Amazon

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Amazon

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:...
Psamathe wrote:In terms of environmental damage I'm unsure because although the van is virtually going past my house anyway, I am partially creating the demand for it be be anywhere near my house so I'm more than riding on the back of something happening anyway. But that vs a 30 mile round trip in the car (ignoring cycling as I don't cycle there (nowhere safe to leave bike).
Similarly, to return it's a cyclable (6 mile round trip) to a Post Office and you can be absolutely sure a van would be going to Amazon (or similar) warehouses every day.

Sorry, I'm going to dismiss the "Van is going there anyway" argument, it's making those trips because on cumulative demand and that comes from individuals. Your 30 mile road trip is also well outside the average, isn't it something like 80% of the population who live in Urban areas?
The point I was making was particulaly aimed at the ease of returns, if a third of staff employed in the warehouse are dealing with them, it's hard to imagine that will not result in a lot of additional transport......

Just like I said but you dismissed ... (except you were actually agreeing ....

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:Just like I said but you dismissed ... (except you were actually agreeing ....
Ian

Apologies - misread :oops:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PH wrote:
kwackers wrote:They all appear to be grocers...

Are you following the thread? I'm responding to the quote immediately above it:
Maybe similar equation to supermarket online/home delivery vs visiting the place yourself and that must vary depending on where you live in relation to the supermarket.

Following; yes. Suffering from some confusion about what folk actually mean; yes.
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

You don't cycle there because there is nowhere safe to leave the bike ? do you live in Syria? and its fun reading you all bicker when you haven't a clue,same old same old.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thornie1543 wrote:You don't cycle there because there is nowhere safe to leave the bike ? do you live in Syria? and its fun reading you all bicker when you haven't a clue,same old same old.

Maybe you could tell where I can safely leave my bike in my local city as you claim to know and claim I "haven't a clue". As, by your own claims you know better then give us the guidance of your wisdom.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

… but you do live somewhere safer than Syria ;)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I plan to see a film made by Ken Loach, 'Sorry we missed you', about a delivery driver and his family
Seems the drivers have quite flexible conditions of employment :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yeah, its called being self employed! No holiday or sick pay.
Last edited by philvantwo on 27 Feb 2020, 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

philvantwo wrote:Yeah, it called being self employed! No holiday or sick pay.

No guaranteed work either. Displease the company in any way whatsoever and they will stop giving you work.

This also applies to zero hour contract employees who can find their hours cut to zero for a week or two for daring to refuse to do extra unpaid work after their shift has ended, such as cleaning the shop or loading a van. Some companies discourage sick days by cancelling all shifts for a week after a person rings in sick. Other staff eagerly take their hours because they need the money.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... rotection/
Syd

Post by Syd »

carpetcleaner wrote:Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

No wonder Amazon has to advertise on TV to try to convince people its a good place to work.

There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Amazon fires a worker who was speaking out. No unions at Amazon so the company knows it can do as it likes with little chance of any consequences.

There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.

There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.
Syd

Post by Syd »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:

There are indeed two sides to every story. A firm which does not recognise unions does not want both sides to be heard, and we can be doubtful and cynical about its side. Amazon has either been subjected to large amounts of unjustified publicity about what a poor employer it is, or it is actually a poor employer.

I know what I think.

I have a staff member who used to be a warehouse operative for Amazon. The stories he tells me are different. For reasons I am not at liberty to divulge I have no reason to disbelieve him.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:There are two sides to every story and if parts of Amazon’s response are true e.g coming on site when being told to self isolate, he’d be subject to disciplinary action in any responsible employer even here in the UK.

I know what I think.

I have a staff member who used to be a warehouse operative for Amazon. The stories he tells me are different. For reasons I am not at liberty to divulge I have no reason to disbelieve him.

A non-disclosure agreement with Amazon?

Lots of people saying it is a terrible place to work.

Doesn't want unions on site.

Is forced to advertise its low paid jobs on TV when plenty of other companies have no trouble filling similar posts.

Finds a reason to sack a person who speaks out about a dangerous situation at work.

Steer clear. Don't use it. Anyone who does condones its treatment of its staff.
Syd

Post by Syd »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Syd wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

I know what I think.

A non-disclosure agreement with Amazon?

Lots of people saying it is a terrible place to work.

Doesn't want unions on site.

Is forced to advertise its low paid jobs on TV when plenty of other companies have no trouble filling similar posts.

Finds a reason to sack a person who speaks out about a dangerous situation at work.

Steer clear. Don't use it. Anyone who does condones its treatment of its staff.

As I have stated previously there are two sides to every story.

I, personally, will trust what I am told first hand by a former employee over anything I read in the media.