Amazon

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe
Posts: 12210
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Amazon

Postby Psamathe » 24 Feb 2020, 2:42pm

PH wrote:...
Psamathe wrote:In terms of environmental damage I'm unsure because although the van is virtually going past my house anyway, I am partially creating the demand for it be be anywhere near my house so I'm more than riding on the back of something happening anyway. But that vs a 30 mile round trip in the car (ignoring cycling as I don't cycle there (nowhere safe to leave bike).
Similarly, to return it's a cyclable (6 mile round trip) to a Post Office and you can be absolutely sure a van would be going to Amazon (or similar) warehouses every day.

Sorry, I'm going to dismiss the "Van is going there anyway" argument, it's making those trips because on cumulative demand and that comes from individuals. Your 30 mile road trip is also well outside the average, isn't it something like 80% of the population who live in Urban areas?
The point I was making was particulaly aimed at the ease of returns, if a third of staff employed in the warehouse are dealing with them, it's hard to imagine that will not result in a lot of additional transport......

Just like I said but you dismissed ... (except you were actually agreeing ....

Ian

PH
Posts: 9954
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Amazon

Postby PH » 24 Feb 2020, 2:45pm

Psamathe wrote:Just like I said but you dismissed ... (except you were actually agreeing ....
Ian

Apologies - misread :oops:

kwackers
Posts: 15451
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Amazon

Postby kwackers » 24 Feb 2020, 3:29pm

PH wrote:
kwackers wrote:They all appear to be grocers...

Are you following the thread? I'm responding to the quote immediately above it:
Maybe similar equation to supermarket online/home delivery vs visiting the place yourself and that must vary depending on where you live in relation to the supermarket.

Following; yes. Suffering from some confusion about what folk actually mean; yes.

thornie1543
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Feb 2015, 6:30pm
Location: Port talbot.
Contact:

Re: Amazon

Postby thornie1543 » 24 Feb 2020, 3:40pm

You don't cycle there because there is nowhere safe to leave the bike ? do you live in Syria? and its fun reading you all bicker when you haven't a clue,same old same old.

Psamathe
Posts: 12210
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Amazon

Postby Psamathe » 24 Feb 2020, 3:42pm

thornie1543 wrote:You don't cycle there because there is nowhere safe to leave the bike ? do you live in Syria? and its fun reading you all bicker when you haven't a clue,same old same old.

Maybe you could tell where I can safely leave my bike in my local city as you claim to know and claim I "haven't a clue". As, by your own claims you know better then give us the guidance of your wisdom.

Ian

mattheus
Posts: 1576
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Amazon

Postby mattheus » 24 Feb 2020, 4:12pm

… but you do live somewhere safer than Syria ;)

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Amazon

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Feb 2020, 8:33am

I plan to see a film made by Ken Loach, 'Sorry we missed you', about a delivery driver and his family
Seems the drivers have quite flexible conditions of employment :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

philvantwo
Posts: 1199
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: Amazon

Postby philvantwo » 27 Feb 2020, 6:51pm

Yeah, its called being self employed! No holiday or sick pay.
Last edited by philvantwo on 27 Feb 2020, 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Amazon

Postby carpetcleaner » 27 Feb 2020, 7:18pm

philvantwo wrote:Yeah, it called being self employed! No holiday or sick pay.


No guaranteed work either. Displease the company in any way whatsoever and they will stop giving you work.

This also applies to zero hour contract employees who can find their hours cut to zero for a week or two for daring to refuse to do extra unpaid work after their shift has ended, such as cleaning the shop or loading a van. Some companies discourage sick days by cancelling all shifts for a week after a person rings in sick. Other staff eagerly take their hours because they need the money.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Amazon

Postby carpetcleaner » 31 Mar 2020, 8:00pm

Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... rotection/

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 926
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Amazon

Postby Syd » 31 Mar 2020, 8:14pm

carpetcleaner wrote:Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... rotection/

There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Amazon

Postby carpetcleaner » 31 Mar 2020, 8:44pm

Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... rotection/

There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.



There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 926
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Amazon

Postby Syd » 31 Mar 2020, 8:49pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... rotection/

There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.



There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.

I have a staff member who used to be a warehouse operative for Amazon. The stories he tells me are different. For reasons I am not at liberty to divulge I have no reason to disbelieve him.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Amazon

Postby carpetcleaner » 31 Mar 2020, 9:16pm

Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.



There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.

I have a staff member who used to be a warehouse operative for Amazon. The stories he tells me are different. For reasons I am not at liberty to divulge I have no reason to disbelieve him.


A non-disclosure agreement with Amazon?

Lots of people saying it is a terrible place to work.

Doesn't want unions on site.

Is forced to advertise its low paid jobs on TV when plenty of other companies have no trouble filling similar posts.

Finds a reason to sack a person who speaks out about a dangerous situation at work.

Steer clear. Don't use it. Anyone who does condones its treatment of its staff.

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 926
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Amazon

Postby Syd » 31 Mar 2020, 9:32pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.

I have a staff member who used to be a warehouse operative for Amazon. The stories he tells me are different. For reasons I am not at liberty to divulge I have no reason to disbelieve him.


A non-disclosure agreement with Amazon?

Lots of people saying it is a terrible place to work.

Doesn't want unions on site.

Is forced to advertise its low paid jobs on TV when plenty of other companies have no trouble filling similar posts.

Finds a reason to sack a person who speaks out about a dangerous situation at work.

Steer clear. Don't use it. Anyone who does condones its treatment of its staff.

As I have stated previously there are two sides to every story.

I, personally, will trust what I am told first hand by a former employee over anything I read in the media.