Garmin insert mount screws.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Garmin insert mount screws.

Postby Mick F » 3 Feb 2020, 8:45am

philvantwo wrote:Did you send it back?
No.
It's fine, though not perfect.

By having the top of the Edge 20 towards my hand, it's only 45deg out or even less, depending on how my arm is angled.
Even if it were correctly aligned, it still wouldn't be horizontal as my arm isn't aligned that way as it mean my sticking my elbow out.

I've amassed a large variety of dog-walking routes and durations, so recently, I've stopped recording them. I can predict within a few short minutes of how long I'll be out.

Total mileage of dog-walks recorded is 74miles. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 9 Feb 2020, 4:36pm

Hi,
Countersunk flat head socket hex screws, by their design have small drive sockets compared with other screws with exception of grub screws, with similar thread sizes.
Along with the countersunk locating face which has a large area which self locks too.

Meaning that they don't need fastening that tight on assembly, can prove difficult to remove in metal even plastic.
If you are sure you need thread locking agent then use the small end of allen key with fingers to assemble, and use low strength.
You could also use a slotted or cross head countersunk.
When assembling and especially removing inspect the allen key for rounded edges and regrind / use a good quality key.
Screwdrivers are the same too, inspect the end and check the fit is snug with no rocking, place the screws on the driver before assembly and see there is no rocking.
Because they are notoriously difficult to remove I would tend not to use a thread locking agent if you ca help it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 14 Feb 2020, 9:19am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Countersunk flat head socket hex screws, by their design have small drive sockets compared with other screws with exception of grub screws, with similar thread sizes.
Along with the countersunk locating face which has a large area which self locks too.

Meaning that they don't need fastening that tight on assembly, can prove difficult to remove in metal even plastic.
If you are sure you need thread locking agent then use the small end of allen key with fingers to assemble, and use low strength.
You could also use a slotted or cross head countersunk.
When assembling and especially removing inspect the allen key for rounded edges and regrind / use a good quality key.
Screwdrivers are the same too, inspect the end and check the fit is snug with no rocking, place the screws on the driver before assembly and see there is no rocking.
Because they are notoriously difficult to remove I would tend not to use a thread locking agent if you ca help it.

Thanks for the info.
I used Loctite as I read that these screws do tend to shake lose and the ones I pictured had some thread lock on them so thought why not.
The whole thing cost about £6 as I remember and I will never need to remove them.
The screws on the K-Edge pictured below look much sturdier, but they are expensive.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Feb 2020, 11:47am

Hi,
Looks like plastic adapter? (top with screws) into aluminium metal bracket?.
I don't know the mount itself, I am assuming that you twist the sat unit on and off?
If there is no locking spigot mate (square maybe?) between the parts then the small screws will be forced sideways to loosen when removing sat unit.
As with all thread locking agents, surfaces need to be clean and grease free.
The size of thread does make alot of difference, specifications on Loctites web site will give maximum thread sizes which if you go beond will prove difficult to remove.
But with small screws the oposite is true so you may well need a stronger bond of the threads.
You could test one of the screws by removing with the small end of allen key in fingers, you will soon know how good it is, reapply agent if neccesary if the screw moves.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.