Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Derekoak

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Derekoak »

I live in The lancashire Pennines, but we travel a lot to Mountains in Scotland and Europe. I am retired and now mostly run, because my wife finds cycling more difficult due to arthritic hands. She could not pull cable brakes on hard enough any more so had to walk down hills! We bought her an Isla bike specially made for old people with hydraulic disc brakes, step through frame, single chainring 10 speed block, light aluminium frame, flat handlebars, small adjustable brake levers, but still mostly we run. So sometimes we run for 3 days through the Alps to my bike, dropped earlier, so I can cycle back say 80 k to get our camper. Or we run to a point where we have left our bikes, say on the Welsh coast path, cycle to a lunch point at the camper, cycle on to another point, run back, get the bikes, find an overnight spot. Then repeat the next day. We are 3/4 of the way round now Wales, just the south coast to do.
My great grandfather had a toy shop and when bikes became fashionable became a bike shop owner. His 6 sons all had bike shops at one time. My grandfather had a good customer who married one of his daughters, (my parents), I still have the frame my grandfather made for my dad about 1930. they all were members of The Parkhill cycling club. So I have cycled all my life. I estimate 70,000 miles.
We must downsize our house soon so I must sell a Challenge wizard 2 wheel recumbent when I have maintained it.
Banditrjwj

Hello to all

Post by Banditrjwj »

Hi my name is John and live in the UK in dorset I'm 62
Recently got into ebike as 3 of my friends have got them but there all about 40 and they can't help me.
I have 2 ELECTROBIKE PLUS 26 there both folding bike and both working or were now only one
Do I post in this section or is there another section many thank for any help.
I would also like to thank the Mods for helping me out.
Dave_S.

Post by Dave_S. »

Hi, I'm Dave, early 60s, live in Oxfordshire and have recently decided to get back into a bit of cycling, mainly as a form of exercise as my ability to walk has been compromised by a motorcycle accident a few years ago.

I used to live in London and often cycled to work and for leisure, and also lived abroad and cycled quite a bit then. Since moving back to the UK 7 years ago I haven't had a bicycle, but hopefully that is about to change as I have one reserved at a local used bike place.

Mainly interested in cycling on quiet roads and along tow paths, etc. Other interests include the music of the Grateful Dead, and playing a bit of bass guitar. I often combine these two interests!
Wipperman_95

Post by Wipperman_95 »

Longshot wrote:Morning. Another refugee from the dying BikeRadar forum here. 51, Surrey based, fat and keen road cyclist. Nice to participate in a readable forum.

Same here - they made a huge error with the new forum....it's not worth going on it.

I'm 47, North-West and ride road, off road & sometimes MTB......
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced
Raleigh Record Sprint 1990
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Hi everyone

I don’t often see many female comments on here but thought I’d add to this long thread.

I’ve cycled for as long as I can remember, my wheels are part of my body I think!

On my 65th birthday I set myself the challenge of cycling 10k miles by my 70th and as if 7th October 2019 I hit 12,250 miles.

At the start of this year I visited some of my teenage haunts and came upon this badge which I’m sure some of you will recognise. It is affixed to the outside wall of an hotel in Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. I had forgotten all about it so it was a welcome memory on 4th January this year.

I live in Southampton but frequently return to the growing up places of Carmarthenshire.

8E95AC98-1E6C-4EDD-BA3D-70327187686D.jpeg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yvonned wrote:I don’t often see many female comments on here but thought I’d add to this long thread.

I think it worth remembering that one can't always tell female from the comment, many usernames are not gendered and even a male name being used may be misleading.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brownie17

Post by brownie17 »

Welcome. Yes a lot of helpful people and info on here. However reading the forum could seriously impact on time for cycling!!!!!
markyone

Post by markyone »

Newbie here,i have always been on bike radar but the site now is unbearable to use so i am now here :D
I am 59 this year and i love my bikes and riding around uk as much as france in the alps.
Here are my pride and joy.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hVZc3d]Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hVWDHa]Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ik77Ur]Image
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

^ Nice -- had a quick look at the bileradar (do you see what I did there ) site and it's still ruined -- that's what happens when the numpties take control. Let the experts do their job
I am here. Where are you?
markyone

Post by markyone »

T-800

Post by T-800 »

*Test post*
Another BikeRadar drop out.
Eddy,51 from Penistone South Yorkshire.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

T-800 wrote:*Test post*

Must be on the way out by now -- is there anyone left?
I am here. Where are you?
T-800

Post by T-800 »

Cowsham wrote:
T-800 wrote:*Test post*

Must be on the way out by now -- is there anyone left?

Doesn't look that way!
toby10ant

Post by toby10ant »

My real name: Toby

Favourite colour: Blue

Bikes/Cycling: I have a Brompton, a Trek 'Dutch' ebike and a Genesis Tour de Fer touring bike that I built from the frame up. Regular cycle commuter to work.

Interesting fact: I spent a year living in Prague as a six year old when my dad worked at Staropramen.
Gew

Post by Gew »

Hi guys, I don't have an age but I live outside of the UK right now. However, I love Great Britain and foremost I love bicycling. I have this cheap but still badass 29:er but sometimes I treat the damn thing as of it was a freestyle BMX, LOL. Next time I go to the UK we could all hook up and go for a ride? I'm assuming the terrible epidemic virus will be gone by then. Cheers!