I found keys lying in the road today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Brucey

I found keys lying in the road today

Post by Brucey »

I found someone's house keys lying in the road today, and I (of course) took them to the local police station, where the duty officer politely informed me that as of February last year, they no longer take any responsibility for such things. The best suggestion I got was that I should hand them in to the local council.

I last handed in keys to the police about fifteen years ago, and the duty officer then said that very few such keys were ever claimed. Even so I thought it was the best arrangement for dealing with such things.

Needless to say I put in a formal complaint about their policy change using the police system. If everyone who finds or loses keys does the same thing then I would expect them to reverse the policy change?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Re: I found keys lying in the road today

Post by alexnharvey »

I have noticed lots of keys and wallets found posts on Facebook local groups recently.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I found a bunch lying in the road a couple of years ago, as if they had fallen out of someone's hand as they fished out their car key. I passed them to the folk in the closest house, reckoning that if someone had parked outside they'd probably come back looking when they discovered the loss.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
whoof

Post by whoof »

About two years ago I found a mobile phone in the street. Took it to the local Police station about 200 metres from where I found the phone. I couldn't find a way to get in. There was a high security gate with a coded lock. I left it on the windscreen of a Police car with a message saying where I'd found it.
Thanks for the information about the Police and lost property.
If I find another one I'll take a selfie with it and then tweet Kim Kardashian.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

alexnharvey wrote:I have noticed lots of keys and wallets found posts on Facebook local groups recently.
Has FB taken over from the local police? Considering there aren't any local police now, there is no alternative to local peoples' knowledge ............. and to FB.

We lost our 12m old Border Collie for an hour yesterday. Found him of course coz I guessed where he might have run to, but we decided to keep in touch with neighbours, and if no sign of him, to get on FB.
Found him up in the woods having a wonderful time! :D

Police would have been our last thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Here in Felixstowe one of the local charity shops has taken over the responsibility for lost property seems to work once people know the system
NUKe

Post by whoof »

This is Avon and Somerset's website, it asks lots of questions and then says if you should inform the Police or not when finding something.
I only spent a minute on it but if you've found; a gun, drugs, money, a computer or phone, if it's got the persons name and address on it you should contact the police. If not and this includes finding a bike you shouldn't.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/r ... roperty/#/
Last edited by whoof on 3 Feb 2020, 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Going back to a thread of mine a few months ago .......... I found a £20 note in the gutter damp and rain-sodden and probably been lost for days.
In the old days, I could have taken it to the local cop shop.

1. There aren't any local cop shops.
2. Even if there were, would they be interested in a sodden £20 found in a gutter?
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So you went to the pub! :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.

If you were to find car keys, the likelihood is that they have a button on them.
Go around your local area pressing it and if one unlocks, drive it to the pub! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:Yes.

If you were to find car keys, the likelihood is that they have a button on them.
Go around your local area pressing it and if one unlocks, drive it to the pub! :D

Our eldest daughter & a friend of ours both used to have a the same make of car. Our daughter discovered that her key fob would unlock the friend's car as well as her own. But the friend's key would only unlock their own car.

With our daughter's current car, if you park outside the posh house near the grandchildren's school, when you remotely lock the car the electric gates of the house open! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote:With our daughter's current car, if you park outside the posh house near the grandchildren's school, when you remotely lock the car the electric gates of the house open! :D
Talking to a chap we know and discussing old televisions and technology, he was saying that when he changed channels on his telly, his nextdoor neighbour's garage door would open! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I've often wondered whether a lost and found website would work, the problem would be proving ownership, but I suppose you could post details of what you had lost and any good Samaritan who finds something and checks the website, would then be able to contact the owner. There would then only be one place to check in instances where you aren't entirely sure where something was lost. Cyclists would be able to post what they'd lost, along with a map of their route for example.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

RickH wrote:[]
Our eldest daughter & a friend of ours both used to have a the same make of car. Our daughter discovered that her key fob would unlock the friend's car as well as her own. But the friend's key would only unlock their own car.
:D

Back in the sixties both my dad and uncle John had a Hillman Minx. Uncle John could open and start my dads with his key but my dads key didn’t with uncle John's :)

Ive lost my woolly hat i bought on Harris if anyone finds it you can keep it as I’ve now a good reason to go back to the Hebs. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Sounds like it's becoming more worthwhile to pay for a key-returning service and leave an address or (different) 'phone number displayed on any 'phone you carry. That makes two items easier to return, at least.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot