Why wear black?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BlueRider

Re: Why wear black?

Post by BlueRider »

Cunobelin wrote:
mattheus wrote:
BlueRider wrote:Well, at least we have given up on the pretence that either Hi vis or helmets are useless :D

Do you mean posting references?

Or in fact any evidence. that proved HiViz wasn't useless?

https://www.itravelyork.info/cycling/ro ... -at-night/

Note the cyclist in the background in the 1st picture.

Most noticeable because, wait for it,....

Hi.vis.
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

BlueRider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mattheus wrote:Do you mean posting references to research that shows helmets are very probably useless for preventing TBIs?

At this point, these arguments are bordering on wummery.

Hi.vis.

Or is it he LGV’s headlight highlighting him? First thing I noticed was a bike with no lights...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BlueRider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mattheus wrote:Do you mean posting references?

Hi.vis.

And the use of seeing them that far off (even though we've already seen the cyclist in the foreground eclipsing the scene behind (really quite good contrast there).

There isn't any. High vis does nothing to improve your visibility in the relevant region of space - but does put people off a healthy mode of transport.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
High vis does nothing to improve your visibility in the relevant region of space - but does put people off a healthy mode of transport.

Righto
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

The title of the subject is “why wear black?”, so to get back on to the subject...

The answer remains, because you can! It really is that simple.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Smudgerii wrote:The title of the subject is “why wear black?”, so to get back on to the subject...

Also, I find it very slimming.

Does the forum recommend I try stripes? :?
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

mattheus wrote:
Smudgerii wrote:The title of the subject is “why wear black?”, so to get back on to the subject...

They need to be vertical to carry off the optical illusion... apparently width is the key :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

By a quirk of geography I can see what phase a set of lights, that I regularly pass through, is on from our house.

The fact that I can see them, & whether they are red or green, is of absolutely no relevance as they are around 2 miles away.

The lights only start to become relevant as they come into view approximately here (& even then I'm probably at least twice as far as I need to be to have to consider what phase they are on).

Screenshot_20200207-105352.png
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

In answer to the question about the value of being more conspicuous(*) at a distance...

In town, I don't see any value. Many motorists simply drive within their immediate surroundings, as is obvious when you see them accelerate towards traffic lights and then brake at the last minute, taken completely by surprise that the light has suddenly entered their little bubble.

Out of town, I see things differently. There have been a number of times when travelling on country A-roads at night that I've seen a remarkably conspicuous cyclist in the middle distance. "Remarkably" in the sense that I've remarked to my passenger about their presence. Due to bends in the road, etc, the cyclist has been temporarily hidden at various points until I eventually caught up and passed them, but the early warning meant that I was expecting them, and taking extra care with blind corners and dazzle from oncoming traffic. Did this make any difference to the cyclist? Probably not, I'm generally a pretty careful driver anyway, and don't make a habit of careering round corners into the unknown. But my reaction to the cyclist did make me especially careful, and persuades me that being conspicuous in those conditions has value.

Having said that, the problem I have with hi-viz, and reflectives, is that you need a light to be shining at you. I worry about cars coming out of side roads, especially in poor weather, and not seeing(**) a cyclist on the road they are joining. The only reliable defence here is a good strong headlight and positive road positioning - the colour of your clothing doesn't make a lot of difference.

(*) I much prefer "conspicuous" to "visible", not least because it stops mjr from going off on one!

(**) I know that one can argue in circles about why the cyclist wasn't seen, and who's fault that is, and how it shouldn't be the case, and that some drivers will pull out even if they have seen the cyclist. However, my observation is that, as a driver, it's easy to be tempted to look in the right direction, but not to ensure that you've seen everything there is to see. That's often laziness, but also is sometimes very hard to avoid. If as a driver pulling out, I wind down my right hand window window, squint through the driving rain looking for barely lit cyclists, then do the same on the passenger side, it's already time to start over, because a new barely-lit cyclist may have entered the area of risk. Sometimes, you simply need to rely on other road users making themselves sufficiently conspicuous.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most of the stuff about helmets has been moved to the ghetto viewtopic.php?f=41&t=135350
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

BlueRider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Hi.vis.

Quite right. It kind of proves the point without even saying anything :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rfryer wrote:(*) I much prefer "conspicuous" to "visible", not least because it stops mjr from going off on one!

:DDDDD But seriously, that's a very helpful term.

(**) I know that one can argue in circles about why the cyclist wasn't seen, and who's fault that is, and how it shouldn't be the case, and that some drivers will pull out even if they have seen the cyclist. However, my observation is that, as a driver, it's easy to be tempted to look in the right direction, but not to ensure that you've seen everything there is to see. That's often laziness, but also is sometimes very hard to avoid. If as a driver pulling out, I wind down my right hand window window, squint through the driving rain looking for barely lit cyclists, then do the same on the passenger side, it's already time to start over, because a new barely-lit cyclist may have entered the area of risk. Sometimes, you simply need to rely on other road users making themselves sufficiently conspicuous.

I understand what you're saying, HOWEVER:
- Really bad visibility is quite unusual. As a rider, you would probably be even more untrusting of other road users (risk compensation maybe??)

- we've all either been victim of, or heard stories of, SMIDSYs (and near misses) in perfect conditions, or with riders that are Lit Up Like Christmas Trees. I know I was one such victim (and I survived a head injury, stitches in my forehead and everything - it was a miracle!!!!)

So i guess I'm saying that your reasonable point makes very little difference to the real numbers of the risk out there. IMHO!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BlueRider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Hi.vis.

Note the outer cars in the picture.

Hi.vis.

Is that unequivocal proof for HiViz on cars, are you going to demand its use. Should all cars be HIViz?

The other reason for this photograph is that the conditions are the same for all the vehicles. A genuine comparison, as opposed to the photoshopped dishonesty you have chosen

The difference in your picture is contrived, to try and make a point.

The reasons the cyclist is more visible
1. The exposure is different making the rider more visible
2. The contrast of the image is different makingthe rider more visible.
3. The rider now has lights making him more visible
4. There is now a light source illuminating the bike and cyclist

Look at the bike itself, it becomes more visible because of the con trick with lighting, exposure and contrast, nothing at all to do with HiViz. You nneed to compare the same conditions to make the claim that you are making. At the moment all that is really "Proven" is that Photoshop aids visibility in cyclists!!!!!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Smudgerii wrote:
mattheus wrote:

They need to be vertical to carry off the optical illusion... apparently width is the key :)

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
BlueRider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Hi.vis.

Quite right. It kind of proves the point without even saying anything :lol:

See the comments, ask yourself why the detail on the bike is more visible in picture 2.

Why are the forks, handlebars bell more visible without the benefit of HiViz?

Photoshopped images are hardly unequivocal proof of anything