Why wear black?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Why wear black?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rfryer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The biggest excuse for pulling out of junctions is misinterpreting the cyclist's speed.

I thought the biggest excuse was SMIDSY, and it's that which increasing conspicuity stands some, small hope of addressing.

None at all - smidsy has nothing to do with the M and all to do with the looking. I’ve started straight at a driver who has looked straight at me and sworn not to have seen me (wearing a fairly bright red top), and I’ve failed to see a cyclist when driving (albeit I was far too tired to have been behind the wheel really).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cunobelin wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Why wear black - to reduce the chances of being picked up in peoples peripheral vision perhaps?

One would hope that in the previous kilometre you would have been picked up in their central vision.

If you are being picked up by peripheral vision it is far too late and the driver has been extremely careless in their driving

Its not just straight-ahead vision, nor drivers. had a couple of near misses by black-clad wizzers while walking along the Rea valley path the other day. Plus you do rely yourself on peripheral vision when you look around to see whats coming up behind while you're cycling, do you not?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Oldjohnw wrote:I still don't get why people don't just do what they will, mind their own business, don't tell others what to do.

Pax.

Hmm.

In the instance of this discussion, I haven't read anything really contrary to that. It's just an exchange of views.

In real life? If you are responsible for people then you have to tell others what to do.

Life isn't so simple that it exists easily without opinion and rule.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:
BlueRider wrote:If you think Hi Via is there to make you be seen more, you are misunderstanding it's purpose and value.

Common sense trumps intellectual argument

Not really.. no one has yet suggested any benefit that high vis will provide (marginal benefit on twisty a roads with inappropriately high speed limits - though that says what should be changed).

Common sense says you should wear a helmet when in bed - do you know how dangerous sleeping is, loads of people die doing it every week.

Whataboutery and negative deflection (again) to dismiss those who's opinion isn't yours.

Hi Vis clothes won't make you visable round bends. To suggest this is a failing is ludicrous, as is the suggestion hi vis is somehow responsible for road conditions.

And when was the last time you were head down, buttock up, hands gripping hard and doing 30mph in a bed?......
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

BlueRider wrote:
And when was the last time you were head down, buttock up, hands gripping hard and doing 30mph in a bed?......

Oooh matron!
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

BlueRider wrote: And when was the last time you were head down, buttock up, hands gripping hard and doing 30mph in a bed?......

Brilliant!! That's the best Freudian spelling slip I've ever seen.

Oh, and Sunday night, if you must know.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BlueRider wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:
Common sense trumps intellectual argument

Not really.. no one has yet suggested any benefit that high vis will provide (marginal benefit on twisty a roads with inappropriately high speed limits - though that says what should be changed).

Common sense says you should wear a helmet when in bed - do you know how dangerous sleeping is, loads of people die doing it every week.

Whataboutery and negative deflection (again) to dismiss those who's opinion isn't yours.

Hi Vis clothes won't make you visable round bends. To suggest this is a failing is ludicrous, as is the suggestion hi vis is somehow responsible for road conditions.

Neither does block make you invisible - contrary to your claims. And why are you head down gripping hard - you should be looking where you are going and keep a generally light grip on the bars.

When did I suggest that not seeing around corners, or road conditions were the fault of high vis?!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

rmurphy195 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Why wear black - to reduce the chances of being picked up in peoples peripheral vision perhaps?

One would hope that in the previous kilometre you would have been picked up in their central vision.

If you are being picked up by peripheral vision it is far too late and the driver has been extremely careless in their driving

Its not just straight-ahead vision, nor drivers. had a couple of near misses by black-clad wizzers while walking along the Rea valley path the other day. Plus you do rely yourself on peripheral vision when you look around to see whats coming up behind while you're cycling, do you not?

Mirrors....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BlueRider wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I still don't get why people don't just do what they will, mind their own business, don't tell others what to do.

Pax.

Hmm.

In the instance of this discussion, I haven't read anything really contrary to that. It's just an exchange of views.

In real life? If you are responsible for people then you have to tell others what to do.

Life isn't so simple that it exists easily without opinion and rule.

THis post proves the opposite:

pedals2slowly wrote:Unbelievable that there continues to be cyclists defending their right to be less visible to motorists.
I blame Sky and other pro-teams for adopting low visibility clothing.
I'll lecture all day to everybody and take the mickey out of anyone who chooses 'cool' black.
I'm seriously considering issuing hi-viz jackets to riders who rock up all in black to evening rides or telling them to take a hike.
Organisers have a responsibility for ensuring the safety of riders in their events.
Conspicuity is the key, large bright areas of colour is best, bits going up and down tell the motorist 'it's a cyclist' from the furthest distance just get decent ankle bands and use them.

"Taking the mickey", telling people to "take a hike" is the intolerant ranting that unfortunately pervades these discussions
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is well known that the best way to get people to fully come around to your point of view is by sarcasm, bullying, hectoring, belittling, mocking and diminishing them. And put down any evidence they bring to the table.

Then make sure you fault their grammar, spelling and syntax.

After that, having endeared yourself, the rest is easy.

He says, making his own point.
John
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I think it’s high time somebody answered the OP’s question, so,

Why Wear Black?

I’m in mourning for deceased cyclists.

I’m feeling goth-y.

I am Dracula.

It’s been snowing and I want to be hi-vis.

It suits my complexion.

It sheds heat better in hot weather (see Mediterranean and Arabic Old Ladies for evidence. Old Ladies are all-wise.)

It makes me go faster (in my head).

It goes with the colour of my bike (All fashionistas know black goes with everything)

I am doing my bit to sequester carbon, in the form of pigment.

It disguises grease marks and chain tattoos.

I’m a cycling undertaker.

I am an actual qualified ninja. (Those split toe boots make great cycling shoes with flat pedals).

It was discounted at Lidl/Aldi/Wiggle, etc.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote:It is well known that the best way to get people to fully come around to your point of view is by sarcasm, bullying, hectoring, belittling, mocking and diminishing them. And put down any evidence they bring to the table.

Then make sure you fault their grammar, spelling and syntax.

After that, having endeared yourself, the rest is easy.

He says, making his own point.

I think you only ticked the sarcasm box - perhaps work on the rest of the list for next time?
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

I work at the entrance of a very busy station, probably seeing about 100 cycling commuters daily. The Proviz Reflect360 comes in a wide range of colours, its reflective outer mesh makes each of them as good as each other. I would definitively be wearing one over black any day or night.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Black on Mondays, green on Fridays.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

NEvans wrote:I work at the entrance of a very busy station, probably seeing about 100 cycling commuters daily. The Proviz Reflect360 comes in a wide range of colours, its reflective outer mesh makes each of them as good as each other. I would definitively be wearing one over black any day or night.

If it makes you happy, go for it! :)