Land's End to Bristol in a day

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
unclesomebody

Land's End to Bristol in a day

Post by unclesomebody »

I found this forum from stw and have read through a number of threads whilst trying to create a route that goes from LE to Bristol. I'm planning on doing it in a day because it means carrying less stuff and because home is in Bristol so it's psychologically easy to push on.

After reading lots of good info I created this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32043172

It largely avoids the A30 and uses a lot of the info from a post by MickF (thank you whoever you are!). I've also included the sneaky flat way around Crediton (thanks to the other person who posted that). However, there is still quite a bit of time on the A38 and I'm wondering if there are better ways to get through that section. If anyone wants to have a look and edit the route then feel free. This is the first time I'll have done this route but Ihave come from Crediton to Bristol before and I made many terrible decisions on routing which I won't repeat!

Thanks
whoof

Re: Land's End to Bristol in a day

Post by whoof »

It's a bit of a mix as at times you're on the A30 & A38 for long stretches and at others making detours to avoid small sections of main road.
I would:
At 14 km go through Penzance centre. The road around is longer, hillier and more unpleasant.
28km go through Hayle (Hayle Terrace & Fore Street) it's flat. Going around the back it hillier and certainly no quicker or more pleasant.
62km. You've done lots of A30 might as well do another few hundred metres and avoid this dog-leg.
112km I never go through Camelford. Past Crowdy Reservoir and to Davidstow Airfield.
161 km A386 to Okehampton.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm Mick F! :D
Happy to help!

The main issue you have is distance.
It's 200miles from LE to Bristol.
Best way of doing this distance is to take the A30 all the way to Exeter, then up the Old A38 (B3181) to J27 M5 at Waterloo Cross, then A38 all the way to Bristol.
Not nice, but it's one heck of a long way.

The route you have outlined is ok but further and slower ............ it's nice to see you have included Rob's Passage.

I named it Rob's Passage after a chap on here described the route. His username was Rob S and he came (comes) from Plymouth. Never met him, but we swapped a few posts together.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5406
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:Best way of doing this distance is to take the A30 all the way to Exeter, then up the Old A38 (B3181) to J27 M5 at Waterloo Cross, then A38 all the way to Bristol. <SNIP>

I've ridden most of this, 165 miles on a 15 kg tourer carrying panniers and camping gear. The only main road sections I did were Taunton to Waterloo Cross on the A38, 20 miles. If I was on a road bike with a saddle bag another 35 miles would be well doable. There are plenty of people a lot fitter and faster than me.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well you've gotten to "meet" the legend of this forum "Mick F"!! He's cycled over every bridge that crosses the A30, visited almost all of the churches in cornwall and ridden from Lands end to john o'groats on his big chopper!
Rumour has it he was in the Royal navy for 30 years but I'm not sure if he's ever mentioned it on here.
unclesomebody

Post by unclesomebody »

Thanks for dropping in on this thread and for further input.

My primary concern is not dying, so avoiding dual carriageway and sections where the A30 is awful are a priority. I'd rather add a bit of distance and time (and suffering) in order to stay safe. I'm not quite sure on what day of the week I'll be heading back but it won't be in the early hour of Sunday morning otherwise I'd be more inclined to take the A30.

whoof wrote:
It's a bit of a mix as at times you're on the A30 & A38 for long stretches and at others making detours to avoid small sections of main road.
I would:
At 14 km go through Penzance centre. The road around is longer, hillier and more unpleasant.
28km go through Hayle (Hayle Terrace & Fore Street) it's flat. Going around the back it hillier and certainly no quicker or more pleasant.
62km. You've done lots of A30 might as well do another few hundred metres and avoid this dog-leg.
112km I never go through Camelford. Past Crowdy Reservoir and to Davidstow Airfield.
161 km A386 to Okehampton.

Thanks - I'll incorporate these into the route. My intention wasn't to spend ages on A30/38 but at points I was unsure of a good alternative and/or hadn't spent enough time following lanes on streetview. I've ridden a bit around crediton/exeter and have spent far too long on really narrow mud covered (and hilly) lanes so I know that sometimes the non-A-road route is really slow.

Anyway, part of the joy is the suffering isn't it.
unclesomebody

Post by unclesomebody »

For the benefit of any future people, I've incorporated the recommendations from whoof into this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32043172

The notable changes:
1. It's 2.7km longer
2. It has 47m less climbing

The edit to avoid going through Camelford is somewhat significant. Sticking to the main road through Camelford would save 4km and also save about 30m of climbing. So that's about 1% further but 5% less main road (also need to adjust based on avg speed but I don't know the roads well enough). Not sure of optimal ratio's for these things but I'll probably avoid camelford just to avoid the main road.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another suggestion avoiding Camelford.

You're turning right just after St Kew Highway via St Breward etc. ................ Hilly.

Try turning off left off the A39 and going through St Kew Highway to Delabole to Camelford Station and go over Slaughter Bridge. Turn left onto the A39 but it's only a mile or so, then take the A395 to turn off for Egloskerry.
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 10.16.27.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Well you've gotten to "meet" the legend of this forum "Mick F"!! He's cycled over every bridge that crosses the A30, visited almost all of the churches in cornwall and ridden from Lands end to john o'groats on his big chopper!
Rumour has it he was in the Royal navy for 30 years but I'm not sure if he's ever mentioned it on here.

To get the record straight ......... :D

All 26 bridges over the River Tamar in 2005.
79 bridges over the A30 Exeter to LE in 2018.
Only Cornish 25 parish churches left to do out of 226. Should finish those in May/Jun.
JOG to LE on a Raleigh Chopper 2010.
LE to JOG and back to LE on my Mercian in 2006, and JOG to LE on it back in 1994.
Also all 26 bridges over the River Tamar in 2005.

27years in the RN from 1969 to 1996.
Mick F. Cornwall
unclesomebody

Post by unclesomebody »

Brilliant - thank you for the further suggestion. Now encapsulated in this version: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32043172
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pleased to be of service! :D

One of the quests I'm on is to ride every road in Cornwall.
Stupid idea, but to be honest, I've nearly done it .......... within reason of course.
I've been - I reckon - on all the roads within half a mile of everywhere here. The parish churches quest is reinforcing all the little roads too.

After leaving the RN, I had a part-time job driving a delivery van. Did many many roads and towns ....... plus our elder daughter lived near Camelford, so I know all the roads very well indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Mick's route is great and easy to follow.

Didn't do robs passage as felliw CTC type cyclist said he was going to Taunton and would ride with me.

Going to be a long long day.

I was knackered by oakhampton!!

Cheers James
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jamesh wrote:Mick's route is great and easy to follow.

Didn't do robs passage as felliw CTC type cyclist said he was going to Taunton and would ride with me.

Cheers James

That's only half way in it :)
If that's a slick route I might use it on my end to end.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Definitely suggest you avoid the A30 east of the A390 junction. It is heavily trafficked single carriageway, winding and hilly so sightlines are short and carriageway width is limited in many places. I have driven large goods vehicles along this road and was not comfortable driving more than 45mph along most of it, less in some places, but many people do.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Jamesh wrote:Mick's route is great and easy to follow.

Cheers James

That's only half way in it :)
If that's a slick route I might use it on my end to end.

It was my first day and I was in a hurry to push on and I didn't fuel properly.
I did a similar thing on day two as I had family to meet but after that the lesson was learnt there's no better time spent on lejog than time spent eating!

Cheers James