Reward for reporting idling cars.

Cyril Haearn

Re: Reward for reporting idling cars.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bus chassises with engines and warmly dressed drivers on the M6, I remember seeing them, I think the body was bolted on at Workington
If one has a big house one just says, 'Parker, fetch the Rolls!'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bus chassises with engines and warmly dressed drivers on the M6, I remember seeing them, I think the body was bolted on at Workington

Yes, that could well have been it, what with me being oop north, tha nos. What a job, driving one of them, eh? Probably not allowed anymore - pha! Nanny state, health and safety gone mad, etc. etc.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yeah, I've seen them too. Don't know where they were heading – driving west through Gloucestershire. Drivers wearing m/c helmets.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Recently?
Barks

Post by Barks »

Why can’t you just scrape the windscreen and windows free of frost then get in, start the engine and move off? Just wear appropriate clothing including gloves to cover being cold - It takes 2-3 minutes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mikeymo wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Bus chassises with engines and warmly dressed drivers on the M6, I remember seeing them, I think the body was bolted on at Workington

Yes, that could well have been it, what with me being oop north, tha nos. What a job, driving one of them, eh? Probably not allowed anymore - pha! Nanny state, health and safety gone mad, etc. etc.

Don't see why not, assuming there was a selt belt and mudguards.

cf link on P2 of this thread:

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/7455 ... /#comments
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Barks wrote:Why can’t you just scrape the windscreen and windows free of frost then get in, start the engine and move off? Just wear appropriate clothing including gloves to cover being cold - It takes 2-3 minutes

Because the windows are still cold and mist up very quickly
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Unfortunately we have this silly habit of breathing even in cold weather. It doesn't take long to mist up cold glass.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:Unfortunately we have this silly habit of breathing even in cold weather. It doesn't take long to mist up cold glass.

I used to juggle the HVAC in my plug in hybrid to avoid fogging and keep the ICE from firing until I chose (so I could maximise EV use in the stop-start urban leg before the Mway) so it is possible, but a faff tbh. I was younger & more obsessive then :D
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Oldjohnw wrote:Unfortunately we have this silly habit of breathing even in cold weather. It doesn't take long to mist up cold glass.

Hang on, I have the solution!! I'll just hold my breath while driving, until the windows are free of condensation. Of course the gradual diminution of mental faculties, loss of concentration, dizziness, fainting, then death, could be seen as a downside to this approach. Still, at least I won't have left the car running for a few minutes to make it possible to see out of the windows.

Keep 'em coming folks. Together we can conquer the evil of leaving the engine running on the drive on a frosty morning.
Last edited by mikeymo on 14 Mar 2020, 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

well Mikey.... you know our other popular line at Forums'R'us, the corona virus one. Well why don't we re-use the masks that we thought was protecting we from the virus. If we wear them inside out, that will stop us breathing for loadsa of time out of fear of ingesting the bug. Bit like having a sharpened point on the steering wheel.

Though one or two posters could be right, it's our cabin heaters that are inadequate to the task, so lets turbo charge them like wot
engines are nowadays. I believe there is a turbo charged vacuum cleaner on the for sale or rent board, using double sided sticky tape and chewing gum, take the engine exhaust through the boot, to spin up the turbo that then flings out super heated air at the windscreen instantly clearing it.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:well Mikey.... you know our other popular line at Forums'R'us, the corona virus one. Well why don't we re-use the masks that we thought was protecting we from the virus. If we wear them inside out, that will stop us breathing for loadsa of time out of fear of ingesting the bug. Bit like having a sharpened point on the steering wheel.

Though one or two posters could be right, it's our cabin heaters that are inadequate to the task, so lets turbo charge them like wot
engines are nowadays. I believe there is a turbo charged vacuum cleaner on the for sale or rent board, using double sided sticky tape and chewing gum, take the engine exhaust through the boot, to spin up the turbo that then flings out super heated air at the windscreen instantly clearing it.

Most excellent dude!! And imagine how much we're saving the planet by avoiding the hot exhaust gases being wasted. You've clearly thought about this in great depth.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

After reading the lantern rouge thread, realized how obvious and simples the perfick solution really is.

Take the windscreen indoors with you each night. In the morning take the warm dry windscreen, refit into car, quickly start and chocks away
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:After reading the lantern rouge thread, realized how obvious and simples the perfick solution really is.

Take the windscreen indoors with you each night. In the morning take the warm dry windscreen, refit into car, quickly start and chocks away

I think you're heading towards the perfect solution.

My brother-in-law used to take us all swimming on a Sunday morning. He had a jeep with a canvas top and fold down windscreen. Hair dry in no time.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Recently?

Decades ago. At least the 1990s, probably the 80s.