Splash!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Splash!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I thought you were joking..............23 mil :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I thought you were joking..............23 mil :?

It just goes to show where some people's values lie.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well I could say simply bananas.
I suppose the task would be to present the image to 100 people in the street and asked them how much they would pay not necessarily knowing how much it's worth et cetera et cetera.
Split the groups between those who recognise and do not recognise the image.
Then you Could say how much it's worth and see if their opinion changes whether they want to own it or not , if they could afford to buy it.

Is this art Or are people drawn to things which are worth lots of money?

We all know people who buy stuff which is simply overpriced, their retort is sometimes that is it is the best.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well I could say simply bananas.
I suppose the task would be to present the image to 100 people in the street and asked them how much they would pay not necessarily knowing how much it's worth et cetera et cetera.
Split the groups between those who recognise and do not recognise the image.
Then you Could say how much it's worth and see if their opinion changes whether they want to own it or not , if they could afford to buy it.

That's beside the point,it's only worth it to those who put value on it.
Is this art Or are people drawn to things which are worth lots of money?

It's definitely art,it's worth is what the buyer is prepared to pay for it.

We all know people who buy stuff which is simply overpriced, their retort is sometimes that is it is the best.

Whether it's the best is upto the buyer
Define 'best'?
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

hi,
Okay, so basically what it's worth is anecdotal and simply personal.

The problem lies is when that is taken over into buying and supplying for another person, Like public services, where someone refits their office for £1.5 million, and simply says we need new updated premises, like our local chief of police did.
Okay maybe that's an extreme example, but it was controversial at the time and questioned by many especially the taxpayer that's council tax.
A bit like our local mayor do you think 30 grand is worth it for one palm tree, you could've stuck up a lot of posters for that couldn't you?
PH

Post by PH »

I think the first time I had this discussion was when a pile of bricks won the Turner Prize, mid 1970s?
Yes it's bananas, absurd, whatever else you want to call it but the world is bonkers and that's nothing new.
It's been bought by an individual or corporation that already has everything they want and need, have no desire to use the money for public good and want somewhere to bank it. They may or my not like the painting, they'll like the kudos of owning it, they'll like any appreciation in value which will demonstrate how astute they are. I like David Hockney's work, most recently the iPad paintings and I'm looking forward to seeing the Westminster window next time I'm in London. I'd like him even more if he painted another 100 versions of Splash to make the investors look silly, but it won't happen. I don't like him any less because the market values his work as it does.
NATURAL ANKLING

HI,
PH wrote:I think the first time I had this discussion was when a pile of bricks won the Turner Prize, mid 1970s?
Yes it's bananas, absurd, whatever else you want to call it but the world is bonkers and that's nothing new.
It's been bought by an individual or corporation that already has everything they want and need, have no desire to use the money for public good and want somewhere to bank it. They may or my not like the painting, they'll like the kudos of owning it, they'll like any appreciation in value which will demonstrate how astute they are. I like David Hockney's work, most recently the iPad paintings and I'm looking forward to seeing the Westminster window next time I'm in London. I'd like him even more if he painted another 100 versions of Splash to make the investors look silly, but it won't happen. I don't like him any less because the market values his work as it does.

That all makes sense PH. (I cant knock anything you just said, I agree)

You like it you don't, thats the question, "What do you think" same thing really.

If some art critic came out tomorrow or other popular person say a royal and said its rubbish, it might devalue it over night.

My likes would not please everyone for sure, I have always had old fashioned likes, I find things with curves and contrasts good but bland straight right angled horrible :)
I make no reference to the splash there, its not the view its the total lake of detail...........yeh I know its meant to make you visualize something etc.
You should of seen my pottery at school.....scary :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unfortunately many paintings sell because of their perceived value and as potential investments and nothing else.

Instead of looking at paintings and asking ourselves ' how does it make me feel?' many people just ask who painted it, will it hold its value and will it appreciate? Hockney's early stuff is just an extreme example of that. For us ordinary folk the best thing to do is to deck your walls with inexpensive paintings you like, there are plenty around.

As for that pile of bricks I think the purchaser got what they deserved :lol: If you liked it, do your own!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:hi,
Okay, so basically what it's worth is anecdotal and simply personal.

It's value is what someone has paid for it,bearing mind the buying took part in an auction so others were also bidding too.

The problem lies is when that is taken over into buying and supplying for another person, Like public services, where someone refits their office for £1.5 million, and simply says we need new updated premises, like our local chief of police did.
Okay maybe that's an extreme example, but it was controversial at the time and questioned by many especially the taxpayer that's council tax.
A bit like our local mayor do you think 30 grand is worth it for one palm tree, you could've stuck up a lot of posters for that couldn't you?

That's the subject of another thread.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK R2 whats your views on the piece and do you think its worth talking about, I mean in your mind your likes is it worth say 5k if you had the spare cash, or even 500 a monkey.

OR shall we forget whats its worth and lets say I know the artist and I see it at a car boot sale for a fiver, its an original lets say, would you rescue it and hang it on your wall.

I would ignore but might pick it up to examine to see its painted that's hand done or a print, was splash hand produced?
But then put it down again and move on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:I think the first time I had this discussion was when a pile of bricks won the Turner Prize, mid 1970s?

I had a discussion with a well known watercolour artist,who insisted that if the pile of bricks artist was indeed an artist and had pared his/her work down to a pile of bricks then the art was genuine.

Quite!

It's been bought by an individual or corporation that already has everything they want and need, have no desire to use the money for public good and want somewhere to bank it. They may or my not like the painting, they'll like the kudos of owning it, they'll like any appreciation in value which will demonstrate how astute they are

I think that happens a lot.
Then there are the rich obsessives such as the Paul Getty's of this world.

I like David Hockney's work......

What I've seen I like,his Yorkshire landscapes are great.

.......I'd like him even more if he painted another 100 versions of Splash to make the investors look silly, but it won't happen

He's much too shrewd for that.

I don't like him any less because the market values his work as it does.

Nor me to just an artists work on the market value of it is crass IMO.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hockney's stuff always looks like commercial graphic art to me, as if designed for a poster or a greetings card. It's nice, but that's about it.

I saw a documentary about him a couple of years back and in it he was outdoors looking at a landscape, probably in East Yorkshire, prior to painting it, and pointing out that most people would see just shades of green but he was seeing purple and red and God knows what. And that's how he painted it. It looked nothing like any real landscape I've ever seen, so to me the only thing he "captured" was stuff in his head. Maybe we should say he was painting what he felt rather than saw in a literal sense, but it did nothing for me. It was a case of The Emperor's New Clothes, with people raving about how wonderful it is, and me muttering to myself "but it isn't actually very good".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OK R2 whats your views on the piece and do you think its worth talking about, I mean in your mind your likes is it worth say 5k if you had the spare cash, or even 500 a monkey.......

I like some abstract art,art for me is a feeling thing.
Personally I wouldn't pay £500 for a painting but that's because I have other priorities.
But if I had two or three more noughts behind what I have in my bank account then I probably would.

OR shall we forget whats its worth and lets say I know the artist and I see it at a car boot sale for a fiver, its an original lets say, would you rescue it and hang it on your wall

Of course I would if I thought it was worth a fiver to me.
I would ignore but might pick it up to examine to see its painted that's hand done or a print, was splash hand produced?.....

Splash is a one off hand painted original work of art by David Hockney.A print of Splash isn't the art work,it's a print of the art work known as Splash.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:As for that pile of bricks I think the purchaser got what they deserved :lol: If you liked it, do your own!Al

That's part of the same old argument, the art is in the creativity not the craft. It wouldn't be much harder to replicate Splash than a pile of bricks, you can get a paint by numbers Mona Lisa it doesn't make you Leonardo...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well perhaps you arent interested in being Leonardo.. how does your own pile of bricks make you feel? :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......