TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: TV licensing...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Can you imagine any other organisation or even the police, constantly badgering people by writing to them asking them for information?
Threatening to take them to court et cetera.
If it was the police who had the authority to invade your privacy if they think you are doing something criminal, They would get a slapped hand or laughed out of court, for telling you they are investigating you over and over again.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It was interesting yesterday
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bbc-tv-licence-fee-nicky-morgan-speech-boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-a9319341.html wrote:It took one question for the ground to collapse beneath Nicky Morgan's feet
Nicky Morgan’s speech on the future of the BBC took place .....

It only took one question from a journalist at the end for the ground to be yanked clean from under her, and she found herself crashing through the bar below like only Derek Trotter has ever done before.

For about half an hour, she had outlined the challenges facing the BBC, principally from streaming services like Netflix and YouTube; how young viewers weren’t interested, telling the BBC it had to “stay relevant”.

And then, at the end, up went the hand of a journalist from The Daily Telegraph, who wanted to know, given it was so important for the BBC to “stay relevant, a consistent theme in your speech”, why was the government boycotting Radio 4’s Today programme and its 7 million listeners, even in the wake of last weekend’s terror attack?

There is, of course, no acceptable answer to that question, so it should come as no surprise that the culture secretary failed to find one.

Sorry a long quote but needs to be to cover the issue.

Ian
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

I've noticed that it mainly people who claim to be liberal who are in favour of retaining criminalisation of not buying the BBC's services.

No surprise there. They are notorious for their illiberal attitudes and their intolerance of dissent from them.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

carpetcleaner wrote:I've noticed that it mainly people who claim to be liberal who are in favour of retaining criminalisation of not buying the BBC's services.

No surprise there. They are notorious for their illiberal attitudes and their intolerance of dissent from them.

Interesting comment.

I am against debt of any kind being criminal. Including Council Tax and the TVL. I am, however, concerned that the government proposal is not all it seems and just the generous product of a benign government. Given that non-payment of the TVL is most likely to increase, I fear it is all part of the Government plan to diminish the BBC as any kind of significant body unless it becomes merely the state's mouthpiece.

It's an old trick: squeeze the finances then when the organisation fails you say we must close it down/sell it off. Happened with the railways, prisons, probation, schools.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:It was interesting yesterday
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bbc-tv-licence-fee-nicky-morgan-speech-boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-a9319341.html wrote:It took one question for the ground to collapse beneath Nicky Morgan's feet
Nicky Morgan’s speech on the future of the BBC took place .....

It only took one question from a journalist at the end for the ground to be yanked clean from under her, and she found herself crashing through the bar below like only Derek Trotter has ever done before.

For about half an hour, she had outlined the challenges facing the BBC, principally from streaming services like Netflix and YouTube; how young viewers weren’t interested, telling the BBC it had to “stay relevant”.

And then, at the end, up went the hand of a journalist from The Daily Telegraph, who wanted to know, given it was so important for the BBC to “stay relevant, a consistent theme in your speech”, why was the government boycotting Radio 4’s Today programme and its 7 million listeners, even in the wake of last weekend’s terror attack?

There is, of course, no acceptable answer to that question, so it should come as no surprise that the culture secretary failed to find one.

Sorry a long quote but needs to be to cover the issue.

Ian

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/05/baroness-morgan-turncotes-brings-disingenuity-bbc-debate?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDAyMDY%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

carpetcleaner wrote:I've noticed that it mainly people who claim to be liberal who are in favour of retaining criminalisation of not buying the BBC's services.

license fee non payment is a good argument for bringing back hanging? :wink:
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Communal funding of the vast majority of the BBC's output via a compulsory tax is unnecessary and unjust. Taxes should not be levied to fund light entertainment. Why should anyone be forced to pay for celebrity dancing competitions?

We should allow the government to directly fund a much reduced BBC which would make only a small quantity of quality, distinctive, culturally important programmes which the commercial broadcasters can't and won't make because they are not attractive to advertisers.

This would bring the BBC into line with other areas of our national life. The state funds opera houses, ballet companies, theatres, sports facilities etc because they are culturally important but not financially viable. The state does not ensure the funding of amusement arcades, bingo halls, lap dancing clubs, bowling alleys, cinemas etc because they are financially viable and because they are not necessities either.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

carpetcleaner wrote:Communal funding of the vast majority of the BBC's output via a compulsory tax is unnecessary and unjust. Taxes should not be levied to fund light entertainment. Why should anyone be forced to pay for celebrity dancing competitions?

We should allow the government to directly fund a much reduced BBC which would make only a small quantity of quality, distinctive, culturally important programmes which the commercial broadcasters can't and won't make because they are not attractive to advertisers.

This would bring the BBC into line with other areas of our national life. The state funds opera houses, ballet companies, theatres, sports facilities etc because they are culturally important but not financially viable. The state does not ensure the funding of amusement arcades, bingo halls, lap dancing clubs, bowling alleys, cinemas etc because they are financially viable and because they are not necessities either.

or Gary Lineker?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's all very very simple in our eyes here.

Watching the telly was once described as "sucking on the glass nipple". Can't remember who said it, but it's true.

People watch the goggle-box out of habit. I know I/we did, and it became far more habitual when breakfast telly and 24/7 telly came out. People wake up in the morning, and put the telly on. It doesn't go off until they go to bed ........... and they probably have a box in the bedroom too.

In the old days, we had three tellies! :shock:
Livingroom, kitchen, and bedroom.
It's utterly stupidly laughable now.

Quit the habit, don't watch it, get rid of them, don't pay the TVL.
Simples.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Don't understand that you watch stuff on that Netflix though? Drinking is also a bad habit.....!!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:People watch the goggle-box out of habit. I know I/we did, and it became far more habitual when breakfast telly and 24/7 telly came out. People wake up in the morning, and put the telly on. It doesn't go off until they go to bed ........... and they probably have a box in the bedroom too.

Generalisations! :D
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Mick F wrote:People watch the goggle-box out of habit. I know I/we did, and it became far more habitual when breakfast telly and 24/7 telly came out. People wake up in the morning, and put the telly on. It doesn't go off until they go to bed ........... and they probably have a box in the bedroom too.

Brilliant! :lol:
Should have said "some people" maybe.

Watch Netflix sometimes by me, though Mrs Mick F watches it more often.
Youtube yesterday evening watching Tuba Skinny. Absolutely excellent, and only found them when surfing YouTube the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... uba+skinny

Beer is a habit, I agree.
If watching the goggle box is a habit and drinking beer whilst watching, is doubly bad. Let alone smoking too. I used to bite my nails but kicked that habit.

We've kicked the habit of the glass nipple. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, Two things I object strongly to, as a TV Licence Payer - (1) The BBC providing services usually reserved for TV users o be free to use through computers without proof that they are a Licence Holder!
(2) Allowing Catch-Up services through computers again without proof of holding a TV Licence!.
If HMG played a straight bat and chose to admit that if should be a Licence from them, instead of hiding up the skirt of "Auntie" then it might seem more reasonable that the current farce.
As a person of 71 years of age I was looking forward to becoming exempt from the ransom fee, but even if Nicky Morgan has sway I would have to wait until I reach 78 before dodging he financial bullet!
As my main viewing is of very, very of films & early TV I feel my pocket being emptied to pay for the BBC to be-spoil the airways with stuff such as Soaps, Strictly, Food Stodge, and other such rubbish!
I'll investigate getting my TV's disabled with regards to so called transmitted broadcasts, leaving me free to watch The Saint, The Falcon, The Thin Man, Flash Gordon et al. Just think if we still had to have licences for each of TV, Radio, Portable Radio and Car Radio, at least that would be fairer the current practise? IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

merseymouth wrote:Afternoon all, Two things I object strongly to, as a TV Licence Payer - (1) The BBC providing services usually reserved for TV users o be free to use through computers without proof that they are a Licence Holder!
(2) Allowing Catch-Up services through computers again without proof of holding a TV Licence!.
If HMG played a straight bat and chose to admit that if should be a Licence from them, instead of hiding up the skirt of "Auntie" then it might seem more reasonable that the current farce.
As a person of 71 years of age I was looking forward to becoming exempt from the ransom fee, but even if Nicky Morgan has sway I would have to wait until I reach 78 before dodging he financial bullet!
As my main viewing is of very, very of films & early TV I feel my pocket being emptied to pay for the BBC to be-spoil the airways with stuff such as Soaps, Strictly, Food Stodge, and other such rubbish!
I'll investigate getting my TV's disabled with regards to so called transmitted broadcasts, leaving me free to watch The Saint, The Falcon, The Thin Man, Flash Gordon et al. Just think if we still had to have licences for each of TV, Radio, Portable Radio and Car Radio, at least that would be fairer the current practise? IGICB MM

I am like you watched tv for the films. Now dont. if you have a local branch of CEX visit them and see all the cheapo dvds or even now blu rays, some times just 50p even for some old tv series. Dvds are at the moment the way LPs used to be as people dumped them, it is a buyers market. My local CEX gets so many dvds in they have to box them up and send them else where. I am lucky I suppose living in London I can use my Freedom pass for a day out and visit all the various branches
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Brilliant! :lol:
Should have said "some people" maybe.

Watch Netflix sometimes by me, though Mrs Mick F watches it more often.
Youtube yesterday evening watching Tuba Skinny. Absolutely excellent, and only found them when surfing YouTube the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... uba+skinny

Beer is a habit, I agree.
If watching the goggle box is a habit and drinking beer whilst watching, is doubly bad. Let alone smoking too. I used to bite my nails but kicked that habit.

We've kicked the habit of the glass nipple. :wink:

Have a tv which I don't watch - I do sometimes watch BBC stuff on Iplayer. I 've been watching Tuba Skinny for some time.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 6 Feb 2020, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
John