Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by foxyrider »

Apparently the Czech Republic is now essentially under lockdown. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

This is happening everywhere, and for a reason, even though it may not make much of a difference. The important thing is that the virus is spreading and that contacts should be reduced as much as possible. The UK is running a bit behind the European continent, so awareness does not seem to have reached the same level. Forget about tours for the next few months.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As someone who is in the thick of it at the moment, I would say that it is almost impossible to predict.

Six weeks ago when I left the UK for Vietnam, I thought I was going into the lions den. Now Vn has a very low number of cases and the UK is part of the world's hotspot.

Visas for people travelling to Vn from UK and European countries have been suspended. Anyone entering from infected area (Europe, UK, etc) has mandatory 14 days quarantine. The FCO have just put on a (no) travel advisory because of the risk of being put in quarantine at any time - that must be a first.

Borders all over the region are having their entry requirements changed, some on a daily basis. Ones that you used to freely pass over now need extra documentation.

On a personal level, I have been refused a hotel on a few occasions because I'm British. I have had no direct animosity, but that can change very quickly. I have changed a flight to avoid being stuck if certain borders close. I am almost certainly coming home early from what ironically I feel is a relatively safe country with unlimited supplies of toilet paper, to a disease ridden panic stricken one.

What you see and what you expect today may be very different if the guano really hits the fan. Borders closing, transport shut down and most worryingly, anti foreigner restrictions and maybe worse.

My advice is make everything as flexible as possible and have good fallback plans. Enjoy the ride.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When the snow melts in the mountains, I may try a camping tour, but sticking to Norway, and mostly being by myself. I will need it, if we are partially isolated with kids the whole time!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

simonhill wrote:As someone who is in the thick of it at the moment, I would say that it is almost impossible to predict.

Six weeks ago when I left the UK for Vietnam, I thought I was going into the lions den. Now Vn has a very low number of cases and the UK is part of the world's hotspot.

Visas for people travelling to Vn from UK and European countries have been suspended. Anyone entering from infected area (Europe, UK, etc) has mandatory 14 days quarantine. The FCO have just put on a (no) travel advisory because of the risk of being put in quarantine at any time - that must be a first.

Borders all over the region are having their entry requirements changed, some on a daily basis. Ones that you used to freely pass over now need extra documentation.

On a personal level, I have been refused a hotel on a few occasions because I'm British. I have had no direct animosity, but that can change very quickly. I have changed a flight to avoid being stuck if certain borders close. I am almost certainly coming home early from what ironically I feel is a relatively safe country with unlimited supplies of toilet paper, to a disease ridden panic stricken one.

What you see and what you expect today may be very different if the guano really hits the fan. Borders closing, transport shut down and most worryingly, anti foreigner restrictions and maybe worse.

My advice is make everything as flexible as possible and have good fallback plans. Enjoy the ride.

Well said. Nature and climate’s hand in this shouldn’t be underestimated.
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote:Things are likely to be different in a few months, or at least that is what we all hope. In the meantime it will certainly get rather worse, but the same also applies to the UK. You are a little bit behind us, but only just a little bit.

We've just overtaken you.

No surprise as we seem determined to let this thing do its stuff and to hell with the old folk.

Still hoping to fit a tour in as long as France doesn't do a lock down.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I noticed that the UK has indeed. Our senior university virologist (and WHO expert) working in the Rotterdam medical school just said in an interview that we should all practice social isolation wherever possible. It is the only way to get on top of the virus. Do you really have to have a birthday party? she said. Do you really have to invite people for dinner?
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote:I noticed that the UK has indeed. Our senior university virologist (and WHO expert) working in the Rotterdam medical school just said in an interview that we should all practice social isolation wherever possible. It is the only way to get on top of the virus. Do you really have to have a birthday party? she said. Do you really have to invite people for dinner?

Do you really have to look after elderly members of your family? Did she say that. :(

Thanks anyway Willem, we don;t have that advice just yet - its a complete mess.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Oi, Ossie, I'm one of the 'old folk' that you speak about in your post - I'm 74 this year but still tour, ride back and forth to our French home (600m each way, camping at night), and I don't have a car in France so have to (from choice) ride everywhere - a 24km round trip to buy a pint of milk.
Old I may be but not infirm; reckon to have a few 0000 more km in my legs before I eventually peg out, and probably ride more km each year than many on this forum - and you as well.
Don't right us off, just because the numbers are high: everything is relative.

Damn cheek.
Attachments
Tunnel du Bois Clair (1).jpg
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The argument about the elderly is that they may be fit but are still far more vulnerable. So the virologist said that if the young continue partying, get infected but only experience mild symptoms, the elderly may get infected as well but die.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Just for info.

2000hrs UK time tonight the president of Spain declared a state of emergency.
Movement in the street is to be confined to food and medicine purchases, retrieving cash for such purchases and travel to work.
All law enforcement is now under control of central government.
I've no idea of fines or penalties.
Provisionally the state of emergency will last two weeks.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Morzedec wrote:Oi, Ossie, I'm one of the 'old folk' that you speak about in your post - I'm 74 this year but still tour, ride back and forth to our French home (600m each way, camping at night), and I don't have a car in France so have to (from choice) ride everywhere - a 24km round trip to buy a pint of milk.
Old I may be but not infirm; reckon to have a few 0000 more km in my legs before I eventually peg out, and probably ride more km each year than many on this forum - and you as well.
Don't right us off, just because the numbers are high: everything is relative.

Damn cheek.

I think you misread my post my friend. The UK Government have basically given your generation a death warrant, perhaps not you but the rest seem to be some kind of collateral if they have any sort of underlying medical condition.

Take care.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Morzedec cycles so much, his effective age is probably much lower than 74
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think there will be a gov u turn within 48hrs.

229 drs have opposed gov advice as have the opposition.

Most older people have self isolated anyway.

Care homes are shutting their doors too.

It's those with chronic poor health who will suffer as they will still be in the community and be at risk.

Just my thoughts......

Cheers James
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Brexit argument = "Don't listen to the experts, we just want brexit"

Corona virus argument = "Don't listen to the experts, we just want isolation"

I think I see a pattern forming...