recommendation for workstand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: recommendation for workstand

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote:For conventional stands:
1 Lidl or Aldi, as above. (And most of their tools are excellent.)
2 MIne's a Revolution. Works very well and faultless after 20y. That's the brand of Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

Jonathan

I have the Edinburgh Bike CoOp revolution one.
Bought it after I managed to leave my rather expensive Minoura outside my garage one night (the end of that).

Yes the revolution is good - no need to pay more - mine about £65 in a sale I think.

It is actually just branded though so you can get it with other branding.

Someone may be along in a mo with more info.

I wouldn't be without a stand but never use it for cleaning or lubing though - can't think why you would need a stand for that.
Sweep
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Sweep wrote:I wouldn't be without a stand but never use it for cleaning or lubing though - can't think why you would need a stand for that.

I have a couple of (discontinued) Park Tool work stands and use both for maintenance, but if I’m honest the seat post clamp one is used most often whilst I clean and lube my bikes. I pop both wheels out, insert a chain keeper and clean and lube the chain. Most of my bikes have rim brakes and I use the opportunity to clean the braking surfaces and winkle out any muck from the brake blocks while I’m at it.

The Halfords-style work stand (and similar, cheaper variants) are fine for assembly and cleaning, but I wouldn’t be without my more solid Park Tool stands for more substantial ‘wrenching’ or whatever.
freiston

Post by freiston »

richardfm wrote:
Hudson1984 wrote:lol there's a website i'm compelled to look at..

I've no idea what happened with the link I posted, but I have the same stand as @Mick F

I had to search for info on that "domain" and about the first result I got was this:

viewtopic.php?t=63421#p541740

Edit: also here: viewtopic.php?t=27053#p213521

GetNastyComputerVirusHere.com have them for £82.50

edit Graham : no it's not Wiggle, but an unmentionable company that spammed these boards.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

So, ten years ago, or more someone called Graham said.

"Edit Graham : Note that you won't get a nasty computer virus if you click on the link. It would otherwise go to company Pro-Bike-Kit. They have tried to spam the forum in the past. I have rewarded them with an auto-replacement."
Richard M
Cardiff
freiston

Post by freiston »

yup.

I suspect that the Graham in question is Graham the Moderator - the very same as the author of the sticky at the top of this board. :wink:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)