Raleigh RSP Travelogue 708

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
neilob

Raleigh RSP Travelogue 708

Post by neilob »

I just picked up a lovely Raleigh touring bike with RSP branding and a full XT 9-speed groupset. I’m guessing it is quite a rare bike (I’ve never seen one before) and is built from Reynolds 708 tubing with all normal braze ons and front and rear racks. It carries the Travelogue name and is in lovely condition underneath a few years of grime from storage following the sad death of its previous owner. It shares some of the Randonneur’s features including the spare spokes mounted on the lhs chainstay. The head badge is the round stainless RSP version. It definitely needs a clean and I will post pictures when it is more presentable but in the meantime does anyone have any information on this bike?
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
peetee

Re: Raleigh RSP Travelogue 708

Post by peetee »

Sounds lovely. But then I am bias. I have a RSP 708 cyclocross frame as my everyday bike and am very happy with it. Never seen another, for real or online. Perhaps we can start a RRR club: Riders of Rare Raleighs!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
neilob

Post by neilob »

What I have discovered so far is that this is a 1999 frame from the ‘J’ frame number and is broadly similar to a Randonneur but in black. I think the Special Products division was closed down in late 1999 which maybe makes this one of the last hand built frames? It has a dynamo mount on the left fork leg, full rack mounts front and back, and spare spoke carrier on the left chainstay. The head badge is RSP. It came with a full XT groupset. I am taking it out tomorrow for my first ride having given it a fettle. I will post pictures after.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Robby

Post by Robby »

I have a late model Randonneur fitted with the silver RSP head badge , I used it for a couple of short rides , I did have a particular use for it at the time so put
into storage . Does your have the Magura hydraulic brakes ?
John .
neilob

Post by neilob »

Mine has cantis
neilob

Post by neilob »

Here’s a picture of the bike. Currently with straight bars but I am planning on fitting drops and STIs soon. I took it out today for a 30 mile ride and it was very comfortable and stable. Love it!
Attachments
DAA11B92-2445-4748-85F3-050252E6EA88.jpeg
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Nice bike. I notice the left hand fork leg has the brazed bracket for a front wheel rim dynamo. The last version (red framed, Magura braked) 708 Randonneurs came equipped with lighting powered from a dynamo mounted on that bracket which doesn't feature on my earlier blue version.
Looks like the Travelogue was indeed a small volume, less comprehensively kitted out tourer using the late Randonneur frame, though in my opinion is no less desirable for that.
Unfortunately there's little chance of me picking up either model in my size...........
neilob

Post by neilob »

Since getting the bike I have changed out the XT brakes and removed the dynamo and front rack, and fitted straight bars and thumb shifters to replace the drops and bar end shifters. All this just to get it on the road to test it. This bike even has internal cable for lighting which I haven’t seen before. My sense is that it is actually better equipped than Randonneurs (although I am no expert) because of the full XT groupset. But maybe Randonneurs had that too? I stupidly sold my Thorn Club Tour last year due to health issues thinking I was confined to ebikes but lately I am managing 30-40 miles without a battery albeit slowly. This Raleigh will be a very acceptable replacement for the Thorn! From the date code, I am guessing it could be one of the very last hand built steel Raleighs.
peetee

Post by peetee »

This is another derivative of the 708 frameset from Raleigh. It is a cyclocross frame with cantilever bosses as per the touring bikes but no mudguard or carrier eyes or water bottle bosses. On closer inspection it was noticeable that the down tube had filled in holes for a bottle cage. It was quite normal for the tubes to be supplied like this from Reynolds. I have added down tube mountings since purchase.
There was another 708 frame tub set, I think it was called the Classic. It featured on a production Peugeot road bike and I believe, although I am not certain, that the top tube was a standard 25.4 diameter unlike the ‘oversized’ 28.6mm tube used in the Touristique set. In my experience the oversized tube is a valuable addition as it noticeably stiffens the main frame in lateral movement.
58F8FE8F-41C9-4CF7-903A-F62706314254.jpeg

The frame was an eBay purchase and had been used by a cyclocross team. Curiously it was devoid of the Raleigh name but had Dyna-Tech decals. This was a Raleigh trade name associated with their bonded steel, aluminium and titanium bikes and this frame is the only example of a conventional brazed frame carrying this name that I know of outside the realm of professional cycle racing sponsorship by Raleigh themselves.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

neilob wrote:Since getting the bike I have changed out the XT brakes and removed the dynamo and front rack, and fitted straight bars and thumb shifters to replace the drops and bar end shifters. All this just to get it on the road to test it. This bike even has internal cable for lighting which I haven’t seen before. My sense is that it is actually better equipped than Randonneurs (although I am no expert) because of the full XT groupset. But maybe Randonneurs had that too? I stupidly sold my Thorn Club Tour last year due to health issues thinking I was confined to ebikes but lately I am managing 30-40 miles without a battery albeit slowly. This Raleigh will be a very acceptable replacement for the Thorn! From the date code, I am guessing it could be one of the very last hand built steel Raleighs.

Hurrah,

Someone else who has one of these.

They are Uber- rare and yours is the only other example I have come across - I just wish I’d seen it so I could buy - you are very, very, lucky to have this!

From reading the thread:

Raleigh Special Products only used the rather beautiful stainless steel head badge in the last year of production which was 99-2000 as the unit was closed in mid 2000.

This frame is essentially last generation Randonneur but with a different name and a trekking set up as they normally had flat bars or butterfly bars.

1st generation Randonneurs:
531 st tubing in gunmetal grey.

2nd generation: 94-98 (need to check notes off the top of my head).
Blue, Reynolds 708 tubing, deore Dx groupset, with increased room for 35mm tyres and mudguards. I own one but have added Son dynamo and LED lights.

3rd generation: 99-2000
Red, Reynolds 708 tubing, full XT with Magura hydraulic rim brakes and rare as hens teeth dropped hydraulic levers HS66, and dynamo (tyre driven). Internal wire routing for dynamo. I own one.

My Travelogue has full XT, with XT v-brakes, butterfly bars, dynamo on front wheel (wiring comes through mudguard to rear light - very neat). I drove from London to Worksop to collect and it had limited mileage for a year or so and been in storage. Apart from some paint chips on the rear stay, it was like new.

You are certainly correct that, having full XT, it is better than the earlier Randonneurs but this brings it in line with the last generation which were superb. It is a very, very, rare bike built in very small volumes and, from what I have read and seen, it was only produced in black. I hope you enjoy.

I’ll take a picture of mine in a few weeks when back at work ( as stored there).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Mark, can’t wait to see the pictures!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Hello,

First day in work after shoulder/AC ligament reconstruction surgery and here are some pictures of my Raleigh Travelogue:
B6DAD7A7-F5BC-444C-98D9-EE649482A0E0.jpeg

32F824BD-8017-4046-86DE-2FCC36D166D4.jpeg
F83C5A23-7194-4E00-89AC-45432F5CCA02.jpeg
C45AFFE4-F5A5-471A-8465-A3743D48077A.jpeg
Last edited by markjohnobrien on 6 Apr 2020, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Further pictures:
294DDF43-9384-4293-99CB-FEC793B86AAB.jpeg

D97B2C0C-450B-474C-BBE4-292F3902CD7C.jpeg

B8B4AE1F-1396-4564-8B93-F6B2A63FABE8.jpeg
C3D042A6-BD1A-44AA-A250-4771F33D363E.jpeg
1200F471-806D-47A4-951B-9EFDF4B2612A.jpeg
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

9FB3000C-8F3D-47C2-8B2F-EB129EBF0299.jpeg

BF0F8C24-6B37-49FE-8224-876CD754CB57.jpeg

48B24768-E56D-40A2-B3A7-F791035FEC53.jpeg
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

The bike is as bought- however, I will be making the following slight changes:

Dynamo wheel (Shimano 3n80 from Rosebikes) to replace tyre dynamo (already in parts box).

Philips Saferide 60 dynamo light to replace old Union light (already in parts box).

Philips Saferide rear dynamo light to replace older light (already in parts box).

Not much else needs changing as it’s a top class tourer with high quality frame and components.