TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: TV licensing...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
But why do you have to pay BBC licence fee to watch other channels?
To me this is the criminal part of it isn't it :!:

You aren't though are you - the commercial channel's income does not go to the BBC, but it still comes from you - indirectly through advertising fees on products, and/or the retailers selling them. You pay this if you buy products made by companies that have an advwertising budget, even if you don't use the commercial channels! The only difference as far as I can see is that with the licence fees youb aren't having a great chunk of your spend creamed-off by advertising companies.

To get a scale of how much you are paying, how often did you hear the once-popular claim that own-brand products are cheaper (partly) because they are not advertised?

The BBC licence fee is to provide the BBC channels. Think of it a bit like NI contributions - you make them even if you never need medical attention!

Not strictly true. The license fee provides a licence to receive any live broadcasts. It just so happens the BBC gets the money to pay for its programmes. its all really a con act as if someone had its fingers in the till and helped its self - its been legalised. The BBC is authorised by the govt to collect this fee

I think you will find that the rules tied in to the bbc licence say ANY live broadcasting! Or recording ANY etc etc.

Tell me any commercial broadcasts income comes from my pocket?
Unless you think that when I buy a product that's advertised on a commercial station I pay for the adverts as they lump it on the retail?
If so you name a product I buy that is advertised on broadcasts?

Fact is that not all people can afford to buy stuff due to small disposable income.
I don't buy that much stuff anyway.............but hey when I buy a tin of beans part of that goes back to the manufacturer who pays for advertising....OK.

They will get rich soon enough. :lol:

So I only want to watch non bbc stuff.............I do!
But that will not get me out of the bbc fee............I am paying for what I dont watch or want :twisted:

Parties who promote bbc have even said on tv today in the commons ' lords that the bbc brings much income into the uk....................really.............I should be thankful.

Maybe the fee payer should have final say on pay and who they employ?
That would be fair.

I am seriously thinking of joining Mick on dodging the tax soon.

The rules say "watch / record live broadcast"
The bbc also say only 2% of watchers I think its all tv? or maybe all bbc stuff? is recorded to watch later?
I record 95% of what I watch, when I have the time.
I cant stream live on my tv catchup box............with out an aerial.
I can watch iplayer on my box but only If I sign in......................... and say I own a license.......which I won't...so I won't be able to sign in...........................tell me another pay to view broadcaster will let you watch before you pay?
All I have to do is remove the Ariel and not stream broadcasts on my mobile / laptop etc and I am made?
I cant remember the last time I streamed live on anything with exception to the tv in my lounge.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've just watched a BBC programme downloaded from YouTube stored on our portable hard drive.
We have a few of them downloaded over the years, and none from BBC direct.
You Tube is your friend. Download at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T37stc22OQk
Excellent feature-length Christmas movie. Dervla Kerwan is marvellous.

What about Dominick Hyde?
Watched both of these in the last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK00Dq1FC9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFFBjkKEfc
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:
You aren't though are you - the commercial channel's income does not go to the BBC, but it still comes from you - indirectly through advertising fees on products, and/or the retailers selling them. You pay this if you buy products made by companies that have an advwertising budget, even if you don't use the commercial channels! The only difference as far as I can see is that with the licence fees youb aren't having a great chunk of your spend creamed-off by advertising companies.

To get a scale of how much you are paying, how often did you hear the once-popular claim that own-brand products are cheaper (partly) because they are not advertised?

The BBC licence fee is to provide the BBC channels. Think of it a bit like NI contributions - you make them even if you never need medical attention!

Not strictly true. The license fee provides a licence to receive any live broadcasts. It just so happens the BBC gets the money to pay for its programmes. its all really a con act as if someone had its fingers in the till and helped its self - its been legalised. The BBC is authorised by the govt to collect this fee

I think you will find that the rules tied in to the bbc licence say ANY live broadcasting! Or recording ANY etc etc.

Nope - anything that is broadcast live - whether received via a broadcast or unicast medium. And including delayed streaming.

Purely on demand (Netflix/prime etc) are not affected.

Interestingly the requirement softens for portable devices (if your device runs off a battery) then you only need to have someone around who has a TV license, theirs will cover any portable applications. So a ups powering a projecter is technically “portable”.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Sorry but I just couldn't be bothered downloading stuff and watching it on a laptop to save all of 3 quid a week, it's just penny pinching.
Oh hang on, it's another pint of beer down at the pub :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Interestingly the requirement softens for portable devices (if your device runs off a battery) then you only need to have someone around who has a TV license, theirs will cover any portable applications.
Someone?
Who?
Do you have to know them or be related to them?
You can watch telly on a mobile battery-powered device quite legally anywhere I believe. You don't need to be near anyone.

philvantwo wrote:Sorry but I just couldn't be bothered downloading stuff and watching it on a laptop to save all of 3 quid a week, it's just penny pinching.
I couldn't care how cheap it is. I can afford a TVL easily.

I've already said that when I get to 75 and they offer me a free TVL, I still wouldn't bother with a telly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Interestingly the requirement softens for portable devices (if your device runs off a battery) then you only need to have someone around who has a TV license, theirs will cover any portable applications.
Someone?
Who?
You can watch telly on a mobile battery-powered device quite legally anywhere I believe. You don't need to be near anyone.

philvantwo wrote:Sorry but I just couldn't be bothered downloading stuff and watching it on a laptop to save all of 3 quid a week, it's just penny pinching.
I couldn't care how cheap it is. I can afford a TVL easily.

I've already said that when I get to 75 and they offer me a free TVL, I still wouldn't bother with a telly.

You have chosen not to watch TV which means you don't need a tvl. Others want to watch TV but don't want to pay for a tvl. I see a difference there.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF, Your "Stick it where the sun doesn't shine" shocks me to the point of embarrassment :oops: :oops: :oops: , no sitting on the fence with that stance!
As a young old man the chance of you being in a position to get a free Tax Licence for TV when you reach 75 start at vestigial and move to "You must be joking"! I'm creeping towards "Freebie Day" but even I can see that Nelson will get his eye back before I see the free piece of paper from Auntie!
I respect your free choice, but sadly the BBC have made it far worse for themselves with all of their obsessions with making the service tech heavy for the "Snowflake Generation", must keep establishing new "Viewing Platforms", which would test the analytical powers of Einstein to work out the legal status of the need for their viewing ticket.
If they had kept their provision strictly along aerial & cable direct provision you would no doubt even bother to try to hook up through the web.
The cutting off of Teletext & regular Red Button platforms hits the elderly & lesh techno savvy folk, that definitely includes me, so with the upcoming cuts I too will resent having to pay their Tax whilst some folk employ workarounds to view stuff I have to pay for.
We should put the Genie back in the bottle, revert to just BBC TV, ITV , radio with just Home & Light Service, everything else to be provided by subscription. John Reith must be spinning in his grave at a speed that would bore a new channel tunnel! MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And now, to add insult to injury, a favourite for the BBC DG job is a member of the Murdoch family.

It isn't hard to guess whose interests such an appointment would serve.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Hi MickF, Your "Stick it where the sun doesn't shine" shocks me to the point of embarrassment :oops: :oops: :oops: , no sitting on the fence with that stance!
As a young old man the chance of you being in a position to get a free Tax Licence for TV when you reach 75 start at vestigial and move to "You must be joking"! I'm creeping towards "Freebie Day" but even I can see that Nelson will get his eye back before I see the free piece of paper from Auntie!
I respect your free choice, but sadly the BBC have made it far worse for themselves with all of their obsessions with making the service tech heavy for the "Snowflake Generation", must keep establishing new "Viewing Platforms", which would test the analytical powers of Einstein to work out the legal status of the need for their viewing ticket.
If they had kept their provision strictly along aerial & cable direct provision you would no doubt even bother to try to hook up through the web.
The cutting off of Teletext & regular Red Button platforms hits the elderly & lesh techno savvy folk, that definitely includes me, so with the upcoming cuts I too will resent having to pay their Tax whilst some folk employ workarounds to view stuff I have to pay for.
We should put the Genie back in the bottle, revert to just BBC TV, ITV , radio with just Home & Light Service, everything else to be provided by subscription. John Reith must be spinning in his grave at a speed that would bore a new channel tunnel! MM

I use teletext frequently.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Let's make that a monthly cost, since 90+% of subscriptions services are actually paid monthly.
That's £12.88 pcm

At the moment the Six Nations is on, and the BBC coverage is rather better than ITV (who still haven't worked out live streaming at more than SD). Other than that it's a very expensive way to watch Dr Who.
It's not as if there are even any benefits in terms of stopping any other watching I do degenerate to US levels of advertising amongst the snippets of content.

What's worse is that they can't even be bothered to put subtitles on "live" (i.e. as broadcast) content, so I can't watch Dr Who "live" anyway.

Mick F wrote:
Someone?
Who?

The FAQ version says:
your device is not plugged in (i.e. you’re watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel, or downloading or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer, using devices powered solely by internal batteries) you will be covered by your home TV Licence.

Basically you need someone to be watching who has a TV license. Then it's covered. Although they seem to have added the phrase about the batteries being internal. That's a shame. I wonder if this covers a device you build (a big wooden box with a battery at the bottom and a projector at the top).

To watch any tv that is available via broadcast at the time you are watching it you need a license somewhere.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
There is a God after all, Boris.
It seems he wants to scrap the license downsize the institution et cetera et cetera :)
So an end to the constant Demanding letters for Mick.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There is a God after all, Boris.
It seems he wants to scrap the license downsize the institution et cetera et cetera :)
So an end to the constant Demanding letters for Mick.

It'll just be a different Agency ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Threatening letter No27 arrived yesterday.
It's a new one we've not had before. We've been given a serial number. :lol:

Odd one really.
IN01O0A3

Took me a while to decipher it. It's a letter I followed by an N, then zero and number 1 and letter O followed by a zero and then A3.
Seems daft! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Threatening letter No27 arrived yesterday.
It's a new one we've not had before. We've been given a serial number. :lol:

Odd one really.
IN01O0A3

Took me a while to decipher it. It's a letter I followed by an N, then zero and number 1 and letter O followed by a zero and then A3.
Seems daft! :lol:

It's a cipher Mick. You've reached the attention of MI5 I expect.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
They can come round for tea if they want, but they've got to get past our manic border collie wanting to lick them to death! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall