Remembering the Fallen.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Remembering the Fallen.

Post by reohn2 »

I despair of the glorification of war
Yes I remember the poor sods
Who went so willingly to war
I ask "what for"?

To die for some mad man's dream
To be tricked into such an end
Or to be left with nightmares
Of dead or maimed friends

What a pitiful species we are
We know better,but choose worse
War isn't glory,it's a shameful curse.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I wear a poppy on remembrance day.

I however, hate the way they have become compulsory for people in the public eye, politicians, footballers etc.

Shaming people for not wearing one is the absolute antithesis of what people fought and died for. I also know that post war, some service people objected to the whole farrago.

Who has shamed people for not wearing one .... please ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

landsurfer wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:I wear a poppy on remembrance day.

I however, hate the way they have become compulsory for people in the public eye, politicians, footballers etc.

Shaming people for not wearing one is the absolute antithesis of what people fought and died for. I also know that post war, some service people objected to the whole farrago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 16746.html

And imagine the meltdown had Corbyn not worn one
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Carlton green wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I wear a white poppy for a couple of days. I do remember the sacrifice of many and the overall folly and futility of war. I do not accept glorious dead: lying torn to shreds in a muddy field is not glorious.

I didn't know remembrance equates to glorifying the dead. I stand corrected. Thanks!

To my mind Acts of Remembrance honour the death and I think it fitting that we do remember those who lost their lives in defence of their country and fellow ‘man’. However it has always annoyed me that those not in the armed forces who also lost their lives during war-time service are not honoured too. There were many ways to serve and many ways to loose your life during that service.

That's part of one of my long posts. Can't remember which, they're too long to reread! :lol:

My grandad saw a lot as a train driver working the routes supplying London. A prime target for enemy planes if they still had armaments. They got very efficient at removing twisted engines and trucks from tracks and repairing the tracks. Usually very little left of driver and fireman if a direct hit. He lost good friends and had a few lucky escapes too.

Miners took risks keeping coal supplies going. Bevan boys got honoured recently. Women working in the fields or factories also got honoured. Quite right too. But I don't recall railwaymen getting honoured like the others giving a lot to the war effort.

Honouring the death or honouring the sacrifice of the people, are they the same?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I wear one of these:

The Trust has a scheme that assists and signposts Veterans to support if they ned it.

An active way of remebering
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Mike Sales wrote:
I think that the poem makes it absolutely clear that Owen found the quotation a lie, so you seem to have misread.
The rest of the poem, which I did not quote, is a horrible description of the realities of life and death in the trenches, which he experienced.

Really ?

Owen did choose to return to the front to be with his men after his time at Craiglockart...the poetry is in the pity.

John.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Carlton green wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I didn't know remembrance equates to glorifying the dead. I stand corrected. Thanks!

To my mind Acts of Remembrance honour the death and I think it fitting that we do remember those who lost their lives in defence of their country and fellow ‘man’. However it has always annoyed me that those not in the armed forces who also lost their lives during war-time service are not honoured too. There were many ways to serve and many ways to loose your life during that service.

That's part of one of my long posts. Can't remember which, they're too long to reread! :lol:

My grandad saw a lot as a train driver working the routes supplying London. A prime target for enemy planes if they still had armaments. They got very efficient at removing twisted engines and trucks from tracks and repairing the tracks. Usually very little left of driver and fireman if a direct hit. He lost good friends and had a few lucky escapes too.

Miners took risks keeping coal supplies going. Bevan boys got honoured recently. Women working in the fields or factories also got honoured. Quite right too. But I don't recall railwaymen getting honoured like the others giving a lot to the war effort.

Honouring the death or honouring the sacrifice of the people, are they the same?

The civilian army should be remembered, my Wife's Paternal Grandfather was an engine driver (Southern rail) during WW2 (goods trains during the preparations for D-Day) he lived in Bromley and used to cycle to Hither Green to start his shift.

My Paternal Grandfather, was refused military service on health grounds but did his bit as a sargeant fireguard in the most heavily V1'd part of the country - he was awarded the Lord Mayor's medal for his service.

Many relatives served their country in the military, several as PoWs.

John.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:Do any of you still wear a poppy ?
I do, and so does Mrs Mick F.
We have friends who have a poppy on their cars too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I will never have a go at anyone wearing a red poppy. I do get quite a lot of hassle when I wear a red poppy.

Just saying.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

@Hobbs1951 - Seems my grandad and your wife's grandad might have been on some of the same rails. My grandad worked a few routes both around the Southampton docks right into London and south coast. Mostly goods trains though. A nice target is a slow moving goods train. I think he couldn't serve in the army but I don't know why. Not health grounds because he was always quite the sportsman. Trophy cabinet groaned with them for cricket and bowls, but he did most sports at some time. Were train drivers barred from military service due to greater need as drivers? I believe other jobs couldn't leave so perhaps train success couldn't.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Oldjohnw wrote:I will never have a go at anyone wearing a red poppy. I do get quite a lot of hassle when I wear a red poppy.

Just saying.

Where does the hassle come from, John?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 16746.html

And imagine the meltdown had Corbyn not worn one

I read that article and thought that he didn't wear it for more political reasons being a proud Fenian.

Also, it was more about tribalism and prejudice I reckon. Football's nastier side coming out. If it wasn't exploiting his political views in not wearing the poppy it would probably just have been racism against his Irish nationality or other prejudice. We have our own versions of ultras I reckon.

Not IMHO a case of poppy shaming, although if it exists it could just be in the minds of those who feel left out by not wearing one, perhaps because they forgot to get one in time. I mean you're surrounded by poppy wearers and you don't want to be left out.

Sorry, if it sounds like I'm a bit negative about the poppy wearing hoohaaa. Let's find another symbol that's sold by all veteran charities so they can all cash in when people are most supportive of the armed forces.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wear a veteran's badge. Served in the RN from 1969 to 1996. Ran the local poppy appeal for a dozen years or so, though since handed it over to someone else.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge
s-l640.jpg

Also wear a cycling proficiency badge from 1965 too. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Tangled Metal wrote:@Hobbs1951 - Seems my grandad and your wife's grandad might have been on some of the same rails. My grandad worked a few routes both around the Southampton docks right into London and south coast. Mostly goods trains though. A nice target is a slow moving goods train. I think he couldn't serve in the army but I don't know why. Not health grounds because he was always quite the sportsman. Trophy cabinet groaned with them for cricket and bowls, but he did most sports at some time. Were train drivers barred from military service due to greater need as drivers? I believe other jobs couldn't leave so perhaps train success couldn't.

You may be right there TM abiut my Wife's Grandad, my Grandad played soccer and cricket yet was barred from military service on health grounds ! Train drivers may have enjoyed reserved occupation status but as you suggest trains were an easy target - especially with the amount of lines running into London - which German aircraft would have used, like they would have used rivers as navigation.

John.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
I think that the poem makes it absolutely clear that Owen found the quotation a lie, so you seem to have misread.
The rest of the poem, which I did not quote, is a horrible description of the realities of life and death in the trenches, which he experienced.

Really ?

Owen did choose to return to the front to be with his men after his time at Craiglockart...the poetry is in the pity.

John.

Yes, really. The line I quoted is quite explicit.
Owen returned to the front out of loyalty to his men and a sense of duty.
The poem shows he had no illusions about the horrors of war and was revolted by the cant about it being good to die for ones country.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?