escooters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: escooters get contolled in France

Post by mercalia »

djnotts wrote:
mercalia wrote:Image

well they are motor bikes?

Saw some of these in Portugal and I SO WANT ONE!

well those very fat but flat profile tyres I wonder how well they turn? will only go in a straight line?

wheres the battery? any one know what they are called to do a google?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Handling probably indeed poor - but so much cooler than a mobility scooter! And it's pretty much a straight line from home to shops.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Image search includes https://www.scroosertour.com/en/
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

https://www.scrooser.com/en/

Claims street legal in EU. Guess that's another reason why we are exiting.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

djnotts wrote:https://www.scrooser.com/en/

Scrooser is classified as Ebike so we can legally use all bike paths.

well not in the UK as there are no pedals?

so its called a SCROOSER
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:
djnotts wrote:https://www.scrooser.com/en/

Scrooser is classified as Ebike so we can legally use all bike paths.

well not in the UK as there are no pedals?

so its called a SCROOSER

When you think about it peddles are a bit weird.

Why the restriction?
Having peddles turns a safe 15mph vehicle into a potential 30mph+ safety nightmare.

You'd think making it illegal to *have* peddles would make far more sense... ;)
Cyril Haearn

Re: escooters get contolled in Germany

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Spiegel reports that in Muenchen many escooter riders have been caught under the influence
People think the scooters are toys, but according to the law they are motor vehicles
Sometimes a scooter carries two or even three people, all those on board are treated as 'drivers', if drunk they could all lose their licences

Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Re: escooters

Post by mercalia »

Why do some people fear change to e-scooter laws?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51375903

at the moment

Electric scooters are defined as "powered transporters", and are covered by the same laws that apply to motor vehicles.

The vehicles are available to buy online and in stores, but riders face a £300 fixed-penalty notice and six points on their driving licence for using them on the road or pavement.

about time the cops made an example of someone
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:about time the cops made an example of someone

Why?
Ignoring the alarmist article which confuses several separate points the question to ask is why is an escooter different to a bicycle? In particular say, an ebike?
Surely the same laws should apply?

Seems to me that pretty much all the points in the article apply to bicycles too.

The only exception are the scooter schemes with scooters being abandoned everywhere.
However that's an easy thing to legislate against, simply insist they be docked.
Plus imo a scheme that has dockless scooters (and ebikes) has no longevity because if nothing else such a scooter is a good source of fairly expensive batteries plus I suspect the attrition rate by other means is more than a little high...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:about time the cops made an example of someone

Why?
Ignoring the alarmist article which confuses several separate points the question to ask is why is an escooter different to a bicycle? In particular say, an ebike?
Surely the same laws should apply?

Seems to me that pretty much all the points in the article apply to bicycles too.

The only exception are the scooter schemes with scooters being abandoned everywhere.
However that's an easy thing to legislate against, simply insist they be docked.
Plus imo a scheme that has dockless scooters (and ebikes) has no longevity because if nothing else such a scooter is a good source of fairly expensive batteries plus I suspect the attrition rate by other means is more than a little high...

put them on the road, fine, not the pavement, let cars mangle them
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:put them on the road fine, not the pavment, let cars mangle them

As I said, what applies to a bicycle should apply to a scooter although I'm not sure why you think they're more likely to be mangled.
If you can't see an escooter you can't see a bicycle they're the same width...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:put them on the road fine, not the pavment, let cars mangle them

As I said, what applies to a bicycle should apply to a scooter although I'm not sure why you think they're more likely to be mangled.
If you can't see an escooter you can't see a bicycle they're the same width...

not sure if that is true. Are you basing it on the fact of the the human body, particulary the torso?

I cant see the current crop of escooters being allowed on the road as they barely have brakes. thats probably 99% of them? Then the price starts to go up to the evo things, I dont think they will sell like hot cakes to the cheapo brigade, as thats the 99% of them?
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Feb 2020, 10:47am, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:not sure if that is true. Are you basing it on the fact of the the human body?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Bicycles are predominantly visible because of the human sat on them.
Scooters still have people on them, I don't see what difference standing or sitting would make.

As cyclists we're not that concerned that our profile makes us hard to see otherwise we'd all habitually stick panniers on our bikes to make ourselves wider.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:not sure if that is true. Are you basing it on the fact of the the human body?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Bicycles are predominantly visible because of the human sat on them.
Scooters still have people on them, I don't see what difference standing or sitting would make.

As cyclists we're not that concerned that our profile makes us hard to see otherwise we'd all habitually stick panniers on our bikes to make ourselves wider.

well maybe visibility isnt just bulk but also movement of parts? the drivers on escooters remain motionless, whereas a cyclist less so - leg movements, shoulders, arms? There is more bulk to a bike any way as the pedals stick out left and right and to consider only a zero angle line of view not realistic as a car will be further out in the road, typical driver near the centre of the road, looking at the frame and wheels , plus also the body posture of a cyclist with extended arms & churning legs is more than that of some one on an escooter? Then all of this is happening in real time so what profile you see is changing?

I mentioned some where else the case of an escooter driving at speed thru a red crossing in Streatham with people starting to cross ( near where the shooting was) and what was so shocking was how little there was to see as he zoomed by, at every moment of his passage ( I was on the pavement). The people crossing didnt see him at all I think
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Feb 2020, 11:19am, edited 3 times in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:well maybe visibility isnt just bulk but also movement of parts? the drivers on escooters remain motionless, whereas a cyclist less so - leg movements, shoulders, arms? There is more bulk to a bike any way as the pedals stick out left and right and to consider only a zero angle line of view not realistic as a car will be further out in the road, typical driver near the centre of the road, looking at the frame and wheels , plus also the body posture of a cyclist with extended arms & churning legs is more than that of some one on an escooter?

The torso is the bulk of what's visible. For me personally my brain spots scooter riders earlier precisely because they're upright and nothing is moving - i.e. they're unusual.
(They're also taller)
In contrast cyclists are just background noise until the point I have to deal with them.

Can't say I'd be worried riding a scooter on the roads any more than I would with a bicycle - other than dealing with the idiots who don't think I have any right to their space obviously.