Advantage of battery removal?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
samsbike

Advantage of battery removal?

Post by samsbike »

What is the advantage of being able to remove the battery?

I read conversations about it’s removal but don’t fully understand why it’s important

Thanks
billym444

Re: Advantage of battery removal?

Post by billym444 »

it not that important, though makes charging easyer in some way if you can remove the battery.

also if the battery is connected im sure the voltage loss is more, so probably needs checking more oftern. myself i wouldnt build a bike unless the battery can at the very least be disconected.

now someone may correct me, but as said i think you battery drains quicker if connected all the time.
big Bafang fan lol
hemo

Post by hemo »

If it's cold and below freezing then the battery needs charging indoors, lithium doesn't hold capacity well though the voltage may read correctly.
Being able to remove the battery makes the bike a bit lighter for lifting and maintenance etc.
If the battery switch is connected via BMS then it should be ok left on a bike but make sure it is off other wise it will drain the cells and once they go below 2v they are toast. Below 3v then most need manually raising for charging then to begin.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Good to know. Thanks
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My shed doesn't have a power supply so I have always removed the battery. Easy to charge, easy to store, fits in seconds.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

Mainly charging, especially in cold weather as hemo said.
Can be helpful for security in some situations; though mostly you won't want to lug around a battery while leaving the bike slightly safer.
Can be helpful for extended journeys as you can easily switch batteries in and out.

It seems that there is a trend towards more integrated batteries for ebikes, following the same undesirable trend in mobile phones.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

When touring a removable battery is useful for recharging in pubs or at campsites.

I suspect I will only ever get a bike and retro fit the motor etc.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

Another advantage of removing to charge indoors is that is is easier to make sure you turn off the charger when the charge is complete. Apparently regular overcharging is not good for the battery, and chargers/BMSs are not as intelligent about that as they might be.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I'll once more recommend the Fazua Evation system.

https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/con ... ction.aspx

Battery and motor easily decoupled in one second or so.

Bike entirely usable with or without the battery/motor unit installed, without need to disconnect anything else.

Standard bike parts and design other than the BB gearbox connecting the motor to a standard chainset and a downtube hollow to take the battery/motor unit.

No drag from the motor when it isn't in use (not pedalling; no charge left; above 25 kph).

Far better battery/motor-to-bike integration than any add-on motor.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
monxton

Post by monxton »

I regarded a removable battery as a required feature when specifying my e-bike. The reasons is that I do cycling-touring holidays, usually staying in hotels, so at the end of the day the bike goes into the hotel's bike garage and the battery comes into my room to be charged up. I wouldn't count on there being a power socket available in the garage.
Last edited by monxton on 10 Apr 2021, 12:48am, edited 1 time in total.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Useful to know - but the integrated ones do look nice
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

samsbike wrote:Useful to know - but the integrated ones do look nice

Looks are NOT what is important when using (and buying) an ebike. After renting one on a bicycle tour in France, I must admit that being able to remove the battery and then charging it in a hotel room prevents a LOT of issues - including an uncharged battery on the morning or NO battery at all due to theft/vandalism.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Yes being able to remove a battery means a bike may be less attractive to steal or re -sell, any one stealing one for use will need to out lay for a battery and charger. Charging a battery on tour or holiday is simplified with battery removal.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

I had my Orbea Gain in the shed, fully charged, from mid October to mid January, through a variety of weather conditions including hard frost.
Over this time it lost about 8% of charge. I did have a problem a couple of times last winter when it was too cold to charge and the button flashed purple.
I've been touring a couple of times and have had no problem finding somewhere to charge the non removable battery.
Recently I have brought the bike in the house.
hemo

Post by hemo »

What manufacturers don't tell you is leaving lithium fully charged is a bad for life cycle/capacity retention in the longer term as does charging to 4.2v per cell at near freezing temps. If only China makers and tech engineers designed generic BMS to balance charge at 4.1v then we would get many more years of life out of them, but they don't because it is bad for business revenue.
The usable capacity/range in the top 0.1v of charge is very low and less then <5% so not a lot to be gained.

I charge my batteries to 4.1v and carry out a full balance charge every 3 or 4 months just to stop cell balance straying.
With my Sans type charger I can adjust the voltage port in side by modifying the casing to allow easy access with a screwdriver.