iOS13 & iPadOS13

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: iOS13 & iPadOS13

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:.....It's an Apple problem to the extent that Apple products cost way more than others.

Seems weird expecting 3rd party functionality linked to the price of a phone. My impression of the mobile market is that Apple tend not to produce the lower end phones that other manufacturers do so whilst their phones are higher priced, the lower priced offerings from other companies are to a lower performance (and you cannot link 3rd party app functionality to manufacturer performance on redundant hardware to price).

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Spare a thought for those of us who have the apparently prehistoric IOS 8 point something. It seems my iPad mini is so old at 5 years that it is fit only for plastic hell.

I can no longer get BBC radio iPlayer and it will not support the sounds app. Talk about a throw away society.

Fortunately I recently acquired an Android phone.

I will never buy Apple products again.

This is a common error across a range of older equipment from tablets and phones through TVs and set-top boxes.

Digital Rights Management changed with an upgrade that some older hardware cannot run.

It is not an Apple problem, your android will probably run these because of newer hardware rather than the performance of the operating system

It's an Apple problem to the extent that Apple products cost way more than others.

Sony suffer similar issues. I can no longer record broadcasts on my Betamax tapes!

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 11 Feb 2020, 9:37am, edited 3 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have a Sony C7 Betamax machine in the loft, in its original box with all the original leads and instruction manual.
I often think of selling it, but it's rather heavy for posting.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.o ... o-recorder
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:We have a Sony C7 Betamax machine in the loft, in its original box with all the original leads and instruction manual.

But they were expensive and can't record current broadcasts so under the assessment of some that makes it a Sony problem.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
Mick F wrote:We have a Sony C7 Betamax machine in the loft, in its original box with all the original leads and instruction manual.

But they were expensive and can't record current broadcasts so under the assessment of some that makes it a Sony problem.

Ian

Why can't it record current broadcasts? Assuming you have one of the DVT-RF set top boxes (that were common when digital was introduced) they should be able to record your content just fine.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Why can't it record current broadcasts? Assuming you have one of the DVT-RF set top boxes (that were common when digital was introduced) they should be able to record your content just fine.

I don't have such a box. But was an analogy illustrating how it is inappropriate to blame manufacturers who don't retrospectively upgrade their equipment when technology moves on (or 3rd parties no longer support older devices).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In the loft as well, we have an Eye TV unit.
This was plugged into our iMac via USB. The unit was plugged into the TV aerial and the CD that came with it has the software program for Apple. When we ditched the telly and bought the iMac, we also bought the Eye TV system.

The software on the computer would record stuff directly onto the hard drive and it would also allow UHV analogue as well as digital telly. The unit had a co-ax auxiliary connection, so we could put the VHS VCR onto the Mac as well, plus being able to record the VHS tapes onto the hard drive.

No doubt if we had any Betamax tapes with stuff of interest, we could plug the Sony C7 into it as well.

We had it installed maybe a couple of years or so and when Gunnislake went to digital and Freeview, we swapped it over to digital.

It was around that time that we stopped watching telly, so uninstalled the software, disconnected the unit, took the TV aerial off the gable end, and did away with telly altogether.

So, we still have the facility to reload the software, plug in the Eye TV unit and put a new aerial up.
The co-ax leads are still up in the loft, and all it needs is to fit the whole lot.

.................. but we won't bother at all.

PS:
The original hard drive packed in mechanically some years ago, so all the recorded stuff is now lost. Still have the knackered HD and if I felt inclined, I'd pull it apart and try and fit the optical disc into the present HD.
The iMac is now passed its best, so I don't have much to lose.
Mick F. Cornwall