Prescription Sunglasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:+1 for Optilabs.
Have a pair of varifocal "Drivewear" cyling glasses for many years.

The prescription is well out of date, and the frames are getting tired (like me!) so I went for an eye test at Specsavers a couple of years ago. I asked about varifocal cycle-specific wrap-round glasses and showed them my Optilabs pair. They couldn't do it.

Mrs Mick F went for an eye test at Vision Express. I was there and took my Optilabs glasses. They said that they could do them but they would be Oakely and expensive. They looked up varifocal photochromic, and they would have cost £500 or so. :shock:

I'll be sticking with my Optilabs, and when I REALLY need them renewing, I'll be paying £300odd to them.
Excellent service too.

My tactic when buying something expensive for cycling is to work out the likely cost per ride, which I am sure will work out to be quite low if your glasses last for years.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mick F wrote:+1 for Optilabs.
Have a pair of varifocal "Drivewear" cyling glasses for many years.

……………...
Mrs Mick F went for an eye test at Vision Express. I was there and took my Optilabs glasses. They said that they could do them but they would be Oakely and expensive. They looked up varifocal photochromic, and they would have cost £500 or so. :shock:

I'll be sticking with my Optilabs, and when I REALLY need them renewing, I'll be paying £300odd to them.
Excellent service too.

The Oakely if done properly, will be better than the Optilab glasses. Better in fairly small ways, around the design and finish of the product, much of that being in the frame. Whether its worth the substantially higher price is another matter which only individuals can answer.

I have a set of Oakley prescription glasses for skiing/cycling, they are much nicer than my more recent set (Optilab equivalent from local optician, at Optilab-like prices). But, having moved house, I've not yet found an optician locally who will do me the nicer Oakleys (etc.).

- Nigel
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

£200 better?
Mick F. Cornwall
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mick F wrote:£200 better?

That is for the individual to decide.
I've bought quite a few items over my life where there are cheaper options. The reason for the expensive one is "I like the difference".

I said where the difference will be found. Much the same as the difference between a bike with Shimano Sora vs Ultegra, the difference will be in the fine detail, finish, etc..

- Nigel
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I too use Optilabs. On my 3rd pair and I’m happy with them. I’ve enquired about Oakleys and could afford them, but I can’t justify the cost to myself. I don’t even bother with Varifocals. My last pair were single vision Photochramtics, but I’ve noticed that tinted prescription sunglasses are even cheaper so I’ll go for them next time. I used to have photochromic for night use but I hardly ride at night now.

Perhaps telling that neither of my road bikes are carbon and they are equipped with Sora and 105 respectively. Perhaps I’m just a cheapskate!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote:I too use Optilabs. On my 3rd pair and I’m happy with them. I’ve enquired about Oakleys and could afford them, but I can’t justify the cost to myself. I don’t even bother with Varifocals. My last pair were single vision Photochramtics, but I’ve noticed that tinted prescription sunglasses are even cheaper so I’ll go for them next time. I used to have photochromic for night use but I hardly ride at night now.

Perhaps telling that neither of my road bikes are carbon and they are equipped with Sora and 105 respectively. Perhaps I’m just a cheapskate!

I have a pair of Oakleys - my least favourite glasses.

I much prefer my £15 (though with changes in my eyes no longer prescription) Lomo glasses, or various things from Polaris for that or less. Or even - yes - some of my Aldi cheapies.

On a ride once I took my glasses off and a woman - yes really - I swear - came out with the cliche line - but seemed to mean it - "sweep, you're really good looking without your glasses.

They were Oakleys.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've spent good money on prescription glasses, and latterly varifocals, have had a pair of bifocals too.

My issue is that my distance vision is absolutely fine, but my close and intermediate (and all points in between) isn't good at all. Mainly an age thing! :wink:

So, therefore, when cycling, I can wear varifocal cycling glasses that will enable me to see down the road, turn round and see, use my mirror, and be able to see my Garmin and be able to use a mobile phone. They work brilliantly for that.

Whilst on the subject of spending good money, I've lost two pairs of prescription varifocals over the years, and am refusing to even bother now.
I've bought three pairs of Pound Shop ready-readers. Close work, not so close work, and a pair to see the computer screen and generally see domestically.

Mrs Mick F was getting her new glasses from Vision Express the other day, and the lady in the shop said how good my glasses were. She was a little crest-fallen when I told her they only cost a quid! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:
Mrs Mick F was getting her new glasses from Vision Express the other day, and the lady in the shop said how good my glasses were. She was a little crest-fallen when I told her they only cost a quid! :lol:

:)
My readers are from the house of wilkinsons.
Was in my local spoons a while ago using them to peer at the beer pumps and the all important tiny strength figures. This spoons has a very mixed clientele and a young woman dressed in some sort of black disco 70s stuff told me i had the same glasses as her. She had paid well north of £200 it seems.

All the best
Man at wilco
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have spent a fortune on glasses. I have varifocals in both clear glasses and Polaroid prescription sunglasses, all with thin non scratch lenses. I resent it but I have a complex prescription.

I get modestly priced frames and transplant he lenses a couple of times when he prescription changes.

I find the varifocals invaluable although for cycling and fishing I have Polaroid over glasses as I like)need the wrap around effect. These cost about £15 and dangle on a lanyard.
John
Ray

Post by Ray »

Like others, I don't wear my expensive varifocals on the bike. Apart from potential damage from impact/loss/sweat degradation, 'everyday' glasses don't have the wraparound or toughness you need while cycling.

These days I wear cheap safety specs equipped with bifocal magnification, and haven't paid more than £15, often a lot less. Cheap enough not to worry if they get damaged or lost. Screwfix have a large choice - my local store usually has them on display - or google Bifocal Safety Glasses to see a lot more. Most of them are clear lenses, but sunglasses are available.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ray wrote:Like others, I don't wear my expensive varifocals on the bike. Apart from potential damage from impact/loss/sweat degradation, 'everyday' glasses don't have the wraparound or toughness you need while cycling.

These days I wear cheap safety specs equipped with bifocal magnification, and haven't paid more than £15, often a lot less. Cheap enough not to worry if they get damaged or lost. Screwfix have a large choice - my local store usually has them on display - or google Bifocal Safety Glasses to see a lot more. Most of them are clear lenses, but sunglasses are available.

If they are not made to your prescription, how do you see?
John
Ray

Post by Ray »

Oldjohnw wrote:If they are not made to your prescription, how do you see?

Fortunately, as with many people (see upthread), my prescription is not complicated. My distance vision is OK, but I struggle to read small print or, indeed, handlebar computers and route sheets. So, although the cheap glasses are not absolutely perfect, they are a very acceptable compromise. Other people have tried my safety specs and gone on to buy their own.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ray wrote:

Fortunately, as with many people (see upthread), my prescription is not complicated. My distance vision is OK, but I struggle to read small print or, indeed, handlebar computers and route sheets. So, although the cheap glasses are not absolutely perfect, they are a very acceptable compromise. Other people have tried my safety specs and gone on to buy their own.

Brilliant - I wondered. I couldn't even recognise myself in the bathroom mirror without my glasses.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ray wrote:

That's it. Two different issues. If your only problem is seeing things that are too close to focus on, a bit of cheap magnification may be all that is needed. But if seeing things further away is the issue you will need a proper prescription lens.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

permit me to throw in a random warning for those who ain't heard it before.
Never ever wear your coated lens glasses in a sauna. That is to say for clarity (.....pun alert) if you are in a habit of using a sauna to relax, pretend we're in spain and not cold wet soggy britain, or for easing aches and pains, and if your glasses have any coatings such as anti-scratch, there is a danger you will get tiny crazing in the coating. It might not necessarily become noticeable normally, but you'll experience more glare from the bright sun, or headlights at night.

I've never had 'fancy' sports glasses, made do with ordinary frames for cycling over the years. I've only occasionally experienced the fly in the eye at speed, usually because I've gone through a swarm as an adjacent field is been harvested or similar. I am now looking at the necessity of buying varifocal safety glasses. Unfortunately my employer doesn't seem to think it's a cost he should cover, even though it now means swapping between plain and distant safeties. Has anyone successfully asked for their physical measurements for glasses from their optician to use for glasses ordered online, i.e pupil distance?