Flying.. why? why not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Flying.. why? why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The UK government plans to financially help an airline that goes from London to Exeter + Newquay
British people fly far too much according to Molly Scott Cato, green MEP for sw England + Gibraltar, she has pledged not to fly at all in 2020

I think people should accept that Newquay is far from London
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Re: Flying.. why? why not?

Post by francovendee »

I hate airports, not the flying.
Getting from France to the UK with one of the budget airlines can cost as little as 20 euros return.
Taking the car the ferry costs around 200 euros out of season for the car and two passengers.
I usually fly, it's cheaper and cuts out the 5 hour drive to the port.
I'm never sure which form of transport leaves the worse carbon footprint but at least the airline isn't being directly subsidised..
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's a vital service to get to one's holiday home.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So ... Engineering meeting with CAF in Belfast;

Flying ..... Staff drive to EMA ... catch plane, £168 return, met at airport by customer, meeting, lunch, return to airport by customer, staff collection from airport. Total time 1 day.

Drive .....Drive to Dumfries in diesel vehicle (37 miles / gallon) .. night stop at Premier Inn. Next morning .. 0430hrs .. drive to Cairnrayan ... Ferry travel to Belfast ..£340 .... Meeting. Return ... to Sheffield. .. Total cost ... > £1000.

Now folks guess, which has the lowest carbon footprint / cost.

FLY ??
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

francovendee wrote:I hate airports, not the flying.
Getting from France to the UK with one of the budget airlines can cost as little as 20 euros return.
Taking the car the ferry costs around 200 euros out of season for the car and two passengers.
I'm never sure which form of transport leaves the worse carbon footprint but at least the airline isn't being directly subsidised..

Air travel is effectively subsidised by the low or zero taxes applied to aeroplane fuel. If it was taxed like motor fuel flying would once again be only for the rich and airports would become elegant, luxury establishments made to cater for them.
peetee

Post by peetee »

landsurfer wrote:So ... Engineering meeting with CAF in Belfast;

Flying ..... Staff drive to EMA ... catch plane, £168 return, met at airport by customer, meeting, lunch, return to airport by customer, staff collection from airport. Total time 1 day.

Drive .....Drive to Dumfries in diesel vehicle (37 miles / gallon) .. night stop at Premier Inn. Next morning .. 0430hrs .. drive to Cairnrayan ... Ferry travel to Belfast ..£340 .... Meeting. Return ... to Sheffield. .. Total cost ... > £1000.

FLY ??

What sort of diesel vehicle only does 37mpg? :shock:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:

FLY ??

A geet guzzling SUV with a teeny yet heavy-footed dasher in it. (Generally only one dasher). The roads are full of singleton dashers on a mission of no importance whatsoever. The skies also. But soon they will all be dead of weather. Mind, so will the rest of us.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

FLY ??

Now folks guess, how long the earth's resources can support this?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

As ever I feel the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. One foreign holiday a year perhaps. Treating planes like busses and doing 5 weekend breaks a year, probably ott.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

peetee wrote:

FLY ??

I would hazard a guess that in reality quite a few will struggle to achieve that!
My Insignia 2.0 Diesel does sub 30mpg just nipping to work etc.I doubt it would do much more than 35mpg on a run.It might Squeeze 40mpg on a run if I tickled it and drove at 60mph.
pwa

Post by pwa »

francovendee wrote:I hate airports, not the flying.

That will be flying. I was listening yesterday to comparisons of flying, train and car in relation to HS2 and flying came out as shockingly bad as a way of getting from one UK city to another. It is easily possible to be a non-car-user and still have a higher carbon footprint from travelling than a regular car user who doesn't fly. I can see why folk fly between UK cities to save on cost, but it does make me wonder why I bother trying to reduce my own carbon footprint when others care so little.

Just for a flavour of the problem of flying:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -in-a-year

Comparison figures for modes of transport are complex and influenced by seat occupancy, but planes come out poorly. Trains and buses do well, with cars somewhere in between. And best of all is not travelling, or travelling by human power.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

peetee wrote:What sort of diesel vehicle only does 37mpg? :shock:

I would hazard a guess that in reality quite a few will struggle to achieve that!
My Insignia 2.0 Diesel does sub 30mpg just nipping to work etc.I doubt it would do much more than 35mpg on a run.It might Squeeze 40mpg on a run if I tickled it and drove at 60mph.[/quote]

+1 ... I prefer to use reality milage rather than fantasy milage quoted by vehicle manufactures and those seeking to justify their "green" vehicles.
Which don't actually exist of course.
On my last driven business trip to Belfast i took all 4 children and my wife, 4 Class 3200 hydrostatic hose kits and 4 sets of pumps and motors. Annual family visit and business all in one.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote: ... I prefer to use reality milage rather than fantasy milage quoted by vehicle manufactures and those seeking to justify their "green" vehicles. ....

My 10 year old Ford C max 2.0ltr diesel has returned between 50 and 55 mpg regularly over the 5 years I've owned it,mainly motorway miles @ 70/75mph.
I'm expecting the new(to me)S max maybe slightly less but it's a bigger and heavier car.

EDIT,before the current C max I had another 1.8ltre petrol C max which returned a regular 37 to 40 mpg over the 4 years owned.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

100%JR wrote:My Insignia 2.0 Diesel does sub 30mpg just nipping to work etc.I doubt it would do much more than 35mpg on a run.It might Squeeze 40mpg on a run if I tickled it and drove at 60mph.

That's incredibly poor.

My 2013 C220 CDi Mercedes estate does 58mpg on a motorway (real figures, not paper), long term average over everything 47mpg.

It gets Tunap injector cleaner into it every year, it always kicks the mpg up by 2mpg or so. It's around £15 a bottle.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My VW Golf gets 55-65 and 75+ on long journeys. I don't speed but on motorways I don't dawdle either.
John