Toolkit pliers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan

So long as you have a good reason to carry a blade you are okay. I have worked alongside a shared use path with a billhook with a blade about a foot long while laying a hedge, but clearly I had a good reason. Similarly, I have carried a folding knife when camping. The law allows that.

Obviously the blade should be appropriate for the job you claim to be using it for. Carrying a Samurai sword down the street and claiming it is for trimming the hedges may raise eyebrows. :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

iandriver wrote:Mini Leatherman for me also.

+1 - mine's a squirt which usefully has a bottle opener on it too. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

foxyrider wrote:

My Mini does, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

UpWrong wrote:I got caught out yesterday with a puncture I couldnt fix because of no pliers in my toolkit. I couldn't unscrew the cap on on my pump to convert it back to presta valve from schraeder. Any recommendations for lightweight pliers to keep in the bike toolkit? I think Chris Juden recommended a pair many years ago in the mag.

For this use case, Wolf Tooth Master Link Combo Pliers might help. They're not as general purpose as normal pliers, but they're light, packable, and generally well reviewed by owners. Plus they provide handy storage for quick links!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan

Thanks for the link,seems I was right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

My Mini does, too.

So does my DSL :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
David9694

Post by David9694 »

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-plier ... /p/0286614

I always carry miniature pliers and would recommend this to anyone who Cycles - e.g. to release a stubborn Presta valve, or reset a cable. A commonplace inexpensive item.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
rjb

Post by rjb »

pwa wrote:I think CJ may have had something favourable to say about the Irwin Vise Grip, which would certainly do the job. But my small example weighs about 150g and is 16cm long, which makes it a bit too much of a lump to carry when I consider that in the last five years I have had zero occasions to use it on a ride. Mine stays in the garage.

This version looks slightly smaller than mine but is still 10cm long and 140g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-g ... rs-4/5181k

I recall that CJ changed the thumb adjuster for an Allen screw in which he had knocked a short length of whitworth stud into the head, which enabled him to use it as camera mount. I copied this idea and will post a pic when home again tomorrow. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

reohn2 wrote:I thought any blade hadmto be 3inch or longer to be illegal to carry,or have I got that wrong :?
I carry the smallest Swiss Army penknife about with me everywhere I go.

Blade less than 3", and folding, with no lock.
Standard SAKs are OK (carry is OK on a "may want it" basis), provided you don't get it out in a dodgy situation.

Most multi-tools blades are locking, which puts you into the "need a valid reason" territory.

There was a case where an army colonel ended up with a criminal record for carrying a Victorinox Swiss Card, which includes a removable fixed blade about 1" long, on a 1" handle. Doubtless he'd made enough trouble with some policeman that they went looking for anything they could get him on.

On the Knipex pliers wrench, there's also a 125 mm version that's lighter & easier to carry (and similarly expensive). Max nut size 23 mm.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In practice you can have any size blade as long as you have a legitimate reason for it, and you are not brandishing it in an inappropriate situation. If you are walking around a town centre and not doing a job that requires a blade, you may have some explaining to do if you are found to have a large blade. But for normal camping type activities 3" is a good length anyway. It might be hard to explain why you need anything longer than that.

I have had blades of 18" or more in a public place before but I had a good reason, to do with vegetation clearance. Context matters.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I usually have my Leatherman Juice Pro on me, whether on the bike or not. No locking blade and no blade over 3". I don't think they make that model any more but my vote goes for a small Leatherman.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks for the suggestions and links. It was the Irwin vise-grip that I was thinking of as reviewed by Chris Juden but as mentioned above, his reported weight of 100g is less than the weight I can find on-line for what appears to be the same. He used it instead of a chain tool to remove broken links and as a 3rd hand when working on brake cables. So it would seem to justify its weight over and above simple pliers. I need to consider chain failure too. The Wolf Tooth pack pliers look really neat too.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Back home now so as promised here's my vice grip pliers. Bought as a set of 3 from Aldi for about £5. They do come around every so often.
I removed the knurled adjuster from the end and replaced with an Allen screw into which I had pressed a short length of whitworth stud cut from a bolt. Same diameter and thread as camera mount.

So here you are the forerunner of the selfie stick when used with the self timer. :lol:
IMG_20200206_143859.jpg
IMG_20200206_144031.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

foxyrider wrote:

Too right :D mine is the one without a blade, but small scissors, so alleviates blade worries.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....