More Trump idiocy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

More Trump idiocy

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

Of course, it's quite understandable, seeing as he can't speak a word of Korean (sort of Chinese, ain't it?) - and with his reading age of about seven or eight, the subtitles are flashing past far too quickly for him to master...

But: Gone With The Wind??? OK, it was an amazing epic in its time. Yes, I've never sat through the whole thing (who has?), but I've seen some memorable clips from it - like when the little girl falls off the horse, and the ending with the "Frankly I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" catchphrases.

But the film has come up for much criticism: its principal characters are on the Confederate side, the film portrays slavery in a favourable light, with stereotyped black American characters. Hattie McDaniel may have won an Oscar for her role, but she was far from happy.

Is that what Trump is now aligning himself with? What next? Birth of a Nation?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Re: More Trump idiocy

Post by reohn2 »

Does this guy know how stupid and prejudiced he sounds?
Do the people who hang on ever word he utters know how stupid they are?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I have a horrible suspicion that he's nailed it in terms of how his current supporters will hear this.

My one solace - from the linked article - is this:

Neon, the studio that produced Parasite, responded to Trump’s dig on Twitter with a dig of its own: “Understandable, he can’t read.”
:lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote:I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

Of course, it's quite understandable, seeing as he can't speak a word of Korean (sort of Chinese, ain't it?) - and with his reading age of about seven or eight, the subtitles are flashing past far too quickly for him to master...

But: Gone With The Wind??? OK, it was an amazing epic in its time. Yes, I've never sat through the whole thing (who has?), but I've seen some memorable clips from it - like when the little girl falls off the horse, and the ending with the "Frankly I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" catchphrases.

But the film has come up for much criticism: its principal characters are on the Confederate side, the film portrays slavery in a favourable light, with stereotyped black American characters. Hattie McDaniel may have won an Oscar for her role, but she was far from happy.

It's almost as though Trump wants his supporters to believe he's a racist.

At least it would never happen here.

You can't imagine a UK Prime minister lying about millions of Turks coming here.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using racial slurs and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using derogatory language about religious dress and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister employing a eugenicist.

No, there's no way a UK prime minister would set out to encourage and exploit ethnic and religious prejudice.

The British are better than the Americans. We'd see through such a charlatan and never elect them.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

President Trump's opponents spend most of their time telling us how nasty and stupid they think he is rather than putting forward policies of their own which appeal to sufficient voters to secure their victory and Trump's defeat.

It reminds me of the Brexit debate over here where one side thought it was a good idea to describe their opponents as uninformed, ignorant, uneducated, gullible and even racist.

The public is usually unimpressed with such an approach to electoral campaigning.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Gone With the Wind suits him for many reasons.

I will leave it at that.

p.s. I have seen the film and read part of the book
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

It's almost as though Trump wants his supporters to believe he's a racist.

At least it would never happen here.

You can't imagine a UK Prime minister lying about millions of Turks coming here.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using racial slurs and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using derogatory language about religious dress and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister employing a eugenicist.

No, there's no way a UK prime minister would set out to encourage and exploit ethnic and religious prejudice.

The British are better than the Americans. We'd see through such a charlatan and never elect them.

If that kind of thing happened here then we'd see an exodus of foreigners. Meanwhile 3m foreigners have applied for settled status in the UK and our border force has a difficult job stopping people coming here illegally.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

carpetcleaner wrote:
If that kind of thing happened here then...

I don't think you've been paying attention.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

carpetcleaner wrote:........
If that kind of thing happened here then we'd see an exodus of foreigners. Meanwhile 3m foreigners have applied for settled status in the UK and our border force has a difficult job stopping people coming here illegally.

Maybe you have not noticed
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/08/nhs-nursing-crisis-worsened-by-brexit-exodus wrote:Almost 5,000 nurses and midwives from EU27 countries have quit the NHS in the past two years, with many of those identifying Brexit as the trigger.

Of course "we don't need them" as UK employers should apparently be paying more and training more (yet Conservatives e.g. removed nurses bursaries ...).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:........

Maybe you have not noticed
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/08/nhs-nursing-crisis-worsened-by-brexit-exodus wrote:Almost 5,000 nurses and midwives from EU27 countries have quit the NHS in the past two years, with many of those identifying Brexit as the trigger.

Of course "we don't need them" as UK employers should apparently be paying more and training more (yet Conservatives e.g. removed nurses bursaries ...).

Ian

Incredible innit?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

I hope we're still allowed to say how incredibly stupid we think Drumpf and his cronies are.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

An antagonist for his own entertainment then,is that OK?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Digressing a bit, excerpts from the Democrat debate last night I thought Bloomberg looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. They were showing relevant attacks on him (e.g. about NDA's he has over complaints about his "who knowns what", etc.) so excerpts to show the questions being raised but he was a complete failure.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote:Digressing a bit, excerpts from the Democrat debate last night I thought Bloomberg looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. They were showing relevant attacks on him (e.g. about NDA's he has over complaints about his "who knowns what", etc.) so excerpts to show the questions being raised but he was a complete failure.

Ian

Someone temporarily updated his Wiki page just after the debate. It said he died February 19, 2020 and the cause of death was listed as Elizabeth Warren. :lol: https://secondnexus.com/democratic-deba ... -wikipedia