Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
What if he is? The PM is free to ask anyone he likes for their views on who should be in the cabinet or not, and he is free to ignore or to follow their advice.

All PMs have employed unelected advisors. It is the norm, and anyone who thinks it is a novelty isn't too aware of how things have always worked.

I am aware of how things work: believe me, there is nothing normal about the current lot.

Presidential, innit.

Presidential copy catting AFAICS.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Re today's "long knives" happenings, I'm reminded of an old footballing quote (probably apocryphal):
"It was like the ref. had a new red card and wanted to see how it worked..."
Well, it seems BoJo has likewise got hold of one of those red cards, and is equally curious to try it out.
Echoes of Macmillan (if anyone can remember that far back)...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

661-Pete wrote:Echoes of Macmillan (if anyone can remember that far back)...

The big difference is that reshuffle came more than two years after the GE and this one after a few weeks. It seems the Attorney General went for supplying the wrong kind of advice, to be replaced by one who thinks that judges trespass into politics. None of it surprises me and it's only just begun.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Echoes of Macmillan (if anyone can remember that far back)...

The big difference is that reshuffle came more than two years after the GE and this one after a few weeks. It seems the Attorney General went for supplying the wrong kind of advice, to be replaced by one who thinks that judges trespass into politics. None of it surprises me and it's only just begun.

Will be interesting to see what happens now. Will Boris end up as the most hated PM since Thatcher, since it will all be "I did it my way" and no one to blame but him self (and Cummings)

Maybe we could all chip in to pay a doctor to diagnose Boris with Cancer? :wink:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

For any crossword fans has anyone looked at anagrams of "Rishi Sunak"?

Couldn't resist popping it on here.
Lowering the tone and all that.

I have to say Javid's resignation gave me one of the more cheerful days for a while.
Birds sang and there was a definite spring in my step.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PDQ Mobile wrote:For any crossword fans has anyone looked at anagrams of "Rishi Sunak"?

I have to say Javid's resignation gave me one of the more cheerful days for a while.

then you stepped in some thing from Rishi Sunak on the ground, 'cause you werent looking where you were going
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I always look where I'm going.
Even at night. :wink:

It's the other unlit dreamers that cause the risk. :shock:

I think the anagram has slightly more subtle meaning actually.
May well be apt though.
What's in a name?
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Oldjohnw wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I see Javid has resigned because he won't accept #10 imposing advisers. I'm no fan of Javid and he has rolled over far too many times but at least this time he has done the right thing.

It appears that Dominic Cummings, member of nowhere, is appointing the cabinet.

What if he is? The PM is free to ask anyone he likes for their views on who should be in the cabinet or not, and he is free to ignore or to follow their advice.

All PMs have employed unelected advisors. It is the norm, and anyone who thinks it is a novelty isn't too aware of how things have always worked.

I am aware of how things work: believe me, there is nothing normal about the current lot.

PM takes advice from paid, unelected aide. Sounds normal enough to me. When did it not happen?

Those getting all excited about Mr Cummings are perhaps too young to remember Alistair Campbell, a man dubbed by the press as Mr Blair's real deputy prime minister.
PH

Post by PH »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

PM takes advice from paid, unelected aide. Sounds normal enough to me. When did it not happen?

Those getting all excited about Mr Cummings are perhaps too young to remember Alistair Campbell, a man dubbed by the press as Mr Blair's real deputy prime minister.

Have you an example of any PM instructing a minister to sack all their advisers? Any Government, any Party, any Ministry, any period in history, a single example will do, just the one.
Maybe you have an example of a Chancellor who hasn't lasted long enough to present a budget? Again, just one from any time will do.
If not, your insistence that this is normal is laughable.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Press secretary in the same way that Bernard Ingham was for Mrs Thatcher. Who dubbed him Blair's real deputy PM?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:For any crossword fans has anyone looked at anagrams of "Rishi Sunak"?

Well - as a 'crossword fan' myself (both as setter and solver), I couldn't resist fetching out the Scrabble letters - but this collection beats me. Best I can come up with is ASK? I RUSH IN! If you've come out with something more salacious or risqué, spit it out! (forum rules permitting!)

Talking of anagrams, I can't help but plug one of my own :oops: . This is one of the longest clues I ever dreamt up - maybe not my best, but good for a chuckle. Can anyone suss it?
Famous last words: “Gee Mum, I... yes I must be mad to join in a stag do in disguise!” (1,2,4,5,7,3,3,2,4,4)
Come to think of it - strongly suggestive of the fate of poor Mr Javid...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anybody remember that holiday costing £15k but you cannot remember who paid?
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Well - as a 'crossword fan' myself (both as setter and solver), I couldn't resist fetching out the Scrabble letters - but this collection beats me. Best I can come up with is ASK? I RUSH IN! If you've come out with something more salacious or risqué, spit it out!

Your starter for 10.
Hi risk ....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We were discusing t=his qualifications as a Chancellor:

Worked at Golfman Sachs
Managed Hedge Funds
Married to money (billionare family)
Does what Dominic Cummings says.

Cynically a perfect fit for the current party
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:We were discusing t=his qualifications as a Chancellor:

Worked at Golfman Sachs
Managed Hedge Funds
Married to money (billionare family)
Does what Dominic Cummings says.

A perfect fit for the current party

FTFY
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker