Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Parking on the pavement to be banned!

Post by pwa »

Modern cars don't fit in most older garages. And many driveways are too narrow for a car with the doors open. Cars have got too fat for a lot of the parking spaces that came with older houses. My own garage would be a bit tight to put a car in and then get out of the car. The driveway that leads up to it is a bit narrow too, but I have parked on it. If I do I have to decide whether I want the left side doors or the right side doors to open. Mostly, though, I park on the street with all four wheels on the road and not the pavement.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have also parked on the pavement occasionally temporarily only never left it there and walked away.
Certainly I would move it very quickly if anyone was walking down the pavement walk on the pavement even.
Have you ever stood on the pavement while cars mount it and drive toward you?

Size of your vehicle has nothing to do with it.
When you have no space you just drive further down the road and find somewhere to park.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Pavement parking is a big problem for people with mobility problems. I've also seen someone in a mobility scooter preceded by a companion on foot moving the recycling bins and A-boards so she could get through. Too many obstacles, most of them unthinking.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Pavement parking is a big problem for people with mobility problems. I've also seen someone in a mobility scooter preceded by a companion on foot moving the recycling bins and A-boards so she could get through. Too many obstacles, most of them unthinking.

And for mothers or fathers with a child in a push chair.
It seems to me that two wheels on the pavement is the default parking position for many drivers. I see it done on quiet, wide roads, and by cars in a line of others parked correctly.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Pavement parking is a big problem for people with mobility problems. I've also seen someone in a mobility scooter preceded by a companion on foot moving the recycling bins and A-boards so she could get through. Too many obstacles, most of them unthinking.

Ah, the bins! I know some streets where the council have issued wheelie bins to folk living in houses accessed up steep narrow steps, with no driveways and the only place they can leave the wheelie bins is on the narrow pavements.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:Modern cars don't fit in most older garages. And many driveways are too narrow for a car with the doors open. Cars have got too fat

How perverse, one really *has* to park on the public road
One might convert the garage into an extra room, but people have fewer children now, probably not needed, in my leafy suburb most houses are too big already
Or use the garage for N+1 or a model railway or a library :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

In my pram pushing days if car owners parked on the pavement leaving an insufficient gap then they might wake up to discover that their wing mirrors had been accidentally knocked off. You need a proper old style pram rather than a modern buggy though.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:Ah, the bins! I know some streets where the council have issued wheelie bins to folk living in houses accessed up steep narrow steps, with no driveways and the only place they can leave the wheelie bins is on the narrow pavements.

When I lived in such a house I refused to accept a wheelie bin.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:Modern cars don't fit in most older garages. And many driveways are too narrow for a car with the doors open. Cars have got too fat

How perverse, one really *has* to park on the public road
One might convert the garage into an extra room, but people have fewer children now, probably not needed, in my leafy suburb most houses are too big already
Or use the garage for N+1 or a model railway or a library :?

Mine is stuffed with fire wood, gardening and DIY stuff and, of course, bikes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:Ah, the bins! I know some streets where the council have issued wheelie bins to folk living in houses accessed up steep narrow steps, with no driveways and the only place they can leave the wheelie bins is on the narrow pavements.

When I lived in such a house I refused to accept a wheelie bin.

It may be a passing problem because with changing recycling routines some Local Authorities have done away with them. Ours has.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote:In my pram pushing days if car owners parked on the pavement leaving an insufficient gap then they might wake up to discover that their wing mirrors had been accidentally knocked off. You need a proper old style pram rather than a modern buggy though.

I have done that too. It makes you see red.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:In my pram pushing days if car owners parked on the pavement leaving an insufficient gap then they might wake up to discover that their wing mirrors had been accidentally knocked off. You need a proper old style pram rather than a modern buggy though.

I sometimes give the mirror a twist, and once one came away in my hand. Clearly a dangerously rusted car. I left it on the bonnet.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:

Modern door mirrors can be folded away without damage, but even that might drive a morton crazy :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

My 2001 Passat which has sat in my 1970s block garage since Oct '17 fits in no problem, in fact I can put bikes down the drivers side with the car in there though I have the wing mirrors in either side to maximize space with it being a storage locker :lol: The width - 1740mm, is 5.6cm less than a brand new Mercedes Benz A Class, however that goes up to an additional 15cm by the time you're at the S-class 'long' which is 1906mm wide.

My son has a '16 plate Dacia Duster which is 1806mm, 1825mm for the latest Focus, 1809mm for the latest Astra, for the vast majority of cars there's no excuse on the older garages being too narrow narrative, it's simply down to laziness and anti social behaviour.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The utility cyclist wrote:My 2001 Passat which has sat in my 1970s block garage since Oct '17 fits in no problem, in fact I can put bikes down the drivers side with the car in there though I have the wing mirrors in either side to maximize space with it being a storage locker :lol: The width - 1740mm, is 5.6cm less than a brand new Mercedes Benz A Class, however that goes up to an additional 15cm by the time you're at the S-class 'long' which is 1906mm wide.

My son has a '16 plate Dacia Duster which is 1806mm, 1825mm for the latest Focus, 1809mm for the latest Astra, for the vast majority of cars there's no excuse on the older garages being too narrow narrative, it's simply down to laziness and anti social behaviour.

I haven't gone round measuring other people's garages but mine won't take our Golf without it being a struggle to get out. I did park in there when we first moved in and had old Karrimat on the wall in case the door touched it. Opening the boot resulted in the lid (estate) touching the garage door. But I also came to the conclusion that cars rust more when put away damp. Parking outside seemed to me to result in less rust. Either way, the garage mutated into a DIY workshop / bike store.