Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
mercalia wrote:Image

.... Didnt see any pasta or rice......

I wonder what would happen if the supermarkets posted a sign above the pasta along the lines of "Pasta is Italian". Cynic in me suspects the shelves would remain full and untouched.

Ian

unless they are italian. Streatham lidl clients seem to be 50% foreigners. You can tell who they are when you see them buy 10 cases or so of water assuming that the water in the UK and in London is not drinkable...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

well I wonder what will happen if some poor soul is out and about with a cough? lynched? vigilantes?

I have asthma and I cough all the time!

I see that the CMO thinks we already have between 5,000 and 10,000 cases.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Mar 2020, 4:24am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Well, they've just closed all schools, nurseries, etc. in Norway.

I think they are on the point of doing the same here in South Wales. But what happens if lots of people stay protected for, say, a month, then emerge to normal life? Will the virus have simply passed by, or will it be there and waiting for them?

I think that they are mainly trying to delay the spread, and will resume normal things gradually.

But for now, the internet in Norway will have a heavy load until at least Easter.

Many, many things are now closed until further notice. Gyms and training centres; providers of personal services, such as nail care, tattoos & piercings, massage, etc.; swimming pools, sports centres, all closed. Also restaurants and bars are only allowed to be open if they can maintain at least 1 metre 'social distancing' and prepare individual portions. No buffets or salad bars. All sports and culture arrangements are now cancelled.

No visits to care homes or retirement homes.

I don't know what, if anything, the government will do to support the businesses that are forced to close because of this.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

how will we know when its all over and can get back to normal?

a spokesman for the govt on Radio 4 PM said that the number of infected was probably understated with more in the region of 5-10,000 than the stated 500 or so
Last edited by John1054 on 12 Mar 2020, 7:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Last comment removed to avoid anti Lords rhetoric
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:.... Didnt see any pasta or rice......

I wonder what would happen if the supermarkets posted a sign above the pasta along the lines of "Pasta is Italian". Cynic in me suspects the shelves would remain full and untouched.

Ian

unless they are italian. Streatham lidl clients seem to be 50% foreigners. You can tell who they are when you see them buy 10 cases or so of water assuming that the water in the UK and in London is not drinkable...

A few relevant headlines about the panic stockpiling we are seeing

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/03/12/still-plenty-of-porridge-say-supermarkets-2/ wrote:‘STILL PLENTY OF PORRIDGE’ SAY SUPERMARKETS
Supermarkets across the UK say they are running dangerously low on all food supplies although nearly all stocks of porridge remain unaffected.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

PMs briefing probably as straight as could be. Didn't put a figure on deaths, but reading between lines and CSOs numbers comes out at 500,000. Failed, for obvious reasons, to state who will choose who not to treat and on what criteria. Medics will need a "score sheet".
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

djnotts wrote:PMs briefing probably as straight as could be. Didn't put a figure on deaths, but reading between lines and CSOs numbers comes out at 500,000. Failed, for obvious reasons, to state who will choose who not to treat and on what criteria. Medics will need a "score sheet".

Thats very chilling.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I wonder what would happen if the supermarkets posted a sign above the pasta along the lines of "Pasta is Italian". Cynic in me suspects the shelves would remain full and untouched.

Ian

A few relevant headlines about the panic stockpiling we are seeing

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/03/12/still-plenty-of-porridge-say-supermarkets-2/ wrote:‘STILL PLENTY OF PORRIDGE’ SAY SUPERMARKETS
Supermarkets across the UK say they are running dangerously low on all food supplies although nearly all stocks of porridge remain unaffected.

Ian

tinned octopus, thats some new to me.any special nationality that eats that? I'll have a look tomorrow re the porridge
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Coronavirus: Should I self-isolate and how do I do it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

Spending 15 minutes within 2m (6ft) of someone with the virus, or having face-to-face contact, is judged as close contact and a significant risk.

so now its 2m not 1m

some quite chilling suggestions
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:Coronavirus: Should I self-isolate and how do I do it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

Spending 15 minutes within 2m (6ft) of someone with the virus, or having face-to-face contact, is judged as close contact and a significant risk.

so now its 2m not 1m

some quite chilling suggestions

It's probably still 1m really but allows for people's poor judgement of distance so if you say 2m pretty much everyone should manage 1m or more! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Capture.JPG
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

looking further at that press report
The advice states:
Not to go to work, school, or public areas, use public transport or taxis - or even for a walk
Those with even mild symptoms of infection should stay at least two metres away from other people in their homes, and should sleep alone
Those with confirmed or suspected cases should use a separate bathroom

let them eat cake drivel from boris.gov.uk " 2 metres inside your home, that means ringing a bell to say "I'm coming through, unclean coming through make way" so others can retreat to erm the sides of the room. Sleep alone, so emergency army beds to be supplied for we with only a double bed. And as for separate bathroom, guzzunda and galvanised bath tub time is it?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Quit judging...
Quit judging...
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

mercalia wrote:Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus.

well I wonder what will happen if some poor soul is out and about with a cough? lynched? vigilantes?

Today’s advice seemed pretty mild to me, somewhat British, really - don’t go on a cruise ship if you’re Old (duh!), don’t spread your sniffle/cough around if you’ve got one - doesn’t seem an unreasonable ask. There had been some unpleasantness towards individuals but overall, sitting on a train sniffing ranks with putting your feet or a bag on the seats, or spitting as I saw a young guy do today.

10-14 weeks before we hit the peak - China says it thinks it has peaked. “A lot of families are going to lose a loved one before their time” - pretty chilling stuff from the PM. He doesn’t exactly seem all over this issue - I can’t tell if that’s from statesmanship, indifference or incompetence.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

David9694 wrote:

Today’s advice seemed pretty mild to me, somewhat British, really - don’t go on a cruise ship if you’re Old (duh!), don’t spread your sniffle/cough around if you’ve got one - doesn’t seem an unreasonable ask. There had been some unpleasantness towards individuals but overall, sitting on a train sniffing ranks with putting your feet or a bag on the seats, or spitting as I saw a young guy do today.

10-14 weeks before we hit the peak - China says it thinks it has peaked. “A lot of families are going to lose a loved one before their time” - pretty chilling stuff from the PM. He doesn’t exactly seem all over this issue - I can’t tell if that’s from statesmanship, indifference or incompetence.

The last two.

From an article in the Independent written by a Doctor who's actually working on Coronavirus cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 97736.html

"China had the capacity to build 2,000-bed hospitals, lock down 750 million people, and fly in thousands of medical staff. Italy, despite having a well-resourced healthcare sector, has been overwhelmed. With 100,000 missing staff, 10,000 missing doctors, 40,000 missing nurses and around £3bn missing from our budget, we have neither Italy’s well-resourced healthcare system nor China’s capacity."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker