Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Morzedec

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by Morzedec »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Morzedec wrote:For the good of all Peoples, everywhere, I am proposing to start a new political party..

To start with it will have a membership of one, me, and be known as the, 'Autocratic Despot for the benefit of Everyone' party.

Such a party may not be democratic, but democracy - in its present form - does not work very well in any case: just look at who gets elected.

Qualifications? Well, I have a Master's in mathematics, an MBA, and have run profitable businesses all my life, employing those with a will to succeed and to be rewarded for their own efforts - no backsliders, no false hopers, no waffle merchants, no timewasters, no excuses - just get it done, and let them howl (to quote Mr Jowett of Balliol). Very cost-effective.

No salary required, no expenses required: I make enough from my businesses, to keep me in new sprockets.

Similarly able despots are invited to join me.

Happy days,

Personally, and I don't really mean to decry your wry humour, I would prefer a Govt with less criminal "bribe-ability" and more straightforward honesty.

I know it's a big ask, but hey I was always a dreamer of a better world - on many levels.

!!You can't bribe me!! (but oo, wait a moment, is that a Mars bar ......................)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:Jonson and his vanity/failed/delayed projects
a) The cable car over the Thames
b) The garden bridge over the Thames
c) Crossrail
c) HS2
some he in augerated some he supported, some he just cant say no to

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/boris-johnson-doesnt-let-detail-stand-in-way-of-latest-vanity-projects

psst what about a bridge from Scotland to Ireland
psst A Dutch engineer has voiced the possibility of a dam from Norway to Scotland and SW England to France as a super duper flood barrier, turning the North Sea into an internal freshwater lake ( I hope Boris hasnt heard of this one)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/giant-dams-could-protect-millions-from-rising-north-sea

Hey is a dam why not put a road bridge on top, great little trip, bikes allowed?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/boris-johnson-doesnt-let-detail-stand-in-way-of-latest-vanity-projects
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Pwa. ^^^

Without wishing to name specific newspapers or other media that you would seem to suggest have the real power, surely you accept that scrutiny of politicians by the media is an essential part of our much lauded democracy?

But you appear to accept corruption and bribery as a given?
I on the other hand do not.
I know it's old fashioned.

I would desperately like to see an independent body responsible for overseeing the press and complaints to the same end.
A committee made up of say 20 members from ALL walks of life.
Not the toothless and totally compromised Press Complaints Committee we have now.

Under the present administration things, if I understand their intent, are likely to get much worse.
Google Mr David Ross, the PM's holiday benefactor, if you have any doubt about whose pulling the strings.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see Javid has resigned because he won't accept #10 imposing advisers. I'm no fan of Javid and he has rolled over far too many times but at least this time he has done the right thing.

It appears that Dominic Cummings, member of nowhere, is appointing the cabinet.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see Javid has resigned because he won't accept #10 imposing advisers. I'm no fan of Javid and he has rolled over far too many times but at least this time he has done the right thing.

I hear that Boris has sacked Johnson as PM on the advice of Cummings :lol:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It would appear even Rees Mogg ( Leader of the House!!!) didn't know either.
The BBC feed said:-
"While you are sensibly following all the breaking news from the reshuffle on this live page - not everyone is able to get onto the BBC news website.

One such unlucky soul is the Leader of the Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, who only discovered the resignation of the chancellor when he was at the dispatch box.

During business questions, Labour's Jeff Smith asked him: "Can we have a statement on the surprising news that the Chancellor of the Exchequer has been sacked?"

A surprised Mr Rees-Mogg was forced to reply: "The honourable gentleman is ahead of me on the news cycle."

We hope Mr Rees-Mogg will download the BBC app to keep up-to-date."

And on the same feed it says only "unquestioning loyalty" is rewarded (to unelected Cummings?).
For example J Smith, whose performance was judged pretty good in a difficult role.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see Javid has resigned because he won't accept #10 imposing advisers. I'm no fan of Javid and he has rolled over far too many times but at least this time he has done the right thing.

What if he is? The PM is free to ask anyone he likes for their views on who should be in the cabinet or not, and he is free to ignore or to follow their advice.

All PMs have employed unelected advisors. It is the norm, and anyone who thinks it is a novelty isn't too aware of how things have always worked.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^^
You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5.
Any illusion of this being a Govt with a solid base and purpose has just been popped like a balloon. :D
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 13 Feb 2020, 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Prime Minister Dominic Cummings reappoints Mr Boris Johnson as tea boy and messenger.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:Prime Minister Dominic Cummings reappoints Mr Boris Johnson as tea boy and messenger.

nah, bog room attendant
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:

What if he is? The PM is free to ask anyone he likes for their views on who should be in the cabinet or not, and he is free to ignore or to follow their advice.

All PMs have employed unelected advisors. It is the norm, and anyone who thinks it is a novelty isn't too aware of how things have always worked.

It's a novelty when the adviser makes a decison to sack the Chancellor of the Exchequer's chosen advisers and replace them with his own nominees.
If you think that is the norm then you're unaware of how things are working now.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

It's a novelty when the adviser makes a decison to sack the Chancellor of the Exchequer's chosen advisers and replace them with his own nominees.
If you think that is the norm then you're unaware of how things are working now.

thats what P J what you call it would do :wink: Now ruled by kids programmes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

carpetcleaner wrote:

I am aware of how things work: believe me, there is nothing normal about the current lot.
John
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

PDQ Mobile wrote:^^^
You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5.
Any illusion of this being a Govt with a solid base and purpose has just been popped like a balloon. :D

"Five Pounds"! What about inflation?

Happy days,
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

I am aware of how things work: believe me, there is nothing normal about the current lot.

Presidential, innit.