New style Brompton Sturmey Shiftet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

New style Brompton Sturmey Shiftet

Post by fatboy »

Does anyone else have a very new Brompton with the under bar shifters? Do yours stick? These are really plasticy, gritty (plastic on plastic noises) and despite being supposed to toggle and return to centre mine only do for some gear shifts. For a bike costing more than a grand I think that it's a bit rubbish!

Anyone found a fix?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
JakobW

Re: New style Brompton Sturmey Shiftet

Post by JakobW »

Whilst I really like the ergonomics of the shifters, they do appear to have internals made of finest cheese. The no return seems to be a known issue; my dealer replaced my RH shifter no questions asked.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I much prefer the pre-2017 shifters; they don't jam, and the shifter position provides feedback about what great you are in. But they're not so pretty!
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

AFAIK you can just use any other SA shifter for the rear hub; the old-skool trigger ones are nigh-indestructible, aren't they? And cheap.
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

I must be lucky... my new style shifters work perfectly.
I had an H6R for approx 18months.. no problems at all... new style shifters 100%.
I then had an H6R Electric... shifters worked perfectly as well. It was returned to Brompton for a full refund as the electronics were rubbish.. motor kept cutting in and out.
I now have another H6R electric which is about six months old with no problems at all with either shifters or motor.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

fatboy wrote:Does anyone else have a very new Brompton with the under bar shifters? Do yours stick? These are really plasticy, gritty (plastic on plastic noises) and despite being supposed to toggle and return to centre mine only do for some gear shifts. For a bike costing more than a grand I think that it's a bit rubbish!

Anyone found a fix?

There is friction inside their main pivot.
You can always ask a refund from your dealer, should not quibble.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...