Is this forum unrepresentative?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Is this forum unrepresentative?

Post by Vorpal »

100%JR wrote:
francovendee wrote:I see the moderator has closed the thread and I don't want to the same old arguments about brexit to start up again.

Locked two threads in as many days.......not sure about unrepresentative but it's definitely over-moderated :wink:
Mods are supposed to be impartial.Unfortunately they seem to be too far up their own backsides on here and if they don't like the way a thread is going they see fit to lock anything they don't like.
This is what happens when people are given power beyond their capabilities :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: If it was based solely on what I like or don't like, the Brexit thread would have been gone about page 5 or 6.

Instead, I was practically the only person willing to moderate it for 1452 pages.

I am sure that the forum is unrepresentative.

The members are, for the most part willing to discuss things in a reasonable manner, despite a variety of controversial subjects. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Vorpal wrote:The members are, for the most part willing to discuss things in a reasonable manner, despite a variety of controversial subjects. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:
I've yet to see anything controversial on these pages :roll:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vorpal wrote:
100%JR wrote:
francovendee wrote:I see the moderator has closed the thread and I don't want to the same old arguments about brexit to start up again.

Locked two threads in as many days.......not sure about unrepresentative but it's definitely over-moderated :wink:
Mods are supposed to be impartial.Unfortunately they seem to be too far up their own backsides on here and if they don't like the way a thread is going they see fit to lock anything they don't like.
This is what happens when people are given power beyond their capabilities :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: If it was based solely on what I like or don't like, the Brexit thread would have been gone about page 5 or 6.

Instead, I was practically the only person willing to moderate it for 1452 pages.

I am sure that the forum is unrepresentative.

The members are, for the most part willing to discuss things in a reasonable manner, despite a variety of controversial subjects. :mrgreen:

I, for one, appreciate the moderation.

I would suggest though, as this thread vividly demonstrates, than banning the Brexit thread merely moves the issue elsewhere, as Brexit is, and will remain, central to uk politics for a minimum of a decade to come.

I would rather see offenders given temporary, or thread specific bans than shut the thread.

I will open a new one and see what happens.

[Braces for being hoist on own petard and banned]
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

100%JR wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think that your view is unrepresentative.

I don't really care what you think.

I think that you lack a sense of humour :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote:It seemed to me that remainers here were vocal beyond their true numbers and not at all concerned with the views of anybody but themselves.

Maybe,but I feel the bigger problem was that leavers were not at all concerned with truth, accuracy or sources.

Personally I find such people tiresome and regardless of remain or leave stances the referendum produced a result and bleating about it is counter democratic. As far as I’m concerned the issue now is get on and make the referendum result work for the U.K. , and I’d have thought that regardless of the result.

Poppycock. Dissent is an essential feature of healthy democracy and the opposition almost never does the winner's work for them. If the likes of Farage and François had got on and made the previous EU referendum result work for the UK, we wouldn't be in this position.

Are folk on here out of whack with rest of the country? My suspicion is yes, folk here tend to be left of centre yet the electorate is not.

Interesting. I'd say yes but because folk here seem to be pretty authoritarian yet the electorate is not.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Of course this forum is unrepresentative, cos 661-Pete said it was Left Wing/Neutral biased :shock: . Coming from the direction of those who are accused of being Right Wing JRM/Boris fanatics that is giving me problems working out how the minority suddenly became the majority?
Maybe they think a lot of us are really Blue with lots of Pink Spots???
Probably most folk are pragmatic Liberals with a bit of a business head as well.
Though at times the posting appear to mirror themselves as cast members from "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:
Carlton green wrote: ............... folk here tend to be left of centre yet the electorate is not.
Having had many of us over the years do the Political Compass test, we all seem to be left liberals.

Have another go at it ......... if anyone hasn't done it yet.
I'm very much like Ghandi as are most of we CTC forumites ................. even though I'm very much a supporter of brexit. :wink:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I'm libertarian left according to that site. Funny mick, I'm a leftie like most of you. Next I'll be agreeing with R2. Oh shoot! I already have. :lol:

Oh dear! I've missed my chance to vote for Corbyn.

Sorry but that compass is a bit of fun but it's wrong. Although when at school I used to joke about being a communist at heart but I accept human nature is too selfish to make it work. So I'm a capitalist instead. Perhaps that site has picked up on that.

Funny but I'm pretty much exactly where Gandhi is in that graph.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it's fun, but wrong-ish.
It puts people like you and me - and loadsa us - about the Gandhi position.

Perhaps I'm a leftie, but with right-wing tendencies. The questionnaire doesn't explore that idea at all.

....... but interesting and fun nonetheless. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Another Gandhi here.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Perhaps they know something we don't. Was Gandhi actually right wing, conservative? What an amusing idea that behind the scenes he had conservative views. Unlikely but imagine if the main leftie figures in history were just being opportunistic and really supported the other side.

Corbyn voted for boris? What goes into the ballot box is not identified as yours so he just could have lent his vote too. Perhaps I voted Corbyn. Which is more likely?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

roubaixtuesday wrote:1.I, for one, appreciate the moderation.
2.I would rather see offenders given temporary, or thread specific bans than shut the thread.

1.There is moderating and moderating.Locking and deleting threads as you see fit is not moderating it's dictating.
2.Banning "offenders" for what?Writing what they think?Is this China?

We've been through this before and it always goes down the it's "insulting/offending/upsetting" route.It's an internet Forum.A place for debate.If you're easily offended/insulted/upset then you really shouldn't be here.Then there's the "it's a family Forum" excuse...the average age on here must be 60 :roll:

Political threads are always going to be a place of fierce argument.Instead of banning people why not have a specific area where the snowflakes can avoid and the rest can debate away?Works on other Forums.

There was a recent thread deleted before I even new it existed....what does that tell you?I wasn't even given the option of seeing if I was offended!!!????
(I wouldn't have been btw :wink: )

*Edit*
Just noticed this is my 1000th post.Even I'm surprised I've managed to stay here so long :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

100%JR wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:1.I, for one, appreciate the moderation.
2.I would rather see offenders given temporary, or thread specific bans than shut the thread.

1.There is moderating and moderating.Locking and deleting threads as you see fit is not moderating it's dictating.

We've been through this before and it always goes down the it's "insulting/offending/upsetting" route.It's an internet Forum.A place for debate.If you're easily offended/insulted/upset then you really shouldn't be here.Then there's the "it's a family Forum" excuse...the average age on here must be 60 :roll:

Political threads are always going to be a place of fierce argument.Instead of banning people why not have a specific area where the snowflakes can avoid and the rest can debate away?Works on other Forums.

There was a recent thread deleted before I even new it existed....what does that tell you?I wasn't even given the option of seeing if I was offended!!!????
(I wouldn't have been btw :wink: )

*Edit*
Just noticed this is my 1000th post.Even I'm surprised I've managed to stay here so long :lol:

I respectfully disagree.

The moderators have a role somewhat akin to the editor in a letters to the editor page.

Sadly, in my experience, unmoderated forums result in the loudest and most unpleasant posters driving everyone else away.

The differences with China are… well, I don’t think I need to spell them all out.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oh Dear, I seem to have put on a "easily Offended hat", what the heck, see what happens?
I'm deeply offended by "100% JR's" post. How dare you ignore the sensitivities of "Snowflakes", so hurtful, so cruel!
You can't believe how hurtful it is for us with an over abundance of caring & compassion! The whole body shakes in suffering over such insensitive use of language, we have feelings you know so to ride roughshod as you do over us is quite unacceptable, please desist.
Others may find your words hurtful as well, I can't be the only person who takes the words to heart causing irreparable damage?
It make me want to bang my head against the wall! O botheration, just did, it hurt!
But hey why am I wearing such a silly persons hat? Quite unlike my natural self. Must "Man Up", learn that life is very cruel but must kick out in anger :roll: .
Must stop now, appointment with my trauma counsellor due this morning, have to ask about "Anger Management" help? TTFN MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

100%JR wrote:1.There is moderating and moderating.Locking and deleting threads as you see fit is not moderating it's dictating.
Congrats on the 1,000th post! :D

What you may not understand, and you more than likely know nothing about, but this forum is the third reincarnation.
This one is the same as the second one, but with updated software. It's possible to do a search through the second forum but you have to use Google or suchlike. The search software on here would't do it.

The first forum was inundated with trolls and stuff, and as the forum then wasn't moderated much, it all got out of hand and the then CTC closed it down. From then on, the forum became properly moderated.

Thinking about it, it may be my memory that's slipping here, but this my be the fourth forum, but the first original one was as I described.

I first joined the CTC forum in 2005 which was on the second incarnation.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

As has already been said, the moderators do a very good job.
I've had one post moderated and disagreed with their intervention but accepted it as a difference of meaning in the use a word.

I wonder how many active posters (who also cycle :) ) never enter the dangerous world of the tea shop? I suspect the largest percentage of members.