Lancaster to Burton in Lonsdale

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Snoopdougg

Lancaster to Burton in Lonsdale

Post by Snoopdougg »

As well as general cycling around Burton in Lonsdale.

Hello all,

Glasgow, Scotland here.

Road cyclist, ok fitness for my age (I think).

I am visiting some friends in march who live in Burton in Lonsdale I am planning on taking my bike so I can see some on the local scenery and experience cycling in for me, is one of the top places to cycle in the UK.

My plan is to get the train down to Lancaster and cycle to Burton in Lonsdale. I'd look to do around 70/80k. I could do more though but I don't want to push myself too hard if there are massive climbs.

The next day 3 days in Burton I'd like to do a couple of loops. Distance wise anything really from 50 to 80k I think. I could do 100+ plus but I don't want to be a burst ball in the pub later.

What's your thoughts on cycling in the area?

Paulatic

Re: Lancaster to Burton in Lonsdale

Post by Paulatic »

Wonderful area and you’ll be ideally placed for a circular of the Forest of Bowland and a circular north to Kirby Stephen or Hawes. Both a bit hilly. You could have a flat day around Morecambe Bay to Grange over Sands.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

The direct route from Lancaster to Burton is only about 15 miles on a rather unpleasant main road.

I'd suggest heading out of Lancaster past Williamson Memorial (the big dome thing on top of the hill) heading towards Quernmore and then up Jubilee Tower (it's a fair old climb biut there's nice views from the top!). Keep heading along that road SE and after some big old undulations you get to Dunsop Bridge, Newton-in-Bowland and then Slaidburn. Turn left at the little war memorial in the village (towards Bentham), a LONG drag up and then a big descent and some undulations get you into Bentham. Then it's just a couple of little lanes through to Burton-in-Lonsdale.

Only about 35 miles but it does have over 4000ft of climbing! Allow about 2.5hrs. Good cafes in Dunsop Bridge (Puddleducs, very cycling friendly) and in Slaidburn (go past the turn to Bentham towards the river and there's a cafe on your left on the village green).

There are NO facilities once you leave Lancaster until you get to Dunsop Bridge
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Oh and the second part of your question:

From B-i-L, you can do a lovely loop around the Three Peaks (Ingleton > Ribblehead > Horton-in-Ribblesdale > Helwith Bridge > Austwick > Clapham > Bentham > B-i-L) or out to Arnside/Silverdale which is gently undulating, a lovely quiet set of roads and a nice cafe at Wolf House Gallery and you can ride round there for ages, criss-crossing the lanes and riding along the coast. Nice views over the bay.
Steve

Post by Steve »

rareposter wrote:There are NO facilities once you leave Lancaster until you get to Dunsop Bridge

Slightly off-route, but I believe there are self-service honesty box brews at Christ Church, Abbeystead. Maybe not on a Sunday morning though.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Steve wrote:
rareposter wrote:There are NO facilities once you leave Lancaster until you get to Dunsop Bridge

Slightly off-route, but I believe there are self-service honesty box brews at Christ Church, Abbeystead. Maybe not on a Sunday morning though.

Top tip.

Thanks.

I'm an atheist but a great fan of church kitchens etc.
Sweep
Snoopdougg

Post by Snoopdougg »

Hey thanks for all the replies!

Rareposter - the route I planned in my Garmin is very similar to one you outlined in your post, with the expecting exception that I have took a right at slaidburn heading along the b6478 to take a left onto dugdale lane.

Is this road ok for road bikes? Or is it gravel?

Essentially I would be in dugdale lane, hole house lane, school lane, keasden road.

I guess it's just too know if these roads are ok to cycle on. They look ok from Google maps.

Thanks for all the other points as well. Absolutely cannot wait to experience this part of the country.
Snoopdougg

Post by Snoopdougg »

Or would you recommend taking the skaithe road from slaidburn instead?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Lancaster station to Burton. :-
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31931457

For touring Burton is on the doorstep of Arnside and Silverdale (AONB). Possibility of getting the train from Silverdale or Arnside station over to Grange and cycling back round Morecambe Bay. (There is the RSPB Leighton Moss at Silverdale and has a cafe.)
You could loop east over to Barbon, Gawthorpe, Sedburgh, Killington and back.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Snoopdougg wrote:Hey thanks for all the replies!

Rareposter - the route I planned in my Garmin is very similar to one you outlined in your post, with the expecting exception that I have took a right at slaidburn heading along the b6478 to take a left onto dugdale lane.

Is this road ok for road bikes? Or is it gravel?

Essentially I would be in dugdale lane, hole house lane, school lane, keasden road.

I guess it's just too know if these roads are ok to cycle on. They look ok from Google maps.

Thanks for all the other points as well. Absolutely cannot wait to experience this part of the country.

Yes, you're just extending the route a tiny bit, going over the moor a bit further along. You climb (there's a theme here...) out of Slaidburn up a steep zigzag road and along there to a crossroads. Turn left (Dugdale Lane) and it takes you past Gisburn Forest MTB trail centre, over the reservoir and it's the same sort of long drag up, long descent down.

Personally, I prefer the way I've suggested, I think the road you're on is better done Keasden -> Gisburn but that's just my personal preference.

The roads are potholed in places, often quite narrow but they're all suitable for road bikes. Note that the area around Gisburn can be quite busy at weekends with people driving to the trail centre with MTBs on the roof/back of the car. Most of them are reasonably OK towards their roadie colleagues but there's inevitably a few who misjudge the width of their car a bit on narrow lanes! It's a lovely area - just be prepared for the hills!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Brilliant location for cycling. I’m not far away. As well Bowland, you are right on the edge of the Dales. Dentdale, Malham, Wensleydale, Garsdale are all reachable. Just avoid the A65.