Phillip Schofield announcement

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:Maybe someone - one of the redtop papers? - was going to run a headline. It wouldn't be the first time a celebrity has been outed. If that was the case, perhaps he decided to come out on his own terms.

Could be,it was the way he's made a show of it that got to me a bit

From the little I've read about it I got the impression that his immediate family & close friends already knew.

That was my understanding too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:If Schofield is gay, he's gay and should just get on with it like he claims you are meant to.

I suspect this was a well orchestrated coming out for maximum publicity and future wealth. It's every where now with acres of press coverage.

I consider the show he is on is a channel for the self indulgent; Schofield, Holmes, Morgan.

+1 one on all counts.
I have a very close friend who's GAY but doesn't go around shouting it from the roof tops.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:What do people make of him?

I think a very self centred and self indulgent man. Goodness knows what the poor wife really feels, having the information now out there. She should have left him years ago and found a real relationship?
Why should his wife have left him? And what is a 'real' relationship?

Quite!
Someone else has made claims that his wife has only stopped with him for his wealth,a meal ticket if will,which lead me to wonder what personal world some folk live in :?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:I know nothing about the man,and I can understand him trying to live a straight life before admitting to himself and his wife and family that he's GAY,I've no problem with that.
That said,what sticks in my craw is him 'announcing to the world' his sexual orientation on day time TV and making a literal show of it
Summit not right there somehow :?

I would agree. Does his sexuality really matter? It's a matter for him and those close to him - hardly relevant to TV audiences. It's nothing to do with my (or others) being interested or disinterested but I don't see it as a big deal and don't really understand why it has been so widely reported.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
merseymouth wrote:"What is a real relationship?". Well it certainly isn't to live a lie!
There have been many stars who have hid their sexual preference, I will not list any of the ones I know about, but sadly when the truth emerges it always causes pain.
I know of at least one professional person ho lived the lie, with wife & children, he also had a string of convictions for "Procuring for immoral purposes in a public place", gents toilets, his convictions ere public knowledge and they brought problems for the family.
He was a solicitor in the lawful sense so he knew full well his situation. I always felt sorry for his wife. MM

Hold on a moment! Gay does not mean immoral or criminal. I know you haven't directly stated that but you have juxtaposed those ideas. Schofield might well be a typical celebrity narcissist but we cannot infer or conclude more than that.

Right again.
There are many straight men and women who seek extra marital affairs in very lewd and gross ways,not just some GAY people.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:I know nothing about the man,and I can understand him trying to live a straight life before admitting to himself and his wife and family that he's GAY,I've no problem with that.
That said,what sticks in my craw is him 'announcing to the world' his sexual orientation on day time TV and making a literal show of it
Summit not right there somehow :?

Yes can't agree more with that spot on.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10, does it really matter

Is it actually going to affect any of us?

I only mentioned it as it seems many people are praising him :roll: for coming out on air. By all means come out but why the need to tell every one in the country? If I was the wife I would be so embarrassed at so much ( unwanted?) attention. Every one in the street or Sainsburys or Tescos etc.

By the way is he BBC?
Last edited by mercalia on 8 Feb 2020, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I've seen him on and off, tbh whilst I never thought about it I think I simply assumed he was gay.

Overall though I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand folk shouldn't need to shout about being gay, straight or somewhere in the middle.
I'd like to think that in this enlightened age it matters not a jot.

But, on the other hand having a brother that is gay I'm also aware that society does care. There is flack for being gay and consequently lots of gay people keep quiet and are miserable for years - some try to live "normal" lives. Out of them some will go to their graves and never be able to admit even to themselves that they're gay.
For some gay folk "coming out" is a huge deal and for others that can't come out seeing others coming out is also a huge deal.

That Schofield felt the need to "come out" says more about society than about him IMO.
Lets face it, ask yourself why is there even a thread about this?
Last edited by kwackers on 8 Feb 2020, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:I've seen him on and off, tbh whilst I never thought about it I think I simply assumed he was gay.

Overall though I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand folk shouldn't need to shout about being gay, straight or somewhere in the middle.
I'd like to think that in this enlightened age it matters not a jot.

But, on the other hand having a brother that is gay I'm also aware that society does care. There is flack for being gay and consequently lots of gay people keep quiet and are miserable for years - some try to live "normal" lives. Out of them some will go to their graves and never be able to admit even to themselves that they're gay.

That Schofield felt the need to "come out" says more about society than about him IMO.
Lets face it, ask yourself why is there even a thread about this?

see above
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:see above

It's answered by this line:
"For some gay folk "coming out" is a huge deal and for others that can't come out seeing others coming out is also a huge deal."

The problem is entirely societal.
If we genuinely didn't care about folk being gay then there'd be no issues.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Gordon the Gopher has accused him of grooming .... but there is a suspicion that others may have had a hand in it ..................................
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Is it an attempt to raise his profile? I'd never heard of the man until his coming out was splashed all over the news media on Friday.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oh Landsurfer, GROAN! The same was said about Harry Corbett, should we "Sweep" it under the carpet? Misplaced levity may helps some of us. MM
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I don't see him being gay is such a big deal.

What I think is more important is the publicity surrounding him coming out this way which may well help others "trapped" by society into acting "normal".
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:If Schofield is gay, he's gay and should just get on with it like he claims you are meant to.

I suspect this was a well orchestrated coming out for maximum publicity and future wealth. It's every where now with acres of press coverage.

I consider the show he is on is a channel for the self indulgent; Schofield, Holmes, Morgan.

+1 one on all counts.
I have a very close friend who's GAY but doesn't go around shouting it from the roof tops.

+2 on both counts.