Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Views on GARMIN e Trex 32x

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:Any chance of you posting a screenshot of one of your routes Sweep?
I can only think of one way your method would work and it would mean that the purple line just goes straight from turn to turn without actually following the road or trail in between those points. Hope you can show me otherwise as I'm always losing the purple line on my tracks when I miss turns :?

Will send you one.
Yes the line doesn't follow the roads - there's no need for it to.
I resisted GPSs for years and when I did start using them this system seemed to make more sense - for before the GPS I used notes on a card and in effect they did the same thing - just told me when to turn, ignoring roads I passed which were clearly side-roads. I didn't have notes which constantly said "keep going" "keep going", go past the chippy, past the petrol station etc.
The line very often goes off the screen but it doesn't matter.
The system does need a fair bit of work though, and I've recently had to change my editing system after changes made to gpsies.com.
I don't mind doing it though as it means I can ride for well over 100 miles without having to peer at a map. In the dark as well.

Ah, must admit I'm kinda heartened (sorry) that you have reported issues with a breadcrumb trail as some have been trying to persuade me to use that system but I retain doubts about it.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote:
mattheus wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:"Ride with GPS" is an excellent resource but not free.

Oh yes it is !!!

(that's the 2nd thread where i've corrected that, just this week IIRC :) )

I stand corrected (perhaps) - actually when I first tried it one had to pay a subscription to get full use ( as I understand it) although there was a limited free use option- my club pays a subscription for members and I have to log in to use it - given that, I'm still not sure how "free" it is.

I recently checked it out again.

The free use seemed very limited.

You had to pay if you wanted it to output a file with reduced points.

And for a fair few other key features.

And if you try to export a gpx it seems to insist that it is a breadcrumb trail - which I have severe doubts about - and see Vantage's issue above.
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sweep wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:
mattheus wrote:
Oh yes it is !!!

(that's the 2nd thread where i've corrected that, just this week IIRC :) )

I stand corrected (perhaps) - actually when I first tried it one had to pay a subscription to get full use ( as I understand it) although there was a limited free use option- my club pays a subscription for members and I have to log in to use it - given that, I'm still not sure how "free" it is.

I recently checked it out again.

The free use seemed very limited.

You had to pay if you wanted it to output a file with reduced points.

And for a fair few other key features.

And if you try to export a gpx it seems to insist that it is a breadcrumb trail - which I have severe doubts about - and see Vantage's issue above.

I've not used RwGPS to create a route for a while (only to view others' routes) so things may have changed.. But it did seem to work quite well & not have too much disabled using it free in the Web version using a PC browser. I could create, edit & save routes and export them in a variety of formats (GPX, TCX or FIT).

I generally prefer Cycle.Travel but sometimes it is easier to use RwGPS if the group I want to share it with mainly use it.

The RwGPS Android app is much more restricted without paying.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cycle travel is a good routefinder but it's not an editor.
Sweep
ossie

Post by ossie »

Just as an aside.

Having used a etrex Legend HCX for many years its worth noting that you can also use AA Lithium batteries. On long tours I can get five days of navigation out of a pack of two and there are some great deals on the various sites...they just go on and on.

I presume the 32x can do likewise.
dim

Post by dim »

I've been using the RWGPS free version for several years .... I've never had a problem planning and downloading a route to my Edge 1000 .... amazing software

I'm planning several trips on my motorcycle and I will be using RWGPS to plan the routes (I may even use my Garmin Edge 1000 on my motorcycle ) :D