the bike and go wandering.

Enjoy yours.
Sweep
dim

Post by dim »

Sweep wrote:

Or is this just one of those posts where folk shine a spotlight on - drumroll on - what they have?

most folk know how to use google
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

dim wrote:
Sweep wrote:

most folk know how to use google

sorry - that's no answer.

I thought you were a person.

Can only conclude you are a (possibly google) bot.
Sweep
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

That's a very generalised statement which you've failed to qualify in any way.

Looking at the what the OP intends to use the GPS for and Etrex will be a good choice;

Half the cost of an Edge 830
A good choice for navigation
Proven reliability and stability
Runs on replacable batteries

As previously suggested it has a steep learning curve. I would recomend using it as much as possible on local rides, plotting and following tracks even when you know where you are going. That way you will be familiar with how it functions by the time you are using it on tour.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Big fan of the 20 and 30 as were most of its users I think that’s why after discontinuing it in favour of the touch screen 25 and 35 they brought out the 22 and 32.
Have done single tracks for Audaxing of 300km usually use the proximity alarm function on key junctions particularly on the night time stuff. A friend altered the code in qmapshack to allow these to be set at the time of building.
Last edited by NUKe on 3 Feb 2020, 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by mattheus »

ANTONISH wrote:"Ride with GPS" is an excellent resource but not free.

Oh yes it is !!!

(that's the 2nd thread where i've corrected that, just this week IIRC :) )
dim

Post by dim »

Sweep wrote:

the E Trex uses breadcrumb navigation, i.e. follow a line, There is no helpful routing, e.g. to the starting point of a track, nor is there any warning when deviating from the track default, you cannot be re routed if there is a road that is closed,
you cannot enter a postcode and get turn by turn directions .... loads more things that the e Trex cannot do and which are important

I own an old Garmin Edge 500 and hate it when I compare it to my Edge 1000

here's DC Rainmaker's review of the Edge 830 :

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

so my advice is that if you only want something for when you go hiking/walking/camping, the e trex is ok, but if you want to navigate on roads when you are cycling, save up and get a 'proper' satnav :wink:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The "Hunt and Fish" button on the eTrex is much underrated. IMO.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I know the op has already gone for the eTrex but as discussion has moved to Edges...

A better alternative may be the Edge Explore if you want something more dedicated to cycling & are OK with a rechargeable unit*. The Explore is a similar price to the eTrex 32X. DC Rainmaker review here.

The only real negative, apart from rechargeable battery if that bothers you*, is the lack of a barometric altimeter. It also lacks an SD card slot but offsets that with 16GB of built in storage.

On the plus side you get the very good OSM based mapping & navigation. You also get a slightly bigger screen.

(*I've been using Edges for 12 years & never had a problem with battery life. I've only encountered the "low battery warning" rarely & you've probably got an hour, maybe more, before it will actually conk out. I've only felt the need to connect it to a battery pack 2 or 3 times during some down time (cake stop or travelling part of a journey by train) & mostly they were more for peace of mind that the battery would last rather than having to.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.