Turning Orbea Gain D40 into a tourer?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Heather P

Turning Orbea Gain D40 into a tourer?

Post by Heather P »

I have an Orbea gain D40, alloy frame, which I have added mudguards and a rack to enabling me to go 'shopping'!
Is there anyone who has successfully toured on such a bike? I mean road touring in France, not in the 'outback' of back and beyond!!
Is there a weight restriction to these frames? I thought they would be 'stronger' as they have to support the added weight of the battery and hub?
Can you fit a kickstand ?
Any advise would be gratefully received.
simonhill

Re: Turning Orbea Gain D40 into a tourer?

Post by simonhill »

I'm sure someone will come up with the manufacturer's figure, but a lot depends on 2 things.

How much do you weigh and how heavy is your touring load. The latter will mainly depend on what sort of accommodation you are taking.

Full camping load will probably exceed 15 kgs, going fairly lightweight could see you well under 10 kgs.

I weigh about 65 kgs, so I doubt adding a full load would put me over any limit.

Of course you have to be aware of rack carrying limit, but this is usually in excess of 25 kgs.

You have to be very careful with affixing stands. Pages have been written on on this forum. I'll leave it to others to pick it up.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If I go touring with full camping/cooking kit I take a touring bike design for carry lots of stuff.

If I stay in B&Bs or hotels then I use a aluminium 'road' bike. Both myself and Mrs Whoof have done numerous such tours in the UK (i.e. Lon Las Cymru) and France (Route de Grand Alpes) with such bikes. The only addition is rear rack and mudguards although we have used bike-packing style bags and I know some use traditional handlebar and saddle bag. The bikes we have used are a Kinesis T2 Racelight and Giant OCR. These have a bottom gear of 30/28 and 26/27 respectively and have wheels with 25 mm tyres and limited spokes (Shimano R500 24 rear, 20 front). I weight just under 70 kg and Mrs Whoof mid 50 kg's.
Possible things to note.
We don't take a lot of stuff, plenty of washing as we go.
We have never broken a spoke in years of doing this. Having more spokes 32 or 36 wouldn't add to the weight greatly but would add strength.
Narrow tyres aren't for everyone. Some say it makes them tired and gives them aches and pains, not me.
If you are fitting a rack and pannier check heel clearance. A bike not necessarily built for this may mean your heel hits the pannier.
Handling, some bikes don't handle that well when loaded up.
Gearing we have low gearing to allow us to ride all day over either short steep hills or long mountain passes, as in the two example tours I gave. You have a motor this might not be such an issue but range might be lessened if you use the motor a lot.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Very interesting, but doesn't answer the question whether that bike will be OK to tour on.

I note that she has already fitted a rack and used it for load carrying (shopping).

Looking at websites it looks like it has 32 spoke wheels and one retailer says this:

". Lightweight alloy rims are agile but strong, wrapped with fast rolling Hutchinson All Seasons road tyres on the Gain D40.

The Orbea Gain D40 2020 is built with maximum clearance, so a multitude of tyre sizes can be fitted up to 40c if required.

The new D40 is even versatile enough that it even features pannier rack and full mudguard eyelets. Should you wish to turn your Gain into a commute or light weight touring bike.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It's an electric bike I believe.

Does it have rack mounts? If so not problem.

If not the probably best to do bike packing using handlebar bags frame bags and saddle bags.

Will need to find somewhere to plug it in and since the battery isn't removable it might be an issue?

Cheers James
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The current manual, https://www.orbea.com/downloads/product ... manual.pdf appears to suggest max rider weight of 115Kg and rack weight of 15Kg.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
whoof

Post by whoof »

simonhill wrote:Very interesting, but doesn't answer the question whether that bike will be OK to tour on.

I note that she has already fitted a rack and used it for load carrying (shopping).

Looking at websites it looks like it has 32 spoke wheels and one retailer says this:

". Lightweight alloy rims are agile but strong, wrapped with fast rolling Hutchinson All Seasons road tyres on the Gain D40.

The Orbea Gain D40 2020 is built with maximum clearance, so a multitude of tyre sizes can be fitted up to 40c if required.

The new D40 is even versatile enough that it even features pannier rack and full mudguard eyelets. Should you wish to turn your Gain into a commute or light weight touring bike.

I have an Orbea gain D40, alloy frame, which I have added mudguards and a rack to enabling me to go 'shopping'!
Is there anyone who has successfully toured on such a bike? I mean road touring in France, not in the 'outback' of back and beyond!!

I have 'such a bike' that is an alloy road bike and I have toured on the road in France and done so successfully. The OP has concerns regarding weight, I don't know how much they weigh or how much stuff they plan to carry. I have posted my experiences which the OP can if they wish use to form a judgement.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, I didn't realise that when you said " I use a aluminium 'road' bike. " that it was comparable to her bike. Apologies.
Heather P

Post by Heather P »

Thank you to all who have replied so far.
To answer a few questions ...
The bike does have rack mounts, (as such I thought it was designed to be able to carry stuff!) so fitting the rack was not an issue. I do not intend to camp, rather B&B / Hotel etc. So hopefully charging won't be too much of an issue? I weigh approx 80 kg.

The dealers seem to give me conflicting advice. As is written on the website ... it can be turned into a lightweight tourer ... but others say I should buy the Orbea Gain F25 as this is ready made for touring? However I think that may be somewhat 'commercial advice!'?
Just wondered if anyone had actually be adventurous on the Gain D40.

BTW it is an amazing bike ! :D
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Surprised that so far there has been no mention of recharging the battery. It can't be removed from the bike which may present a problem if a hotel can't provide somewhere to leave it that is close to a power point. As an "assist" motor it is not as powerful as many others and with a touring load will probably need recharging more often.

I have this model and am well pleased with it but would not recommend it for touring in very hilly areas.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Heather P wrote:
The dealers seem to give me conflicting advice. As is written on the website ... it can be turned into a lightweight tourer ... but others say I should buy the Orbea Gain F25 as this is ready made for touring? However I think that may be somewhat 'commercial advice!'?
Just wondered if anyone had actually be adventurous on the Gain D40.

BTW it is an amazing bike ! :D

You don't need advice specific to this model. It's fine. Countless people tour on aluminium bikes. The majority do. It's just a bike ride at the end of the day. If it's comfortable and you can recharge it, you're good to go in France or any other western country.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

There shouldn't be a problem using your Orbea Gain D40 as a bike for touring. You've fitted a rear rack and mudguards. You can probably fit tyres up to 40mm in width if you want to.

The main issues are:-

1) The battery has to be charged in situ in the frame.

2) You cannot transport it on an aeroplane (same with all ebkies).