A diferent direction

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
peregrino

A diferent direction

Post by peregrino »

Hello,
Before of all, sorry for my enghish sometimes. I live in Portugal and I want to do this big ride this year.

Tell me, do you do this route by road or off road? I´m planning GB Divide in bikepacking and the start/end point are the same but the route is 50/50 offroad. This route has about 2000kms.

And what are your opinion about start in John O'Groats? It´s easier for me to be near the point of extration (airport of london) if anything goes wrong.

thanks in advance

Ricardo
Jamesh

Re: A diferent direction

Post by Jamesh »

Most do it on road, south to north, 10-14 days typically.

GB divide is 50/50 as you say.

Getting out of John o groats is harder than lands end but the winds are generally south to north east.

Cheers James
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Jamesh wrote:Most do it on road, south to north, 10-14 days typically.

GB divide is 50/50 as you say.

Getting out of John o groats is harder than lands end but the winds are generally south to north east.

Cheers James

Thanks James,
You give me a good tip about the wind. In june is it really strong? I´ve been in Patagónia before.
Do you think the terrain (meters of climing is worst?)

Cheers,

Ricardo
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

No the wind is variable can even be north to south sometimes. Just the majority of time it's south to north.

It's hilly in Cornwall and Devon then flatter till the north of England up to Scotland.

But there are routes which take the sting out the hills.

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The GB divide route will be tough. They won't take the a49 / a6!

Cheers James
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Jamesh wrote:The GB divide route will be tough. They won't take the a49 / a6!

Cheers James

Yes, I know. I don´t like Tarmac. I have good roads near the coast in Portugal.

Let´s ride
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

peregrino wrote:Hello,
Before of all, sorry for my enghish sometimes. I live in Portugal and I want to do this big ride this year.

<snip>

And what are your opinion about start in John O'Groats? It´s easier for me to be near the point of extration (airport of london) if anything goes wrong.
<snip>

JOGLE is an accepted way.
Less popular, but a lot of people do it.
I'm planning to do JOGLE this year because the hills near Lands End are allegedly much tougher than those near John O'Groats and I intend to build my fitness during the trip.

It should be possible to get from London to Thurso or Wick by train in one day from London, or overnight on the sleeper.

Sensible to spend the first part of the trip cycling towards London - well, across the other side of the country but easy access.

Have a look around the forum for routes.
There are fast and slow options, hilly and less hills.
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
peregrino wrote:Hello,

<snip>

<snip>

JOGLE is an accepted way.
Less popular, but a lot of people do it.
I'm planning to do JOGLE this year because the hills near Lands End are allegedly much tougher than those near John O'Groats and I intend to build my fitness during the trip.

It should be possible to get from London to Thurso or Wick by train in one day from London, or overnight on the sleeper.

Sensible to spend the first part of the trip cycling towards London - well, across the other side of the country but easy access.

Have a look around the forum for routes.
There are fast and slow options, hilly and less hills.

LittleGreyCat,

Thanks a lot. I though that the Scotlands highlands wore more tougher...

I will start in Lands End because the winds direction. Is bad in wales
Ricardo
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Cornwall and Devon has lots of short steep hills, so you go up and down all day for a lot of height gained in a short distance.
Scotland has longer hill but they're not as steep, so you may only climb a couple per day for less height gained over a longer distance.
The middle bit is reasonably flat.
But if you follow the divide route then you'll probably be going steeply up and down every day ........ :lol:

Luck ...... :D
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hello Ricardo. You can catch a train to Penzance and cycle to Lands End to start. The winds here in Cornwall are mostly South Westerly, so will be in your back. There are plenty of hills in Devon and Cornwall, especially if you avoid the main roads and enjoy the lovely scenery. Don't plan to ride too far each day until your muscles become used to it. There are plenty of places to eat and stay, particularly close to the coast, but accommodation is generally much dearer than Portugal. You should expect to pay at least £60 (70 euro) for bed and breakfast, and campsites can be £20 (23 euro) per night.
These main roads are always busy, especially from June to September and weekends, and I try to keep away from them. Cyclists have been killed on the A30, although it is the most direct route and easiest terrain. The A38, which leads to Plymouth is lethal, particularly between Bodmin and Liskeard.
Good luck and enjoy the trip. Personally, I'd rather be in Portugal!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yeah like Lagos!!
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

dodger wrote:Hello Ricardo. You can catch a train to Penzance and cycle to Lands End to start. The winds here in Cornwall are mostly South Westerly, so will be in your back. There are plenty of hills in Devon and Cornwall, especially if you avoid the main roads and enjoy the lovely scenery. Don't plan to ride too far each day until your muscles become used to it. There are plenty of places to eat and stay, particularly close to the coast, but accommodation is generally much dearer than Portugal. You should expect to pay at least £60 (70 euro) for bed and breakfast, and campsites can be £20 (23 euro) per night.
These main roads are always busy, especially from June to September and weekends, and I try to keep away from them. Cyclists have been killed on the A30, although it is the most direct route and easiest terrain. The A38, which leads to Plymouth is lethal, particularly between Bodmin and Liskeard.
Good luck and enjoy the trip. Personally, I'd rather be in Portugal!

Hello,

I prefer Portugal too. With the Pounds of Britain is even great. I will go off road and carry a tent and I will try to sleep somewhere

Thanks

Ricardo
dodger

Post by dodger »

Wild camping is easy in areas around the coast and some of the upland areas, but farmers are usually not happy to have tents on their land.