Prescription Sunglasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ray

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Post by Ray »

fullupandslowingdown wrote: Has anyone successfully asked for their physical measurements for glasses from their optician to use for glasses ordered online, i.e pupil distance?

Yes, I asked, and was given the measurement without demur. In the event I never got round to ordering glasses elsewhere. I still have that measurement should I need it. I assume our eyes don't converge/diverge as we get older :wink:

And thanks for your tip about specs in the sauna. Something else I doubt I'll be using any time soon :D 8)
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I measured my own for my Optilabs glasses, but on my recent eye test, I asked them to do it.
Came out the same ........... minus 1mm.
I'm (a small) 59mm by my own measurement, and 58mm according to the young man at Specsavers using a ruler.

Put a pair of reading glasses on so you can see your eyes properly in focus close up with the bathroom mirror.
Use a small felt pen to give a spot exactly over each pupil.
Take off your glasses and measure the distance between the dots. If you can't see to do it, ask someone else to.
Repeat the test a couple or three times (cleaning the lenses first) to get a consistency of measurement.

Easy peasy. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I don't think anyone's mentioned Asda Opticians yet? - That's correct, in the supermarket (or at least some of them). I have a high prescription, high index lenses, varifocal. Just saw on the off-chance that if you buy their frames they do ANY lenses, be they varifocal, big prescription (mine are -7.5) photocromatic and high index (they reserve the right to choose on high index depending on prescription). Mine cost £38 (I'd previously been paying over £300 at a lab, quoted over £500 at high street outlets). The frames aren't the best (but not the worst either) and I could have paid for more expensive but couldn't find ones that suited style or needs - don't think they'll do sports wrap around glasses though.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Nigel wrote:The Oakely if done properly, will be better than the Optilab glasses. Better in fairly small ways, around the design and finish of the product, much of that being in the frame. Whether its worth the substantially higher price is another matter which only individuals can answer.
I have a set of Oakley prescription glasses for skiing/cycling, they are much nicer than my more recent set (Optilab equivalent from local optician, at Optilab-like prices). But, having moved house, I've not yet found an optician locally who will do me the nicer Oakleys (etc.).
- Nigel

Not so.In fact the opposite!
You state Optilabs equivalent which aren't actually Optilabs.
My Optilabs are totally bombproof,they've survived many MTB crashes when friends Oakleys have not.The frames are far superior to Oakleys.
Optilabs frames are made by Loubsol,France and are excellent.Oakleys are obviously very good but not worth the extra unless you want to pay for the name.
I'm not an Oakley hater,I wear Oakleys for my everyday glasses.I wanted Oakley sunglasses but Oakley don't do my prescription.Strange how Oakley will allow Vision Express to fit their lenses in standard glasses but insist on Oakley only lenses in their Sunglasses :|
Anyway Oakley did me a favour as the Optilabs(Loubsol) are (IMO) better anyway 8)

As with everything materialistic it isn't always so that more expensive=better :wink: We can be made to believe that stuff is purely by marketing BS and things being associated with certain "cool" lifestyle types.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

100%JR wrote:
Nigel wrote:The Oakely if done properly, will be better than the Optilab glasses. Better in fairly small ways, around the design and finish of the product, much of that being in the frame. Whether its worth the substantially higher price is another matter which only individuals can answer.
I have a set of Oakley prescription glasses for skiing/cycling, they are much nicer than my more recent set (Optilab equivalent from local optician, at Optilab-like prices). But, having moved house, I've not yet found an optician locally who will do me the nicer Oakleys (etc.).
- Nigel

Not so.In fact the opposite!
You state Optilabs equivalent which aren't actually Optilabs.
My Optilabs are totally bombproof,they've survived many MTB crashes when friends Oakleys have not.The frames are far superior to Oakleys.
Optilabs frames are made by Loubsol,France and are excellent.Oakleys are obviously very good but not worth the extra unless you want to pay for the name.
……..

I'll describe my experience.
Some time ago, I had some Optilab frames on evaluation. I sent them back, not good enough in detailed finish - personal judgement, but that's my judgement. So I got the expensive Oakley instead.
More recently, I decided to get a set of yellow glasses. I've looked again at Optilab, same detailed finish issues - not just the evaluation frames, but what I see in friend's glasses. The local optician's "Optilab equivalents" has a similar level of finish: its OK, but not as good as my Oakley set. But much cheaper, and available locally (I've moved house, so my old "local optician" is now 350 miles away, so using them isn't practical).

My experience is that what an optician is able to offer depends on the glazing houses they use, and a lot can't offer a wide range of prescription wrap around glasses. A few can. I've no experience of Vision Express having never used them.

Crash worthiness is a different thing, mine have survived a fair few ski tumbles/falls without any issues. I don't crash bikes.

You're happy with what you have, which is great.

- Nigel
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Boots Opticians will supply prescription Oakleys but they are over £500, depending on your prescription and requirements - plain vision, bifocal or varifocal. I understand that it is Oakley themselves who actually make the prescription lenses, which may account for the cost and for the consistently reliable quality.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. It’s just that £500 is a step too far for me, when Optilabs can do acceptable quality prescription sunglasses for £125.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

TrevA wrote:You pays your money and you makes your choice. It’s just that £500 is a step too far for me, when Optilabs can do acceptable quality prescription sunglasses for £125.

Oakleys Sunglasses are expensive for one reason only....they're "in" with the whole Surf "culture". :wink:
They are good but not that good.
Are my £600 Oakley day glasses better than a £120 buy one get a free pair offered at many Opticians?No of course not.So why do I buy them?
The frames alone are £250.Are they better than say Guess/Police/Rayban/insert any designer brand here?
1.I like the fit.
2.I like glasses with straight arms.
3.They're Oakley.

I've seen several friends who swear by Oakley Flak-Jackets still swear by them once they've snapped in a spill :lol: A good old MTB mate of mine is on his 5th pair in as many years :| His aren't prescription lenses just off the shelf "sunnies"....he's just a badge biatch :lol:

It's so easy to be taken in by marketing/culture and perceived coolness.Probably same reason I only buy Adidas Samba trainers.......80% brand and 20% habit :lol:
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I usually use my ordinary varifocals (Ray Ban) but it's not ideal.
I have been looking at these but can't make up my mind https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCKBROS-Sungl ... 911&sr=8-5
Not sure how robust the insert would be and some reviews mention that they are a bit gappy around the nose letting wind into your eyes.
Inserts £40 in Specsavers , £80 with varifocals.
Beauty will save the world.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I usually use my ordinary varifocals (Ray Ban) but it's not ideal.
I have been looking at these but can't make up my mind https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCKBROS-Sungl ... 911&sr=8-5
Not sure how robust the insert would be and some reviews mention that they are a bit gappy around the nose letting wind into your eyes.

There are common problem with any system with secondary inserts for prescription, including:

more reflections/flaring from the multiple surfaces
moisture on four surfaces from rain or sweat, rather than two
slightly higher tendency to fog up than single lens
vision doesn't seem to be quite as clear as a single lens even in good lighting conditions

I used a setup with inserts for some time, they worked OK within the limits above. I'd put it down as secondary to a single prescription lens by some margin, but should be considerably cheaper, and can deal with a wider range of prescriptions.

One of the cheapest ways to go this route is for "safety glasses", rather than "cycling glasses".

- Nigel
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Nigel wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:I usually use my ordinary varifocals (Ray Ban) but it's not ideal.

There are common problem with any system with secondary inserts for prescription, including:

more reflections/flaring from the multiple surfaces
moisture on four surfaces from rain or sweat, rather than two
slightly higher tendency to fog up than single lens
vision doesn't seem to be quite as clear as a single lens even in good lighting conditions

I used a setup with inserts for some time, they worked OK within the limits above. I'd put it down as secondary to a single prescription lens by some margin, but should be considerably cheaper, and can deal with a wider range of prescriptions.

One of the cheapest ways to go this route is for "safety glasses", rather than "cycling glasses".

- Nigel

I agree with all you have said.
Some years ago, I had some Rudy Projects Rydon’s with an insert. The worked well enough but did occasionally mist up which was annoying.
I don’t want to spend too much now as I probably won’t be getting years use out of them now so will either go with the Rockbros ones on just wear my tinted Ray Ban wayfarers.
Beauty will save the world.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Seeking advice on RX prescription inserts to fit on a pair of glasses. I'm looking at buying a pair of Oakley Racing Jacket glasses with prizm lenses online as they look just perfect for protecting my eyes from flies/debris plus covers more than other cycling glasses. There is one website Extreme Eyewear who will do RX inserts and also sells Racing Jackets but in limited colours (black or white) and far too expensive at £339 per pair with £70 for inserts on top. I have found a pair of yellow & black Racing Jackets a lot cheaper online and would prefer to buy these then get the RX inserts from Extreme Eyewear but so far I have not had an answer from them... I don't want to pay too much as I'm also buying new skiing goggles (as mine broke last year) so am trying to keep the costs down. I have also phoned Vision Express and they've asked me to go round to the shop tomorrow but have not exactly confirmed that they'll do the RX inserts for glasses bought elsewhere.... Has anyone ever bought a pair of glasses online/from another shop then go to Vision Express or elsewhere for a RX prescription insert to go with the glasses?
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Just received a pair of Rockbros glasses from eBay £10.90 delivered. Have spoken to a couple of opticians and expect to pay no more than £40 for the lens inserts. I have used the glasses already , admittedly only for a long days cycling, and amazed at what you get for the money. Some years ago I spent £400 on Oakleys , never agin !
If they break I will get another pair and put the prescription insert in, but they look and feel very good.
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Glasses now used 4 times, can’t fault them and just ordered prescription inserts for £24 from spex4 less.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

100%JR wrote:
TrevA wrote:You pays your money and you makes your choice. It’s just that £500 is a step too far for me, when Optilabs can do acceptable quality prescription sunglasses for £125.

Oakleys Sunglasses are expensive for one reason only....they're "in" with the whole Surf "culture". :wink:
They are good but not that good.
Are my £600 Oakley day glasses better than a £120 buy one get a free pair offered at many Opticians?No of course not.So why do I buy them?
The frames alone are £250.Are they better than say Guess/Police/Rayban/insert any designer brand here?
1.I like the fit.
2.I like glasses with straight arms.
3.They're Oakley.

I've seen several friends who swear by Oakley Flak-Jackets still swear by them once they've snapped in a spill :lol: A good old MTB mate of mine is on his 5th pair in as many years :| His aren't prescription lenses just off the shelf "sunnies"....he's just a badge biatch :lol:

It's so easy to be taken in by marketing/culture and perceived coolness.Probably same reason I only buy Adidas Samba trainers.......80% brand and 20% habit :lol:

Oakley used to do a lifetime guarantee which included loss overboard from a boat/board when bought direct. That's why they were big in the surf and sailing community. I think that stopped a while ago.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

poundlland does some in their reading glasses section. I find the weak ones ( 1.5) perfectly work well. cost £1