Twenty a day for 2020?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Twenty a day for 2020?

Post by foxyrider »

So January is over, the summer is a month closer and thoughts turn once more to our cycling targets for the year whether they be event, distance or just getting in the saddle. :D

As is 'tradition' some of us have set ourselves various mileage 'challenges', for me its to hit 10,000 miles for a third year straight - no mean task wherever you are in life. I've started off well for January, i'm @ 100 miles ahead of target for the month.

Distance 1,520.0 km
Time 66h 32m
Elev Gain 13,667 m
Rides 13

That sits me at @ 30 miles per day and an average ride of just shy of 117km or 72.5 miles at @ 14mph avg. Overall i'm well chuffed with where i'm at, now if i can just keep it going through February.... :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jamesh

Re: Twenty a day for 2020?

Post by Jamesh »

Well done.

Ive done Red January where I have cycled or run every day in January apart from Wednesday (walked) and 15th daughters birthday.

Going to try and keep it up running or cycling each day doubling the running milage to convert into equivalent cycling milage...

I have a ultra marathon in march and some audax stuff over summer and Leeds Liverpool canal race in sept.

Cheers James
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

No chance! My optimistic target is to average 400 mls per month. More realistic, still to be able to ride by end of the year!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I will be trying for my 8th consecutive year of 10,000 miles. This started as a one off but then somehow I got the bright idea of trying for 10,000 miles a year for 10 years! :roll:
It's not got off to the greatest start with a measly 93 miles for January! This is not unexpected as we spent a week visiting family and then had 3 weeks in Morocco. My other half does need a rest from my cycling obsession sometimes!! :D
Hopefully February's mileage will be rather higher.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

For the past 10 years I've set a target of 5,000 miles.
Achieved it 4 times, usually managed, 4,000+
I find life & other commitments get in 5he way.

Last year was only 3000, However I had a good excuse as I broke my hip & was on crutches for 5 months!
Plenty of indoor training helped to scrape 3k in, with a 72 mile ride on 31st December.

Hoping this year will be better, currently on around 450 miles, however most of that in via zwift.
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020? February

Post by foxyrider »

Well i'm a little late posting this - I blame the weather :lol:

It seems that 2020 is doing its best to thwart us all in our riding ambitions, wet and wind in particular disrupting plans across the nation.

Except that I still seem to be gathering the kilometres at a goodly rate - go figure. So my numbers for February are thus:

February
11 ride days
1396 km avg 127 km
11983 m avg 1089 m

ytd

24 ride days
2916 km avg 121.5 km
25650 m avg 1069 m

I moved several ride days to miss the February weather and lost 2 planned rides altogether, OTOH I did get in a 176km ride, the first imperial century of 2020 for me, last year I did a total of 6, the first of which being in April so i'm sort of ahead of the game and as far as my 10k mile target is concerned, i'm enough ahead to allow me to miss a couple of rides without it affecting my ambitions!

Enough about me, how are the rest of you coping with the weather etc? Are you getting out or are you waiting for Mr Blue Sky? :wink:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Well it sounds like you're doing a lot better than me foxyrider! Being away for virtually all of January obviously didn't help and the endless rain and gales in February have made getting back on track much harder than I expected. A mere 862 miles for the year at the end of February.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Plenty of indoor training helped to scrape 3k

Do people include indoor miles in their total? I certainly don't. I also separate out road miles done using the motor - usually less than 10% of the ride as it's only purpose is to help on the more severe hills.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

djnotts wrote:No chance! My optimistic target is to average 400 mls per month. More realistic, still to be able to ride by end of the year!

470 in Jan and 410 in Feb (I plead weather and number of days at hospital - to be still riding at end of year looking increasingly unlikely!).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Grandad wrote:
Plenty of indoor training helped to scrape 3k

Do people include indoor miles in their total? I certainly don't. I also separate out road miles done using the motor - usually less than 10% of the ride as it's only purpose is to help on the more severe hills.

i don't do indoor riding but i guess it still counts, as to E riding, well its still riding, but i would only seperate full rides with or without.

So how are you going?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

So how are you going?

I'm going slower and slower and the rides are becoming shorter and shorter :(

I've accepted that age makes this inevitable but not so happy with the atrial fibrillation that makes climbing hills too strenuous and so limits where I can get to. Hence the need for just limited electric assistance to get up these.

Since getting the Orbea Gain last September I have done 79 miles using the motor and 848 with it switched off.

When I go with the club Easyride I use the audax bike and over the same length of time have done 949 miles on it.

Domestic matters limit me to 2 rides a week so to average 10 miles a day is a realistic target. I qualified for the 300,000 club over 20 years ago and credit this with enabling me to still enjoy riding at 84.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Grandad wrote:
I qualified for the 300,000 club over 20 years ago and credit this with enabling me to still enjoy riding at 84.

Chapeau!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

March is over thank the Gods, the first week i missed riding as i was away visiting family, went for a run when i got back and injured a toe which combined with a head cold, kept me indoors for another few days. Of course, to cap it all off, we then started the Corona lock down. The latter hasn't affected my riding too much, well okay, i've adapted my rides to miss population centres, rides that i would have done with a cafe stop are not viable, i know that some of you have cut back on your riding or even stopped in favour of indoor trainers or other forms of exercise.

So all in all March has not been great, i managed 9 rides covering 1122km with just 8994m of climbing

Avg ride 125km
Avg climbing 999m
ytd 81 days avg ride 44km
ytd 81 days avg climb 381m

In the end i just reached 4000km total for the ytd which leaves me on target for 16k km/10k miles for the year - but who knows how Covid may affect this in the coming weeks.

So how are the rest of you faring? are you still getting out or have you abandoned your targets/plans?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

djnotts wrote:
djnotts wrote:No chance! My optimistic target is to average 400 mls per month. More realistic, still to be able to ride by end of the year!

470 in Jan and 410 in Feb (I plead weather and number of days at hospital - to be still riding at end of year looking increasingly unlikely!).

And 471 in March, despite losing 7 days being on holiday. Do for me.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Despite the current crisis March has been my best mileage month of the year so far with 1025 miles cycled. The weather has been good, no rain for about 3 weeks now after endless rain all winter. I don't use cafes and the majority of my rides are solo and along quiet lanes where I rarely see other people so I am carrying on much as normal. I do miss my riding buddies on a Sunday though.
Total mileage for the year 1887miles, getting back on track!