Campagnolo 10s groupset compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TimWilcox

Campagnolo 10s groupset compatibility

Post by TimWilcox »

I'm finding all of this 10-speed compatibility lark too much - I wonder if you can simplify it for me?

I've got a pick n mix of Centaur/Veloce 10s on my bike. Ordered it online (maybe ribble) about 8 years ago and I'm unsure of the model year.

The right shifter is dropping all the gears on with one down shift - clunkclunkclunkclunk.

1. How do I work out the model year?
2. Can I repair my right shifter easily? I read something about g-springs... is it worth it/reliable?
3. What is the best/most appropriate upgrade I can do for my 10s shifters? I like the look of the older style hoods, but, I'm unsure of the compatibility and think my bigger Veloce hoods might be better for off-road grip-ability.

It was always in my mind to upgrade/repair components when they failed, but because of this confusion (and for various other reasons (I'd like more tyre clearance mostly), I'm tempted to close my eyes and buy a fancy new bike...

Cheers
Attachments
IMG-20180716-WA0000.jpeg
mattsccm

Re: Campagnolo 10s groupset compatibility

Post by mattsccm »

I am going to take a bet that the shifter is knackered as its a low spec version and you can't buy the bits. (I think mine is similar. 10 speed with the older style straight hoods not the newer curved one?)
Well you can, its a complete body which tends to be full retail price whereas you can buy a complete new set discounted somewhere for not much more. That is what I did.
I suspect that there is wear on some plastic pawl inside. There are several Campag experts here just waiting to put me right. Have a look at the Too good to lose section.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I basically agree with the above; after a certain date the 10s shifters in the lower groups have pretty crappy internal parts; I'm surprised they have lasted this long. You don't need to worry about G-springs; odds on you don't have any in your shifters.

However you can buy the complete shifter assy for not too much money; there are at least four different versions here starting at £39;

https://www.gbcycles.co.uk/c/68/Campagnolo-Spares/3

you will have to swap the old clamp, brake lever blade and the hood into the new shifter assy.

To choose the correct one requires that you identify your shifters. In the campagnolo archives you can find the spare parts listings for each year; it is just a question of looking at the various models from (say) 2009 to 2012 and seeing what variations there are, and which matches yours best. A close-up photo or two of your shifter may help.

ISTR that it is possible in some cases to upgrade the RH shifter to a better specification one, but I've forgotten all the details.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheaper than when I last looked. This post made me dig out my knackered one. I just cannot work out what is worn. Something is as I can wind the lever up, sticking it in bottom if you like, and a touch of the bottom and it does as we all know. That's without it being fitted. Has anyone actually worked out which bit wears? I would love to have a go at making a replacement. :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:Cheaper than when I last looked. This post made me dig out my knackered one. I just cannot work out what is worn. Something is as I can wind the lever up, sticking it in bottom if you like, and a touch of the bottom and it does as we all know. That's without it being fitted. Has anyone actually worked out which bit wears? I would love to have a go at making a replacement. :roll:

You can see in the back of the mechanism quite clearly, there's a plastic prodder which is part of the thumb button assy. When it is new the prodder stops the shift wheel, mid-shift. When it is worn (which doesn't take that long) it doesn't.

The thumb button is riveted into the lever housing and isn't designed to be replaced. It can't cost more than 10p to make the part itself.

Campag could have designed the part so that it didn't wear out so fast, or was easily renewed, or had a replaceable tip, but they didn't do any of these things.

cheers
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Got it! That rivet is coming out. One way or another.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think Cycle Clinic may have the best availability of Campag Ergolever spares (although there's also Mercian and Velotech).

Personally I don't think Campag transmission is a good choice for a bike like that which looks as though it is used for loaded touring. Moreover, as you yourself have noted the tyre clearance is limited - that looks like a Pompino frame which I suspect won't accept tyres wider than ~28mm with mudguards, and so is similarly not a good choice for loaded touring.

Therefore, my advice would be not to buy a fancy new bike, but to buy a nice bike which meets your needs better. My suggestion would be a Spa steel tourer. If your bike had a Shimano drivetrain I would suggest just buying the frame from Spa and transplanting the components from your current bike, but it would probably be best to start largely from scratch and get a complete new bike.

As for the Campag levers, I would gut the lever of the shift mechanism and convert it to just a brake lever (I find those levers have the best ergonomics of the available brifters and plain brake levers). In fact they would be my preferred choice of brake lever on a tourer fitted with cantilevers or mini v brakes, in combination with down tube levers or bar end shifters.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I guess the OP might want to go for the cheaper option but if he is doing up his bike then I have a brand new set of old style record shifters, similar to these Record Shifters but mine are non QS so they are compatible with non QS front derailleur and can drop multiple gears with one shift.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:Got it! That rivet is coming out. One way or another.

do let us know how you get on.

FWIW It strikes me that you might be able to extend the prodder with a replaceable part, and if you were suitably cunning you might be able to do this with the thumb button still in situ, either by screwing something to the arm or perhaps by plastic welding.

Another thought I have had is that it may be possible to use a 3D printer to make a replacement part. I am not sure if the plastics that are compatible with 3D printing are suitably wear resistant though.

If the thumb button/prodder wore out (even every year) but could simply be unscrewed and replaced, that would be OK. The failure mode is at least fairly benign, and the bike remains ridable even when the part gets a bit worn; too many upshifts at once is hardly ever a major safety issue, it is more just annoying.

cheers
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Well the rivet came out easy enough. It's just a pin that can be pushed out from behind. Tricky bit is that you have to remove the main gear lever to get to the back of the pin. Took me ages to get the spring that side back in place and now I think I may have put the toothed wheel, that the main lever pushes on, in backwards as the lever now isn't doing anything.
I don't have anything to refer to check the exact shape of that plastic bit but to be honest it looks unworn with manufacturing moulding marks still there . Hmm.
However there is a small spring, much as you find in a biro, that pushes the dog down that keeps the sog in place. Maybe this has lost its springiness.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Fixed it! Hopefully and at least in my hand it works. It's the end of the plastic bit that you can see touching the plastic teeth. It doesn't release anything, it just stops the whole lot dropping back when the the other end releases. Took a soldering iron to the pointy end and remade its shape.
Too a newer one apart to investigate. Real pain to get them back together.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:Fixed it! Hopefully and at least in my hand it works. It's the end of the plastic bit that you can see touching the plastic teeth. It doesn't release anything, it just stops the whole lot dropping back when the the other end releases. Took a soldering iron to the pointy end and remade its shape.
Too a newer one apart to investigate. Real pain to get them back together.

well done! As I said the prodder is meant to stop the shift wheel during an upshift, and with use the end just wears away. If you can get matching plastic, it would be possible to add material to the end of the prodder rather than just move it around.

cheers